Rem 870 parts (Read 2997 times)

aaronc5362

Rem 870 parts
« on: March 25, 2021, 03:42:30 PM »
Does anyone think the people who bought remington will continue to make parts ?

I wanted to get a new friggin barrel for my 870. 1 without chokes. Lol my choke is stuck, never cleaned it a few years ago. I aleeady been soaking it in pb blaster in a cut water bottle. And ill zap it with some heat from a wood burner before trying to remove it again.

Anyways, everyone, seems to be out of stock / discontinued.

I found some on Ebay for 499.99 which is utterly ridiculous.  Might as well buy a new shotty at that point.

Flapp_Jackson

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

aaronc5362

Re: Rem 870 parts
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 04:26:03 PM »
Nope never tried. But thank you for the insight. Ill definitely give that a try if my pb and heat does not work. Im hoping it does.

Currently im using flush fit rem choke (oem is stuck currently). I bought some carlsons extended cyl and imp. Cyl. Chokes since it has knurled ends.  ;)

I also wonder if i shoot 5-10 buck and slugs, the heat and vibration may break it loose. Lol

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 04:47:33 PM »
Nope never tried. But thank you for the insight. Ill definitely give that a try if my pb and heat does not work. Im hoping it does.

Currently im using flush fit rem choke (oem is stuck currently). I bought some carlsons extended cyl and imp. Cyl. Chokes since it has knurled ends.  ;)

I also wonder if i shoot 5-10 buck and slugs, the heat and vibration may break it loose. Lol

The threads on chokes are pretty small.  I know you were joking, but there's not much room for any movement other than twisting. 

Some YT comments say people who tried everything else use the EZ Out extractor, and it worked for them.

The key is that you can create more torque by using long handled wrenches and even extend that length by inserting the wrench's handle into a pipe.  The longer the lever, the more force you're applying with less effort.
-- Melvin Udall

jc2721

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 04:50:29 PM »
kroil

aaronc5362

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 04:53:41 PM »
Thanks flapp. I guess ill stop by and check home depot or lowes later. I could check their online website but i need to grab some wood and metal braces to "fix" 1 of my garage roof beams lol.

Its for a 20ga so i think i need to get 1 size smaller. The ex6.

:shaka: thanks again. 

aletheuo137

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 05:06:40 PM »
kroil
Good stuff!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

robtmc

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 05:48:31 PM »
Good stuff!
But Kroil just about non-existent in Hawaii, but maybe for you Honolulu guys.

Amazon and other places will not ship it here.
Am so frigging sick of this shipping stupidity.

robtmc

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 05:51:49 PM »
Have you tried this?
That second hammer whack made me cringe, thinking he may have just flared the tube enough to distort the barrel and mechanically lock things up.

robtmc

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 05:54:07 PM »
I wanted to get a new friggin barrel for my 870.
Still have the 26" full choke ribbed barrel that came with my 870 if that is what you are looking for.
Never got into skeet or such and only tried it out a few times before going 18" rifle sights.

you pay shipping from BI if you want it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 07:49:47 PM by robtmc »

Glasser

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 06:17:33 PM »
kroil

^this. I burned up a spray can of Kroil and managed to unfreeze everything on a 220V radial arm saw that had been sitting 150 yrds from the ocean for a decade in less than half a day. That stuff is straight up amazing. best results are saturating the part and gently tapping on the stuck part with a softer metal (vibration helps it migrate in between the two surfaces), let sit, rinse repeat. stubborn stuff usually pops out in under 10 mins.

aaronc5362

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 07:54:37 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Yup, i still have kroil. Only prob with leaving my barrel soaked in it for 24-48 hours, i think it ruined the finish on my other 6.8 barrel. Iirc, it did. Its been bout 10 years since i had that upper tho so i may be wrong. Ill try that after pb and heat. Then off to the extractor bwahaha.

Thanks rob, is it a 20ga? Lol.

robtmc

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 08:01:52 PM »

Thanks rob, is it a 20ga? Lol.
Ah, missed that, of course it is 12 ga.

aaronc5362

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 08:46:23 PM »
Haha no worries bro. I just visited the remington site.

No luck with barrels but i found out some good info on another forum.

So i guess when freedom group took over remington years ago (currently vista or whoever owns it now), they changed the serial numbers. The suffix (last letter of the serial number) means absolutely nooooooothing when they took over.. Mines end with the letter "B". I was hoping it was a "U" or "N" though. I was just checking if my receiver could handle 3 inch shells, my barrel can atleast cause it says so. I think its extraction issues if it cannot. But on another forum, it stated "all express, express tactical.... etc. Can handle 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells) ". Ive never shot 3 inch before so was just curious. Ive only been buying 3 inch forster slugs and brenneke slugs since the pandemic started cause thats all ive been finding. Before this, ive only bought 2 3/4 shells .

