Extreme knifemaking skills (Read 2664 times)

zippz

Extreme knifemaking skills
« on: June 22, 2018, 06:24:32 PM »
Worlds sharpest knife made out of Jello

And other knife madness
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg3qsVzHeUt5_cPpcRtoaJQ
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

PeaShooter

Re: Extreme knifemaking skills
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 10:15:39 AM »
1) Makes into knife shape and dries jello up until solid.
2) Adds an edge with traditional methods.
3) Liquifies jello and shows you how to poison kids on Halloween.

Claims sharper than ceramic/stone knives? I dunno about that. He should try to make a really big jello katana since it is not legal to own them there. A big green katana would be very cool. You might even be able to kill someone with it if the blade is thick and sturdy enough.

mrgaf

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 10:49:16 PM »
1) Makes into knife shape and dries jello up until solid.
2) Adds an edge with traditional methods.
3) Liquifies jello and shows you how to poison kids on Halloween.

Claims sharper than ceramic/stone knives? I dunno about that. He should try to make a really big jello katana since it is not legal to own them there. A big green katana would be very cool. You might even be able to kill someone with it if the blade is thick and sturdy enough.

Hey me gonna try to make a screw driver out of a banana!  :wacko: :shake: :rofl: :shaka:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 11:11:01 PM »
Hey me gonna try to make a screw driver out of a banana!  :wacko: :shake: :rofl: :shaka:

I thought you make screwdrivers out of oranges.

:wacko:

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

zippz

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 01:50:44 AM »

Not sharper than high quality knives, just the sharpest knife made out of jello :).  It appears to be sharper than cheapo kitchen knives.  The knife would make it through an xray machine and metal detector.

There's other videos of him sharping a pencil sharpener and nail trimmer with his 30,000 grit stone.  Wish I could buy one of those sharpened nail trimmers.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

PeaShooter

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 02:49:03 PM »
At the end of the video it shows a list which says:

Sharpness Ranking (Non Metallic)

1. Carbon Fiber
2. Pasta (Durum semolina)
3. jello
4. Wood (Lignum vitae)
5. Plate (Gemstone)
6. Plastic food wrap (polyethylene/Nylon)
7. katsuobushi (Dried bonito)
8. ice (water / 100% polyester)
9. chocolate (Cacao100%chocolate / candy)

I dispute that. Dried up jello should not be harder than ceramic/plate/gemstone items. In fact rocks/gemstone are harder than metal, as they are what we use to sharpen metal. He says sharpness ranking and not hardness ranking, but usually sharpness is equated with hardness of a material.

zippz

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 02:58:03 PM »
At the end of the video it shows a list which says:

Sharpness Ranking (Non Metallic)

1. Carbon Fiber
2. Pasta (Durum semolina)
3. jello
4. Wood (Lignum vitae)
5. Plate (Gemstone)
6. Plastic food wrap (polyethylene/Nylon)
7. katsuobushi (Dried bonito)
8. ice (water / 100% polyester)
9. chocolate (Cacao100%chocolate / candy)

I dispute that. Dried up jello should not be harder than ceramic/plate/gemstone items. In fact rocks/gemstone are harder than metal, as they are what we use to sharpen metal. He says sharpness ranking and not hardness ranking, but usually sharpness is equated with hardness of a material.

Sharpness and hardness are two totally separate things.  Sharpness is the width of the blade.  Gemstones and hard durable objects would be more difficult to work and hence more difficult to get the finest edge.  Hardness determines what can be cut and how long the edge can stay sharp.

PeaShooter

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »
Hardness determining how well an edge can stay sharp is what relates the two, and why they are often considered to be the same, even though they are not, as you said. If the jello knife is very sharp but not hard and cannot cut many materials, then the sharpness doesn't mean much. The video demonstrates the cutting of paper and cucumbers, though it didn't look like it cut that clean to me. He should have tried to cut some chicken with skin on them or something to verify that it is lethal to humans.