Ruger American pistol 9mm (Read 1682 times)

mrgaf

Ruger American pistol 9mm
« on: November 11, 2018, 03:59:06 PM »
Picked up from Warren Oshiro on Friday (what a great guy he is). Built like a tank but is a little heavy. Take down is a snap. Gave it a good cleaning and checked everything for porpoise function. Only prob I had was the right side slide release lever would not release the slide (left side worked fine). Oiled it and ran it thru it’s paces with no luck. Took the fire control block out of the frame and proceeded to remove the ambi slide release. Noticed the right side was ever so slightly bent inwards while the left side was straight. Figured the inward bend was not permitting the right side release to travel fully downward (the levers sit-in a shallow pocket). Got the vice out, put the assembly in the vice and managed to pull the right side lever out to match the left. Reassembled and worked flawlessly.
took it to the range today and put a couple hundred 155gr reloads thru it. No jams,FTF or FTE. Accuracy was good and spot on with a 6 o’clock hold. Ejecting the mags was easy using the left or right slide release buttons. Mags were a royal PIA to load. Unbelievable spring tension! The hulk would have trouble loading em up (looks like maglula or a Ruger mag loader is in my future).
As a side note I got the return package from Ruger for the recall. All packed up and ready to go. Hopefully everything will be back within the promised “one week” turn around time....... :thumbsup:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Inspector

Re: Ruger American pistol 9mm
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 07:30:13 PM »
Picked up from Warren Oshiro on Friday (what a great guy he is). Built like a tank but is a little heavy. Take down is a snap. Gave it a good cleaning and checked everything for porpoise function. Only prob I had was the right side slide release lever would not release the slide (left side worked fine). Oiled it and ran it thru it’s paces with no luck. Took the fire control block out of the frame and proceeded to remove the ambi slide release. Noticed the right side was ever so slightly bent inwards while the left side was straight. Figured the inward bend was not permitting the right side release to travel fully downward (the levers sit-in a shallow pocket). Got the vice out, put the assembly in the vice and managed to pull the right side lever out to match the left. Reassembled and worked flawlessly.
took it to the range today and put a couple hundred 155gr reloads thru it. No jams,FTF or FTE. Accuracy was good and spot on with a 6 o’clock hold. Ejecting the mags was easy using the left or right slide release buttons. Mags were a royal PIA to load. Unbelievable spring tension! The hulk would have trouble loading em up (looks like maglula or a Ruger mag loader is in my future).
As a side note I got the return package from Ruger for the recall. All packed up and ready to go. Hopefully everything will be back within the promised “one week” turn around time....... :thumbsup:
Ruger’s CS has been outstanding in my experience. Let us know how it goes for you?

I can personally recommend the Maglula. I used to volunteer to load mags for the HRA SSF. Loaded thousands of rounds every weekend I volunteered with one. I own one as well.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

stangzilla

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 08:30:34 AM »
Congrats!  :shaka:
I also have the maglula. Great product.

mrgaf

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 04:34:05 PM »
Applied for the recall fix. Got the return package in 3 days. Mailed  the slide, barrel and recoil spring assembly back to them on their nickel last Thursday. Got a new slide and barrel back today the 23rd. WOW that was fast and first class service
:thumbsup: Ruger!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:45:05 PM by mrgaf »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Inspector

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 06:10:48 AM »
Applied for the recall fix. Got the return package in 3 days. Mailed  the slide, barrel and recoil spring assembly back to them on their nickel last Thursday. Got a new slide and barrel back today the 23rd. WOW that was fast and first class service
:thumbsup: Ruger!
This is very typical of my dealings with them as well. I’m glad you are happy with your new purchase.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!