How do you apply for a concealed weapons permit in Hawaii? (Read 10520 times)

groveler

Re: How do you apply for a concealed weapons permit in Hawaii?
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2022, 11:26:07 AM »
IMO, since Hawaii County is following state law (HRS 134), and the state would be made aware the county lost the case, the state would have to change how every county operates re: issuing CCW licenses.

If they don't do that and only change HI county, the state would be opening themselves up to major lawsuits by intentionally violating applicant's Constitutional rights.  I could see punitive damages and perhaps even officials being sued personally.
Unless I'm wrong,  Young V Hawaii is about open carry.
Probably if open carry which is protected got the go ahead, it would make concealed
carry permits easier to get.
Open carry scares people for some reason.
 :popcorn:

Direjackalope

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2022, 11:30:49 AM »
Open carry the biggest most obnoxious gun possible. Taurus Raging Judge anyone?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2022, 11:53:55 AM »
Unless I'm wrong,  Young V Hawaii is about open carry.
Probably if open carry which is protected got the go ahead, it would make concealed
carry permits easier to get.
Open carry scares people for some reason.
 :popcorn:

If I read it right, the case was about carrying outside the home, which the local courts said was not being violated based on Heller which said you have a right to defend yourself at home, but concealed carry in public was not a right.

On appeal in the Young case, the appellate court ruled that open carry IS a right based on their historical analysis.  They also said the state's "reason" scheme eviscerated the 2A due to the words "bear arms".  They again looked at historical cases and concluded OPEN CARRY of a loaded gun in public for protection is, in fact, a right.

The issue now becomes Hawaii's carry licensing process.  The state denies all CC applications and has no open carry application process.  That's a defacto ban on ALL applicants seeking to "bear arms."  The court says the state can ban CC, but it must allow OC as an alternative.

Since HI County, and the state, have created a catch-22 (We don't issue concealed carry licenses because we don't have to, and we have no applications available for open carry), the appellate reversed the lower courts' decision.  Even though the issue HINGES on whether HI is failing to offer open carry licenses, it's really more about them offering concealed carry with open carry not being an option and then denying CC.

Throughout the history of gun laws, courts have applied "intermediate scrutiny" as the appropriate way to analyze gun laws.  The new SCOTUS ruling tore that to shreds, stating that a Constitutionally protected right should never be subject to intermediate scrutiny:

The Supreme Court has clarified though in its decision in D.C. v. Heller, and in NYSRPA v. Bruen,
the Court identified text as informed by history, and tradition as the correct basis of Judicial review.
Means and scrutiny are not appropriate.
Intermediate scrutiny, in U.S. constitutional law, is the second level of deciding issues using judicial review. The other levels are typically referred to as rational basis review (least rigorous) and strict scrutiny (most rigorous).

In order to overcome the intermediate scrutiny test, it must be shown that the law or policy being challenged furthers an important government interest by means that are substantially related to that interest.[1][2]

Makes sense, because the government should not be allowed to ignore protected rights meant to protect the nation and individuals against tyranny by claiming the law "furthers an important government interest ."  The interests of the government come second to the protected rights of the individual.

https://harvardlawreview.org/2019/05/young-v-hawaii/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 12:38:37 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

QUIETShooter

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2022, 12:02:06 PM »
IMO, since Hawaii County is following state law (HRS 134), and the state would be made aware the county lost the case, the state would have to change how every county operates re: issuing CCW licenses.

If they don't do that and only change HI county, the state would be opening themselves up to major lawsuits by intentionally violating applicant's Constitutional rights.  I could see punitive damages and perhaps even officials being sued personally.

Also I'm thinking this SCOTUS decision reaffirms citizens right for self protection.  So if Hawaii's legislatures start implementing BS legislation banning firearms from State, Federal, and school buildings along with other public places like airports, beaches, parks, stadiums, concerts, yada yada......then our legislature and the State of Hawaii have to accept the responsibility and accountability for the citizens lives and safety.

If anything happens to a citizen at these places where their firearms were banned, then the citizen or the families can sue the m******f**kn asses of legislators or the State in my opinion.

Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2022, 12:20:53 PM »
Also I'm thinking this SCOTUS decision reaffirms citizens right for self protection.  So if Hawaii's legislatures start implementing BS legislation banning firearms from State, Federal, and school buildings along with other public places like airports, beaches, parks, stadiums, concerts, yada yada......then our legislature and the State of Hawaii have to accept the responsibility and accountability for the citizens lives and safety.

If anything happens to a citizen at these places where their firearms were banned, then the citizen or the families can sue the m******f**kn asses of legislators or the State in my opinion.

The written opinion for the SCOTUS ruling went to great lengths to address many of these types of points.  They specifically called out how "sensitive places" have a historical precedence, and that arbitrarily adding more locations to that list simply for the sake of limiting concealed carry and circumventing the ruling -- not for any legit reason -- would be unconstitutional. 

