Spanish Surplus 7.62 issues (Read 2581 times)

badandy

Spanish Surplus 7.62 issues
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:55:31 PM »
Hey gang, I was wondering if anyone purchased any Spanish surplus 7.62x51 from OGC a while back.  I purchased about 500 rounds and kept them in my safe(very dry, goldenrod and dessicant packs).  I had 1 of them fire out of 10.  Anyone else have problems with this ammo, or did i just get a bad batch?  Mahalo in advance!

oldfart

Re: Spanish Surplus 7.62 issues
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 11:24:56 PM »
Hey gang, I was wondering if anyone purchased any Spanish surplus 7.62x51 from OGC a while back.  I purchased about 500 rounds and kept them in my safe(very dry, goldenrod and dessicant packs).  I had 1 of them fire out of 10.  Anyone else have problems with this ammo, or did i just get a bad batch?  Mahalo in advance!
Am I reading this right?
Only 1 out of 10 fired? Or in other words you had 9 misfires out of 10 rounds?
What, Me Worry?

badandy

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 11:25:43 PM »
Yeah.   Good primer strikes and 9 failed to fire.

Tom_G

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 09:48:09 AM »
Surplus ammo can be unreliable.  While your storage precautions may be impeccable, you have no way of knowledge how it was treated in the decades before you received it.  I've got some 8x56R from pre-WWII Nazi Germany that goes BANG with 100% reliability, and I have some Turkish 8mm Mauser from (I think) 1928 that is prone to hangfires. 

That being said, with a 90% failure rate, I'd contact OGC and see if they've had other reports of similar performance.  Worst case scenario, disassemble the cartridges for their components then reload them, or sell them cheap to a reloader. 
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

OGC

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 03:11:01 PM »
We had a few people come in that said that their semi autos were getting failures to fire but that their bolt action rifle' had no issues at all with one lot.  Leads me to believe that the primers were either especially hard or that the anvil needs to have a very deep pinstrike.

We had a couple of different batches, what's on your headstamp?

badandy

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 09:58:48 PM »
We had a few people come in that said that their semi autos were getting failures to fire but that their bolt action rifle' had no issues at all with one lot.  Leads me to believe that the primers were either especially hard or that the anvil needs to have a very deep pinstrike.

We had a couple of different batches, what's on your headstamp?

Here's a couple pics.

Thanks a lot for the helpful replies.