Joe Chacon/ABRA Mechanical Rear Rest (Read 5739 times)

esk808

Joe Chacon/ABRA Mechanical Rear Rest
« on: May 06, 2018, 02:16:21 PM »
Joe Chacon/ABRA mechanical rear rest tried for the first time yesterday at Kokohead.

It is amazingly stable and easy to consistently put the rifle back to battery.  The rear "dog bone" made of delrin plastic makes it stable
shot-to-shot.

Has elevation and windage adjustments, although once leveled with a bubble level and centered, I usually only move the adjustments on
the front rest.

It is 7" x 8" made of aluminum - a lot smaller and lighter than I thought, but very very stable.

The rest had surface imperfections - nicks, scratches, and rough machining marks.  I took the rest apart, and took #220 wet sandpaper to the whole thing,
and now it looks "okay".  I might go through graduations of wet sandpaper to get a nicer finish when I have time.

The elevation wheel was off-center and was lop-sided.  It moves in an elliptical motion instead of a round motion.  However, when using the rest, it doesn't affect
usage or performance.

Having used this, I think my new Edgewood rear bag will be staying home from now........... auwe !

**Over the span of 2 evenings, I used #220 wet sandpaper and Flitz paste to give it a going over to clean up some of the dings.  Came out okay....see pic on right

*** Doesn't work well with narrow "V" sporter butt stocks.  The delrin dogbone where the stock rests doesn't hold a narrow V stock.  It wobbles and cants to make this rest ineffective.
     Butt stock has to be medium/thick so that it touches the 2-sides of the V and sit well in the dogbone.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:10:38 PM by esk808 »

Heavies

Re: Joe Chacon/ABRA Mechanical Rear Rest
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 03:50:29 AM »
Very nice piece.  Do you shoot free recoil with that set up? 

esk808

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 11:55:41 AM »

No, Kokohead Range Keith was telling me to try free recoil, but it feels like I have no control of the gun.

Maybe I'm not doing it properly.......... you mean the thumb & index finger to pinch the trigger, don't you?

Heavies

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 02:50:38 PM »
No, Kokohead Range Keith was telling me to try free recoil, but it feels like I have no control of the gun.

Maybe I'm not doing it properly.......... you mean the thumb & index finger to pinch the trigger, don't you?
Usually guys run free recoil with oz. kind triggers.  The rifle "free recoils" maybe only a 1/2 to 1" something like that,  probably less than that....  Just enough to get the bullet out of the barrel.  only the tip of the finger on the trigger.  Need a real solid rifle rest setup to do it consistently and accurately.   Looks like your setup is one of those super solid type repeatable setups. 

esk808

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 03:57:01 PM »

Heavies,

I should read up on free-recoil trigger pulling.

Mine has a 2-stage (2oz/2oz) so real light trigger, so I'll listen to Kokohead range Keith............

Thanks for the advice.

Heavies

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 04:05:49 PM »
Heavies,

I should read up on free-recoil trigger pulling.

Mine has a 2-stage (2oz/2oz) so real light trigger, so I'll listen to Kokohead range Keith............

Thanks for the advice.
Oh yeah! Bench rest rig!  I know I seen you shooting before. Bug holes!  🤙👍🤙👍

What's the details on your rifle?  Looks sweet!

esk808

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 04:27:58 PM »

Heavies !

Come say hello next time    :D

rklapp

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 05:08:53 PM »
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

esk808

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 10:16:21 AM »
What's the details on your rifle?  Looks sweet!

Heavies,

I was just browsing through the Anschutz site where they sell their custom-worked rifles directly to the buyer (instead of telling you to see their retailers).
www.anschutznorthamerica.com  >>> Custom Shop >>> For Sale

The rifle is based on a discontinued 54 MSR action with a 5018 trigger in a BR50 stock  = 54.18 BR50 repeater.
24" stainless Lilja barrel
Custom worked by Anschutz Custom Shop
NF 15-55x scope in Kelbly rings

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 03:47:54 PM by esk808 »

esk808

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 04:34:09 PM »

Rest doesn't work with butt stocks with a narrow "V"..... it doesn't sit in the dog bone.