No one will be able to buy a taser anytime soon (Read 4486 times)

DocMercy

Re: No one will be able to buy a taser anytime soon
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2022, 11:07:53 AM »
The lithium battery problem has been with us for quite a few years. Camera hobbyists check in with Best Buy every week, to determine when batteries for Canon, Nikon, Sony or GoPro arrive. The mom and pop shops (Kaimuki and Aiea) can't swing large orders by container ships. They have to sell off-brand batteries at 50% of OEM capacities.

CR123a availability is hit or miss at the gun shops. Stay away from rechargeable CR123a batteries for under-the-barrel lights. The charge voltage is all over the map. I use Best Buy for standard lithium batteries, or look for them on Amazon through sellers who are unaware of USPS shipping regulations. The biggest camera online stores (B&H Photo Video) won't even ship a scope with a tiny lithium battery. Henry Posner's company must have been hit with a $10K fine at some point in time, and he's been super-cautious since.

changemyoil66

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2022, 11:32:37 AM »
https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/sites/phmsa.dot.gov/files/2021-09/Lithium-Battery-Guide.pdf

My Son-in-law just got a new laptop.  They have the HAZMAT labels on the outside of the box.  All the packaging, charge levels, etc have to comply with the rules in the link.  Current guidance as of Sept 2021.

Thanks for the link, but it just confused me more.

1) My cell phone has a lithium battery in it, as do most.  How is this OK to bring on a plane.  And would that mean 1 could buy a taser on the mainland and bring just the battery in their pocket or carry on?

2) What if I use a CR123 lithium in my WML and trasporting a firearm in my checked baggage on a plane. Or putting a laptop/cellphone in my checked baggage.

3) if shipping an item with a lithium batt in it, do you just slap the right sticker on it and g2g?  Or do you pay extra in some kind of hazmat fee

4) I went to the UPS site and you can select an option when shipping batteries. But a small box cost $75 to ship, IDK if this is due to the hazmat mentioned in #3.

5) Sounds like there is an issue with lithium batts, are any companies or tech starting to shy away and use something else?  Or invent something better that doesn't catch on fire as much?

Looks like a can of worms was opened with this sub topic. 

ren

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2022, 12:03:51 PM »
For the shipper, they just need to have the appropriate labeling and packaging. Bought many cells for my ebike online. FedEx was the carrier.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2022, 12:59:06 PM »
Thanks for the link, but it just confused me more.

1) My cell phone has a lithium battery in it, as do most.  How is this OK to bring on a plane.  And would that mean 1 could buy a taser on the mainland and bring just the battery in their pocket or carry on?

2) What if I use a CR123 lithium in my WML and trasporting a firearm in my checked baggage on a plane. Or putting a laptop/cellphone in my checked baggage.

3) if shipping an item with a lithium batt in it, do you just slap the right sticker on it and g2g?  Or do you pay extra in some kind of hazmat fee

4) I went to the UPS site and you can select an option when shipping batteries. But a small box cost $75 to ship, IDK if this is due to the hazmat mentioned in #3.

5) Sounds like there is an issue with lithium batts, are any companies or tech starting to shy away and use something else?  Or invent something better that doesn't catch on fire as much?

Looks like a can of worms was opened with this sub topic.
There are lithium batteries in phones, laptops, tablets, smart watches, headphones/earbuds, and any number of devices we travel with.  Those are not deemed as much of a fire risk as when they are shipped unaccompanied.

When TRANSPORTING a battery, you have direct contact with the battery or device containing it.  Not the same as shipping it inside a box located among a bunch of other boxes.  The rules are stricter for shipping vs. transporting.

There have been exceptions, like when some models of phones caused a slew of reports that they were overheating and catching fire.  Those models were banned from flights for a short time until more could be determined as to the cause.

If you read that PDF, the restrictions are based on a combination of factors: the type of lithium used, the size, the watt-hours it can hold, the degree/level of charge in the battery when shipped (30% or less is allowed for things like laptop batteries), whether it's installed in a device or packaged in a way that prevents its contacts from touching anything else, etc, etc.

The manufacturers usually comply with all these restrictions and hoops they need to jump through, so they can send you that phone or laptop through an air carrier.  Individuals and to some extent retailers, however, are not as trusted.  My daughter tried to ship a smart watch to the manufacturer for warranty replacement.  Even after following the list of steps to properly box it up and place the sticker they sent her on the outside announcing lithium battery inside, and calling UPS to pick it up while notifying them of the contents, the day after they picked it up it was returned because .... it contained a lithium battery!!

As you noticed, the rules are confusing, which means the shippers and collection points for the shippers are going to be hit or miss regarding what they will accept.  They either know the rules inside-out, or they go the easy route and reject most battery shipments.

I noticed Amazon is very inconsistent.  I've ordered blister packs of batteries there, but I have to try multiple listings before I get one that Amazon will ship to Hawaii.  I know I've also had at least 4 cell phones and 3 MacBook laptops mailed directly to my house.  I've also mailed a couple of cell phones for warranty replacement or upgrade trade-in credit, too. 