If schools, national parks, federal buildings, courthouses, bars and other similar locations have been historically prudent to ban firearms, they can't then add movie theaters, beaches and/or restaurants to the list.  Nor can they designate an entire county, city or town as "sensitive."  i.e. no "gun control sanctuaries" allowed.
-- Melvin Udall

stangzilla

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2022, 02:08:17 PM »

I dont have that, but I do have a Ruger Bisley Hunter 44magnum 7.5" barrel. That's pretty obnoxiously big for open carry  :shaka:

stangzilla

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2022, 02:11:55 PM »
https://hifico.org/

You can see what they have to say about ccw in hawaii. I am optimistic, but I'll wait until its official. I'll get my passport pics. And I am already getting compact and micro compact pistols with holsters to prepare  :thumbsup:

stangzilla

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2022, 02:15:39 PM »

S&W 500 magnum  ;)

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2022, 02:20:48 PM »
S&W 500 magnum  ;)

The .44 Auto Mag is back in production ...   :geekdanc: :thumbsup:

-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2022, 02:45:11 PM »
https://hifico.org/

You can see what they have to say about ccw in hawaii. I am optimistic, but I'll wait until its official. I'll get my passport pics. And I am already getting compact and micro compact pistols with holsters to prepare  :thumbsup:
Those compact, subcompact and micro pistols apparently flying off dealer inventory. You’re ahead of the curve with some of your recent purchases. :geekdanc:

QUIETShooter

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2022, 03:32:11 PM »
I dont have that, but I do have a Ruger Bisley Hunter 44magnum 7.5" barrel. That's pretty obnoxiously big for open carry  :shaka:

I have a SW 29 with 8 3/8" Barrel.  Were you ever able to find a open carry holster for your Bisley?

I can't seem to find one for mine.  Best I could find was for a 6" Barrel.

I could do like the "Good, Bad, and the Ugly" character (was his name "Tuco"?) and just string a cord around the handle and hang the gun around my neck........ :crazy:

Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

kevlar

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2022, 05:41:16 PM »
Go to HPD site and you’ll see the CCW form. It’ll also tell you to bring 2 passport photos, a letter explaining why you have special cause (currently ruked against but we’ll see), and they’re going to make you fill out another PTA form. Also bring your handgun registration form, your ID, and any accessory paperwork you have when filling out a PTA

Forgive my ignorance, but when it says passport photos, it's in reference to the size and not an actual passport, right?

changemyoil66

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2022, 05:48:35 PM »
HI already diaregarded 1 judges ruling with in person reg. Ill bet they will do the same with scotus. Our new AG is prob already working on it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

groveler

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2022, 06:01:35 PM »
S&W 500 magnum  ;)
Have you ever held one of those?
I did at a gun shop in California.
I have no problems with a S&W 44
or a New Freedom Casull 454.
But that S&W 500 needs a shooting stick!
It is so out of balance it is useless.
I think it is also illegal in Hawaii these days.
Some stupid schiffs that rule over us think
50 cal is a crime problem in this state.
 :wtf:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2022, 06:32:40 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but when it says passport photos, it's in reference to the size and not an actual passport, right?

Yes.  As long as the photo meets the standard for a passport photo, it's good to go.

There are other standards for passport photos besides the size.  These can be found on many sites including the state department:
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/photos.html

State even has a tool to help you take and crop your photo:
https://tsg.phototool.state.gov/photo

If you take your own photo, be sure to print it on photo printer paper or have it done by a store.  Lots of places you can upload photos to and have professionally printed.

I used to get mine done at Costco, but they stopped in 2021:
Costco is closing all photo departments. Costco, or the Costco Wholesale Corporation, is the
largest chain of warehouse stores in the United States and one of the largest retailers in the world.

Costco has shut down their in-person photo printing services, but still continues to offer these
services online. Customers are still able to print photos at Costco, however four of its services
are no longer available. Services that transferred home videos from VHS tapes to DVD or USB
devices, ink refills, taking passport photos, and photo restoration have closed down.

These changes took effect on February 14th, 2021. All of the photo centers (roughly 800 stores)
are closed now.

For in-person photos, one option is that SOME Post Office locations can do it (5 that I found on the USPS site for Oahu).
https://tools.usps.com/rcas.htm

Also Walmart lets you upload your own photo and either pick it up at a store or have it delivered.
https://photos3.walmart.com/category/83-passport-photos?product=203-passport-photos&theme=fuji.themepack%3A51x51mm_x4_icao9303.passport&design_code=standard.fullphoto

I've read that UPS, FedEx, Walgreens and other places still do passport photos.  I think it all depends on whether you can take your own, and whether you want to pick them up somewhere or have them delivered to you.  In person places are becoming hard to find.
-- Melvin Udall

stangzilla

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2022, 08:09:07 PM »
Have you ever held one of those?

Yes, I've shot that a few times
It is a bit too much for me.
I am more than comfortable with a 44mag or a 454 Casull.
I also built a 450 Bushmaster AR rifle, which I dont shoot much. That's a bit much too
Wise man once said, "a man's gotta know his limitations." 🤙

stangzilla

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2022, 08:22:06 PM »
I have a Ruger Vaquero 44 magnum, 3.75 inch barrel and birdshead grip which is pretty hard to handle with full house magnum ammo since I am basically holding on with 2 fingers with that grip. Trail Boss handloads are much more manageable

changemyoil66

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2022, 09:41:03 PM »
I would have them done professionally (longs, etc...). I talled to a passport worker and said many people take the pics wrong themselves. Like not a white wall, but off white. Or infront a cinder block wall, so u see lines behind the person. Both are rejected photos for passports.

changemyoil66

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2022, 07:07:17 AM »
No ruling on Young vs. HI today. Next is wednesday.

stangzilla

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2022, 09:00:42 AM »
No ruling on Young vs. HI today. Next is wednesday.

let us know how that goes