Parkland School Deputy Arrested (Read 6127 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Parkland School Deputy Arrested
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 09:32:27 AM »
Aren't most police departments' mottos "to protect and serve"?

I guess the motto never specified who.   :-\

More like "To protect and serve, but we might be late"

I don't blame PD, they can't be johnny on the spot at all times, but I blame law makers for taking away the right to carry a gun for self defense.  And if anyone lives in a shall issue state and doesn't carry, then it's on them.  Don't blame the PD for not coming in time.  Blame yourself for not liking guns or not knowing about them.

oldfart

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 10:25:33 AM »
Aren't most police departments' mottos "to protect and serve"?

I guess the motto never specified who.   :-\
===========
 HPD cars sez "Integrity-Respect-Fairness"
What, Me Worry?

punaperson

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 10:36:22 AM »
===========
And below that, in teeny teeny tiny magnifying-glass-required font size it says "Won't be found around here [see:Kealohas, et al.]".

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 10:36:51 AM »
===========

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

oldfart

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 11:36:25 AM »
 :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

ren

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »
Deeds Not Words

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 09:55:03 PM »
The SCOTUS already ruled that PD have no duty to protect.  So regardless of the 2 things working for him or not, he has no duty to protect.  This is what pro 2a people have been saying since the SCOTUS ruling and why it's important for law abiding citizens to be allowed to carry a gun anywhere.  But according to your boss, if anyone in Hawaii is in fear/danger, just call HPD.  It states so on the CCW denial letter.

I can understand your "within reason" argument, but it is reasonable for responding PD to put themselves in danger for an active shooter, if not then don't sign up.  But again SCOUTS ruled other wise. 

But he didn't state that he was afraid.  Had he said he was scared and froze, then I would give him a bye.  Because no one knows how they will act during an active shooting.  Shit happens.  But he went beyond that and told responding PD to stay 500 feet away.  And video shows he didn't freeze and cower in a corner afraid.

My boss? Yes, I am aware of the SCOTUS ruling but I was addressing the other posters question about whether there could be some other type of duty.

Now as far as his job goes he could certainly be fired if the department's policy said he had some duty to protect.

My comment about being scared and froze was just my speculating on a possible defense he could try in court. Maybe there is enough evidence the prosecutor could prove it wasn't paralyzing fear but it is still something they will have to have an answer for if he tries to raise it.

changemyoil66

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 08:54:39 AM »
My boss? Yes, I am aware of the SCOTUS ruling but I was addressing the other posters question about whether there could be some other type of duty.

Now as far as his job goes he could certainly be fired if the department's policy said he had some duty to protect.

My comment about being scared and froze was just my speculating on a possible defense he could try in court. Maybe there is enough evidence the prosecutor could prove it wasn't paralyzing fear but it is still something they will have to have an answer for if he tries to raise it.

You're correct, it may not be a paralyzing fear, but there was another person with him that the video shows.  IDK who that was, maybe janitor.  And also I cant find a record of what was said between the 2 at the time.  But I do know that the armed RO didn't state he was afraid.

changemyoil66

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 07:31:20 AM »
2 more sheriffs fired for negligence of duty

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2ahavvaii

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 09:43:29 AM »
if his employment is at will, he can be fired for any reason outside of discrimination. that includes not rushing into a hail of bullets.

however, he is not guilty of any criminal charges.

punaperson

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2019, 10:15:01 AM »
if his employment is at will, he can be fired for any reason outside of discrimination. that includes not rushing into a hail of bullets.

however, he is not guilty of any criminal charges.
What about civil liability where the burden of proof is "preponderance of evidence" (versus the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard with criminal charges)?

2ahavvaii

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2019, 11:46:29 AM »
shouldnt matter.  no duty to protect.  only exception to that is if he had a specific charge as someone's guardian.  Such as if his job was to babysit X student for 1 hour per day, and he fell asleep on the job, and the child got injured.   Then he'd face civil lawsuit.