First Aid course (Read 21261 times)

zippz

Re: First Aid course
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 11:12:02 AM »
Course is confirmed.  Space is limited, email todd@practicalmarksman.com with your name and phone number or signup on the meetup page at https://www.meetup.com/HawaiiGGG/events/246653869/ to reserve a seat.

This first aid course will teach basic human anatomy, bandages, tourniquets, quick clot bandages, how to build a kit, and other life saving techniques. Great class for firearms instructors, RSO's, and those interested in treating injuries on and off the range. Pizzas and drinks provided.

NO CERTIFICATION WILL BE GIVEN AND INSTRUCTORS ALONG WITH HAWAII GUYS AND GALS WITH GUNS ASSUME NO LIABILITY IF YOU USE THESE FIRST AID TECHNIQUES.

DATE/TIME: Saturday January 13, 5:15pm - 8:30pm
LOCATION: Paki Community Park, enter through Leahi Ave. We'll be in the classroom building.
ATTIRE: Dress comfortably
EQUIPMENT OPTIONAL: Bring your first aid kit to get it checked out. Pen and paper for notes.
FEES: $5 cash to cover pizza, drinks, and supplies.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:25:54 AM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 08:09:20 PM »
4 seats left for the class.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 09:07:58 AM »
Class is full.

London808

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 09:17:08 PM »
Great turnout and great teaching, Thanks Zippz
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

macsak

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 09:45:34 PM »
Great turnout and great teaching, Thanks Zippz

it was an awesome class!

mahalo to zippz and the instructors!
thanks also to London and mrs 808

matt0137

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 10:20:14 PM »
I'll echo what the others have said - excellent class! I learned a lot.

changemyoil66

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 10:40:15 PM »
Thankz zipps, i learned the following that youtube didnt teach me:

1) How to scan extrematies for blood (specificially the hand under ass. I would have started with hand in groin and missed the entire ass area)

2) How to treat a sucking chest (specifically not to forget about the exit wound side also). But i never will unless extreme emergency. Like EMS 8 hours away.

3) How much blood can you lose and still be "ok".

4) Why powder quick clot is not recomended compared to clot gauze. And how the powder can burn sweaty hands.

5) I didnt know they made quick clot packing gauze. I just got regular gauze.

6) Im not totally paranoid. Mrs change had to pee so i went with her and scanned the restroom b4 she went in (park bathroom at night). Then the 2nd time she had to go, bassmonkey was inside protecting his lady as she went.

7) My med kit has the right tools for my skill level/ pay grade. No needles and such because it is beyond my skill set and we are not in the bush, so help will be near enough.

Thanks again to zipps and all those who helped make this possible.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

zippz

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 12:25:47 AM »
Everything went well tonight and there was a good turnout.  I attended my last class about 9 years ago so this was a good refresher.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

6716J

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 07:59:56 AM »
Any plans on running another class in the near future?

I've been trying to find a WFA or WFR class here but they are so rare I either find out after the fact or my schedule hasn't allowed it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

drck1000

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 08:11:17 AM »
If any of you are looking for good online resources for supplies, the following are good:

Live Action Safety
Chinook Medical (little pricey on shipping tho, but easy to find stuff)
ShopMedVet (lots of stuff, but have to know what you’re looking for since organization not that great, or at least it wasn’t).

There are others, but those are the few that I remember off the top of my head.

I have a complete kit from Dark Angel. I’ve also looked into ITS as well and their kit seems pretty good as well. But I put together my own kits for range bag, work bag and car from supplies.

zippz

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 12:59:27 AM »
Any plans on running another class in the near future?

I've been trying to find a WFA or WFR class here but they are so rare I either find out after the fact or my schedule hasn't allowed it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not anytime soon, maybe summer.  It's difficult to find people to do classes like this because everyone is afraid of liability.

I'm going to talk to Kapiolani Community College to see if they can put a class together.  I dunno what the cost would be.

PalisadesKid

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 02:02:39 PM »
Class definitely helped.

Learned:

-CAT 2 Gen 7 TQs are definitely EASIER and FASTER to self apply than the SOF T tourniquets and unfortunately the R.A.T.S. Tourniquet MIGHT not be as effective on lower appendages as opposed to the CAT 2s or the SOF Ts.

-To invest in some Combat Gauze. Definitely pricey  as you can find them online anywhere from $40-$45 per package. Compressed gauze is better than nothing but if you can shell out some extra cash, Combat Gauze is an advantage.

-Definitely no need for us civilians to rush to get a 14 Gauge Chest Decompression needle. Having a few chest seals on hand or improvising one should do the trick until the real paramedics and trained personnel can get to the victim.

Personally I’ve been buying my supplies from www.medicalgearoutfitters.com aka "Skinny Medic" on YouTube. Free shipping with ALL orders.

zippz

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 02:26:55 PM »
Class definitely helped.

Learned:

-CAT 2 Gen 7 TQs are definitely EASIER and FASTER to self apply than the SOF T tourniquets and unfortunately the R.A.T.S. Tourniquet MIGHT not be as effective on lower appendages as opposed to the CAT 2s or the SOF Ts.

-To invest in some Combat Gauze. Definitely pricey  as you can find them online anywhere from $40-$45 per package. Compressed gauze is better than nothing but if you can shell out some extra cash, Combat Gauze is an advantage.

-Definitely no need for us civilians to rush to get a 14 Gauge Chest Decompression needle. Having a few chest seals on hand or improvising one should do the trick until the real paramedics and trained personnel can get to the victim.

Personally I’ve been buying my supplies from www.medicalgearoutfitters.com aka "Skinny Medic" on YouTube. Free shipping with ALL orders.

BTW someone told me that expired Combat Gauze may still be effective if it's stored properly and the vacuumed wrap is intact.  Those things are pricey.

I got a good refresher on the decompression needle too.  Learned how to use them about 8 years ago and thought I needed to get one, but was assured that they're not usually needed here.

London808

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2018, 09:34:08 PM »
Class definitely helped.

Learned:

Thought that was you but dissent want to say hi in case I was wrong lol.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

zippz

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 09:46:59 PM »
I didn't have time to get name tags.  I always forget those.

bass monkey

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 10:28:56 AM »
Thanks for the class zips
Wife enjoyed it just as much as I did.
This plus the missile scare really got her thinking
We'll be putting together a few more bags now for sure

changemyoil66

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 12:22:21 PM »
Class definitely helped.

Learned:

I also use skinny medic.  I called North American Rescue (makers of the TQ's)  and they are an official distributor of the CATs.  After buying the fake ones on Amazon, I had to be sure.

macsak

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 12:27:00 PM »
Class definitely helped.

Learned:

where were you sitting, PK?
i was on the side with the sliding door, sitting by bass monkey and changemyoil and london and just4kiks

changemyoil66

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 12:52:39 PM »
where were you sitting, PK?
i was on the side with the sliding door, sitting by bass monkey and changemyoil and london and just4kiks

From what he's describing, I think he was the guy in the table next to me, front right corner.  He had the med bag.  Only guy I saw with a RAT.

macsak

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 12:57:06 PM »
From what he's describing, I think he was the guy in the table next to me, front right corner.  He had the med bag.  Only guy I saw with a RAT.

ah, ok
had the biggest kit there
we couldn't really see the other tables, though