The fact that UPS returned a package they full well knew had a tiny battery tells you how messed up the rules -- or at least the understanding of the rules -- are.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2022, 01:13:25 PM »
There are lithium batteries in phones, laptops, tablets, smart watches, headphones/earbuds, and any number of devices we travel with.  Those are not deemed as much of a fire risk as when they are shipped unaccompanied.

When TRANSPORTING a battery, you have direct contact with the battery or device containing it.  Not the same as shipping it inside a box located among a bunch of other boxes.  The rules are stricter for shipping vs. transporting.

There have been exceptions, like when some models of phones caused a slew of reports that they were overheating and catching fire.  Those models were banned from flights for a short time until more could be determined as to the cause.

If you read that PDF, the restrictions are based on a combination of factors: the type of lithium used, the size, the watt-hours it can hold, the degree/level of charge in the battery when shipped (30% or less is allowed for things like laptop batteries), whether it's installed in a device or packaged in a way that prevents its contacts from touching anything else, etc, etc.

The manufacturers usually comply with all these restrictions and hoops they need to jump through, so they can send you that phone or laptop through an air carrier.  Individuals and to some extent retailers, however, are not as trusted.  My daughter tried to ship a smart watch to the manufacturer for warranty replacement.  Even after following the list of steps to properly box it up and place the sticker they sent her on the outside announcing lithium battery inside, and calling UPS to pick it up while notifying them of the contents, the day after they picked it up it was returned because .... it contained a lithium battery!!

As you noticed, the rules are confusing, which means the shippers and collection points for the shippers are going to be hit or miss regarding what they will accept.  They either know the rules inside-out, or they go the easy route and reject most battery shipments.

I noticed Amazon is very inconsistent.  I've ordered blister packs of batteries there, but I have to try multiple listings before I get one that Amazon will ship to Hawaii.  I know I've also had at least 4 cell phones and 3 MacBook laptops mailed directly to my house.  I've also mailed a couple of cell phones for warranty replacement or upgrade trade-in credit, too. 

The fact that UPS returned a package they full well knew had a tiny battery tells you how messed up the rules -- or at least the understanding of the rules -- are.

Thanks for the info. What it sounds like is that it depends on how well the inspection person wants to do their job.  Like when TSA took 1 HP round from my box of 50. Yes, 1 empty space was in the carton.  When I ordered my Surefire X300 for my future 1911, it came with 12 CR123 Surefire lithium batteries via Amazon. It came in a floppy package that had no additional stickers on them.

Knowing the hassle of lithium, my next trip to Vegas, I might just order 1 or 2 Taser pulse batteries and bring it back via carry on.

aaronc5362

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2022, 06:44:33 PM »
There are people who have them in Hawaii, acquired by mail order or bought on mainland and mailed here.  Cannot put Taser in suitcase as baggage because of the lithium battery.

If your able to remove the battery, then you may carry it on... The battery only I mean. Meanwhile the taser is in CHECKED in baggage.

aaronc5362

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2022, 06:48:30 PM »

Amazon will never ship lithium batteries if its shipped by them. You may be able to find a 3rd party seller who may ship it. EBay is my go to when it comes to shipping batteries lol. Ecop on eBay will ship tlr1s, bought a few jumper packs for cars from another seller and , Dyson vacuum from yet another seller etc. On eBay. Lol so if ypur on Amazon look for "ship by.. " and "sold by.." To possibly get arpund of Amazon's rules. They prob just doin it to save their own ass, which I cannot really argue with. It's their company.  :thumbsup:

Lithium ion isnt actually all that dangerous because its encased in a metal shell. Lipo is the dangerous one. Its a gel thats usually wrapped in a thick plastic and highly unstable compared to li-ion. But the pro side of Lipo is that you get more power out of it .. Size for size when compared to nimh and li-ion.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 06:55:06 PM by aaronc5362 »

DocMercy

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2022, 04:26:12 PM »

Firearms International is now allowing qualified purchasers to order a Taser Pulse Plus - UPC #796430390674. Sale price is $449.99. Loyal customers may be able to get a 5% discount with a coupon code. Please check other dealers for their offers and delivery dates. When I meet with Marko, I'll ask him about the double barrel model, which I assume are special-ordered.

hvybarrels

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2022, 05:12:02 PM »
The criminals only carry guns now because they know if they get caught Steve Alm will just let them out again.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

RSN172

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2022, 06:09:29 PM »
That is called job security for HPD + more funding.

DocMercy

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2022, 12:12:11 PM »

Good job, HPD.

IamBatman

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2022, 04:23:59 PM »
It's available at multiple shops now

changemyoil66

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2022, 04:50:20 PM »
It's available at multiple shops now
On oahu. Maui is being served.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

groveler

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2022, 01:48:04 PM »
This is why trying to go along to get along doesn't WORK!

http://www.hawaiifreepress.com/Articles-Main/ID/30332/Maui-Taser-Lawsuit-Filed

I will temper my words here.
 :shaka:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2022, 02:08:08 PM »
This is why trying to go along to get along doesn't WORK!

http://www.hawaiifreepress.com/Articles-Main/ID/30332/Maui-Taser-Lawsuit-Filed

I will temper my words here.

