What do you guys think of fire pistons? (Read 4973 times)

Dregs

What do you guys think of fire pistons?
« on: April 18, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
While carrying or packing a lighter is always better than carrying two sticks to rub, having an alternative long-term, self-sustaining, or renewable, method is always great. Fire pistons work by pressure and all it needs is a good seal and it will heat whatever flammable object you put in it and create an ember.

Personally I think it's bad ass and haven't seen anything really negative about it. Have to google fire piston. Too much hassle to post videos while not at home  :rofl:

808shooter

Re: What do you guys think of fire pistons?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »
I think it's a cool concept for discussion, but like you said carrying a lighter is usually better and much more practical.  If you're thinking just toss it in the B.O.B. and forget it...  doesn't the thing need good O-ring seals to work effectively?  If I were stocking a survival kit, I would go with lighters, matches and some kind of flint firestarter.  Check this type of fire sticks in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cutlerylover?blend=1&ob=5#p/search/44/xwp6LN3wHOg

Dregs

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:26:21 PM »
Makes sense. Good point with the o-ring! I'll check out the video when I get home =Op

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:37:27 PM »

Wow, that is amazing. I have some generic fire steel I got off of Amazon. It doesn't hold a flame to the Misch Fire steel. Wow, they are pretty cheap too.
http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

vooduchikn

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 03:19:25 PM »
I know a guy that works for goinggear.com ...can get 10% discount on stuff if you want it..  O0

I have these http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP223-1.html

I was able to teach my 11 year old daughter how to start a fire with stuff we found on trail on the first try. She was able to pull a repeat later down the trail without any help from me at all.   There is a video on that site.

Its called a Blastmatch.

Cheap too.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:29:06 PM by vooduchikn »
Relax, I've banned myself..

Colt808

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:01:33 PM »
While carrying or packing a lighter is always better than carrying two sticks to rub, having an alternative long-term, self-sustaining, or renewable, method is always great. Fire pistons work by pressure and all it needs is a good seal and it will heat whatever flammable object you put in it and create an ember.

Personally I think it's bad ass and haven't seen anything really negative about it. Have to google fire piston. Too much hassle to post videos while not at home  :rofl:

Things with a "cool" factor tend to fail when you really need them. I'd keep it simple when it comes to the basics, fine steel wool, matches, firesteel and a classic Zippo. Why a Zippo over disposable? Simple...disposables don't store well, not very durable, and the butane will evaporate. A Zippo will run on any flammable liquid.

Wow, that is amazing. I have some generic fire steel I got off of Amazon. It doesn't hold a flame to the Misch Fire steel. Wow, they are pretty cheap too.

Misch rods are great and I can confirm work as shown in the video. Basically the same as the old magnesium firestarters, but there's the plus of being able to hand them to your kids on new years/4th of July since sparklers are illegal.  :D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:09:21 PM by Colt808 »
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. ~Thomas Paine

And I still see stupid people.

vooduchikn

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 09:51:53 PM »

Things with a "cool" factor tend to fail when you really need them. I'd keep it simple when it comes to the basics, fine steel wool, matches, firesteel and a classic Zippo. Why a Zippo over disposable? Simple...disposables don't store well, not very durable, and the butane will evaporate. A Zippo will run on any flammable liquid.

Misch rods are great and I can confirm work as shown in the video. Basically the same as the old magnesium firestarters, but there's the plus of being able to hand them to your kids on new years/4th of July since sparklers are illegal.  :D

I have both..just like the blastmatch because it has never failed us. Bust the plastic off and it is a Misch. The Benchmade makes the same result when striked on the blastmatch.
The only reason I back it is because I have used it. I have a Misch as well, but it doesn't work as well as the blastmatch.  My 11yr old couldn't get the Misch to concentrate the spark as well and get  a good result.  She had a higher confidence with the blastmatch.

Next is the bow and spindle..... :shaka:

Relax, I've banned myself..

Colt808

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 03:01:52 PM »

Next is the bow and spindle..... :shaka:

Now that's really old school. Hats off to you and your 11 y/o if she can get that down. It's something I tried teaching to my boys (11&14). After two hours, the whole thing started to feel like child abuse. It'll probably never be their first choice for firestarting, but I'm pretty sure they get the concept and could do it if necessary.
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. ~Thomas Paine

And I still see stupid people.