Fwiw i have a 20ga express. 18.5 barrel (came with rem choke - modified)

aaronc5362

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 08:52:11 PM »
Oh if anyone wants to buy kroil, go ebay, if you cannot find it locally. Online retailers like amazon will definitely not ship. But private sellers may.

I had to buy hornady oneshot one time. Someone from ebay shipped it to me. As macsak always say "we never do anything illegal" and technically i didnt. The shipper may have tho lol. Forgot if it was fedex or usps.  :thumbsup:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2021, 10:27:27 AM »
That second hammer whack made me cringe, thinking he may have just flared the tube enough to distort the barrel and mechanically lock things up.

The way the bit is cut, it twists as it goes into the hole.  That creates more of a "bite" into the part than having to push the sides out to fit.

Basically, it seats itself little by little.  Hitting it just enough for it to get stuck will prevent flaring.  Plus, you're only flaring the top if any at all.  The tapered shape of the bit only grabs the top of the choke.

But, yeah, hammers and guns in the hands of untrained "gunsmiths" can be scary.
-- Melvin Udall

Glasser

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2021, 12:06:27 PM »
Sounds like it's time to call Pacific Custom Rifle and hope Wayne isnt too busy to take it. (He is not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for).

aaronc5362

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 05:53:43 PM »
Thanks everryone. Yup i did check ebay out. I have the lightweight frame since mine was made in 2015. So i guess the older models which the 20ga was  :shaka: on the same frame as the 12 ga (example: wingmaster) wont fit. Ive emailed a few of those on ebay. I came close to a barrel at 255 shipped if i won. But i didnt lol. Its ok.

I think ill be able to get the choke out. Will prob try next week since i got other things to do this week. I just gotta be patient while doing it. Lol one of my least favorite virtues haha.

But thanks everyone :shaka: :shaka:

I also think ill be cerakoting it if all is well.

aaronc5362

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2021, 12:26:27 PM »
Sorry to ask this, but was hoping someone with more knowledge could help me understand this better or atleast fortify what im thinking is true. Ive read alot these past few days and found a friggin barrel for 258 ish shipped. Bnib from remington, but i purchased the last 1 from AIP tactical. There was 2 barrels at the beginning of this week and i was stupid enough not to send my questions asking this. But i jumped on the last 1. Pricey but he had other "unicorn " spare parts that are known to wear/rust/ break that i wanted to order. So it was a semi-impulse buy.

Please note: i will write 2.75 instead of 2 3/4 inch cause it seems easier with the decimal. Also it doesnt look like 23/4 lol.

First off my shotgun info.
Rem 870 express.
 Lightweight frame.
"CC"  serial number prefix.
 20ga.
 OEM barrel is marked 2.75 and 3  inch chamber.

Barrel i purchased: 20ga
2.75 inch chamber
26 inch vent rib
With mod choke (imma safely assume its a rem choke)

So i know remington thenlmselves did away with the "magnum" receivers back in 80s or so. Meaning the suffix "M" in 12 gauge and "U" or "N" in 20ga. And apparently all express models came with the "magnum" receivers since then. And in a notation on AIP tactical's website--they said if my serial number starts with "CC" which it does, then this barrel will fit my lightweight receiver. (Im good here, just wanted to share some background info)

I wanted to maybe ream the chamber to 3 inch (of course ill be asking wayne at pacific gun works for this job), is that all i need to do to be able to shoot 3 inch shells?  Like, i dont have to change the ejector since my factory barrel already says im able to shoot 3 inch. I know 2.75 frame sizes have a smaller ejection port,  so 3 inch shells will fail to eject properly (read that was a problem for people). Also someone on a forum mentioned that the extractor cut out needs to be made longer, no one commented on that but i would assume it wouldnt cause the barrel can only go so far back and literally stops. Also since shotguns (like most, if not all straightwall rimmed cartidges) headspace on the rim of the cartridge, id see no point or am i missing something there? I guess european ammo is tighter than american made ammo or so ive read.

Has anyone asked wayne to rechamber a shotgun barrel? I also know shotty barrels are thin as fuck so would it be a safety issue? Idk like, are 2.75 / 3 inch barrels made thicker at the chamber from the factory? Or 2.75 / 3 inch and 2.75 jnch only barrls made with the same wall thickness at the factory. That was kinda of a big talk on 1 forum and they guy who started the thread didnt post a follow up on how things went. Dont even know if he did it. But it was an old thread like ~2013.

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to chime in. If not, its ok.

One last question, if i cerakote this barrel, should i leave the choke in it when i send it out or not? Will they cerakore the part that actually go into the receiver? I could imagine a very tight fit if they do.

Thanks again