What pisses me off to no end is how these government overlords can thumb their noses at the Constitution, the Supreme Court, and the citizens within their jurisdiction, daring anyone to hold their feet to the fire to make them follow the law.

Then, they get all indignant and angry as iff they're the victim, because someone dared to file a lawsuit to make them follow the law!

Mind-boggling!   :crazy:

This has become the norm in most Democrat-run cities, states, and the Federal gov't.  They don't care if the laws they pass are unconstitutional.  They know it takes time, money, and standing to bring a lawsuit.  Most people can't afford it.  So, it takes groups of people with the same goals to come together and sue these tyrants and force them to follow the rules in place for over 200 years.  This is exactly what happened with the ACA.  Unconstitutional on its face when passed.  Had to sue to get rid of some of the provisions, like the mandatory fines which magically transformed into a tax.

They get away with creating way more illegitimate laws than they have to retract or change because of lawsuits.  Plus, the legal expenses to fight lawsuits are born by the very taxpayers who oppose the laws!  What a totally screwed up system!  And the people who violated their oaths of office are immune from civil or legal consequences.

Yeah -- pisses me off.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2022, 03:56:33 PM »
Whats worst is their legal counsel who was present on the zoom, didnt to even seem to read the lawsuit. Hificos atty contacted him the day before the meeting.

So either their legal counsel is incompatent or has an agenda. Im leaning toward the latter due to his statements made.

changemyoil66

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2022, 03:57:52 PM »
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2F2ahawaii%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D44960%2Emsg418749%2Emsg%23418749&share_tid=44960&share_pid=418749&share_fid=30901&share_type=t&link_source=app

Maui County Counsel passes ordinance to sell tasers. Not like state law did this previously.  New ETA on when Maui will be able to sell?  Unknown.  <br /><br />Maui County wanted to also do a national background check and require the sellers to have $3,000,000 in insurance,  which was voted in support 5-0. Legal counsel for Maui stated:  "Frivolous lawsuit because you can own them now, it's sad a pro gun group wants to cost the county of Maui money, when they cannot wait a few weeks.. Don't feel forced to pass due to gun advocates. The gun advocates want to take credit for something you are going to pass anyways, but don't feel forced to pass this".<br /><br />Another counsel member "shame on HIFICO, MAGS (Maui Ammo and Gun Supply), Christy for wasting tax $"<br /><br />They also asked if a police officers son was involved with the lawsuit, why does it matter?<br /><br />I thought Oahu was bad, Maui is WAY worst.  The plaintiffs also expect some kind of retaliation from the county.  This was expected.

flaboy808

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2022, 10:33:42 AM »
The criminals only carry guns now because they know if they get caught Steve Alm will just let them out again.

i don’t know if that’s worse or knowing HPD family members can walk away from 18 citations.  If that’s the case, what else are they getting away with?  So much for transparency.
The Supreme Court has ruled that you, as an individual, have no right to protection by the police. Their only obligation is to protect "society".

groveler

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2022, 11:52:18 AM »
What pisses me off to no end is how these government overlords can thumb their noses at the Constitution, the Supreme Court, and the citizens within their jurisdiction, daring anyone to hold their feet to the fire to make them follow the law.

Then, they get all indignant and angry as iff they're the victim, because someone dared to file a lawsuit to make them follow the law!

Mind-boggling!   :crazy:

This has become the norm in most Democrat-run cities, states, and the Federal gov't.  They don't care if the laws they pass are unconstitutional.  They know it takes time, money, and standing to bring a lawsuit.  Most people can't afford it.  So, it takes groups of people with the same goals to come together and sue these tyrants and force them to follow the rules in place for over 200 years.  This is exactly what happened with the ACA.  Unconstitutional on its face when passed.  Had to sue to get rid of some of the provisions, like the mandatory fines which magically transformed into a tax.

They get away with creating way more illegitimate laws than they have to retract or change because of lawsuits.  Plus, the legal expenses to fight lawsuits are born by the very taxpayers who oppose the laws!  What a totally screwed up system!  And the people who violated their oaths of office are immune from civil or legal consequences.

Yeah -- pisses me off.
"They know it takes time, money, and standing to bring a lawsuit."

You pretty much nailed it.  This is why Hawaii citizens basically have no Constitutional rights.
We only have rights the Democrat Party grants us.  Monarchy would not be much better.
Best we can do is have "friends in low places".
Plus a lawyer on speed dial.

RSN172

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2022, 07:31:00 PM »
I know by now, some of you have Tasers in your possession. What do you plan to do if you have to shoot someone with it?  Axon recommends leaving the Pulse while it incapacitates the perp for 30 seconds and get away. They will replace it free with a police report. If you don't want to leave it and cut the power to unload the cartridge the perp may recover and do you harm. If you are going to carry it, you should already know what you are going to do.  I know what I would like to do is kick the perp in the face has hard as I can while he is incapacitated.   But then, I would probably get charged with assault if I did that.