Department of Justice sides with plaintiffs fighting Ige’s 14-day travel quar. (Read 4966 times)

drck1000

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/06/23/breaking-news/department-of-justice-sides-with-plaintiffs-fighting-iges-14-day-travel-quarantine/

https://www.justice.gov/usao-hi/pr/department-justice-files-statement-interest-challenging-constitutionality-hawaii-governor

FIge. . .

Personally, I was fine with the 14-day quarantine.  That said, good to see him under the microscope for stuff like this.  One can wish it would extend to 2a, but not holding my breath. . .

changemyoil66

What does this also say about our AG?  She said that the 14 day is fine.  So either bother her and Ige are incompetent or knowingly violating rights.

ren

Some would argue that Hawaii is not part of the US and not subject to DoJ...
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

The sad fact is that covid is the "Kobayashi Maru" in real life.
Ie. There is no winner.
Only participation trophies.
What, Me Worry?

groveler

I think all this quarantine stuff is BS.
My dad was a Microbiologist, I helped
him with his senior year lab projects.
I grew enough Typhus to kill most all
the population of Long Beach CA.
I was 9 years old.
I have a bit of an understanding of diseases.

You quarantine sick people, not healthy ones.

For example you can have Tuberculous
and have no symptoms.  That is why all
people involved with food preparation
are tested for TB and you get a cute little
card in order to work in the food industry.
Do we quarantine the entire country until
they are TB tested? No.
TB is far worse than this stupid flu and it is
just about as contagious.

If Democrats want to destroy the Tourist
economy in Hawaii so be it.  In my county,  they
think can keep the same government size on just
property taxes, so they don't need tourism.
Presently Government is now the largest employer
in my county.
Loss of jobs just means more Democrats will leave
my island, which is fine with me.

The main point is the loss of rights,
Hawaiian Democrat Party memebers would not know personal
freedoms if it jumped up and bit them in the behind.
However if personal rights meant anything to Hawaiian
citizens, they wouldn't continue to elect Democrats.

groveler

The sad fact is that covid is the "Kobayashi Maru" in real life.
Ie. There is no winner.
Only participation trophies.
IICR Kirk won a
"Kobayashi Maru" test.
I own all the real star treks
TV, NG, and movies.
Best TV, "Tholian web".
Best NG "Reunion".
Best movie "Wrath of Khan",
Wrath only wins because of the
Melville quotes.

drck1000

IICR Kirk won a
"Kobayashi Maru" test.

SNIP
Didn't he cheat?  But maybe just shows how much he was trying. . .  ;D

Rocky

Didn't he cheat?  But maybe just shows how much he was trying. . .  ;D
The "Kobayashi Maru" test was technically un-winnable and was meant to see what the test takers solution having the least amount of devastation would be.
That was the point of the test.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Flapp_Jackson

The "Kobayashi Maru" test was technically un-winnable and was meant to see what the test takers solution having the least amount of devastation would be.

Actually, the point of the test was to see how the student reacted to stress when faced with a futile situation.  Do they freeze?  Do they follow the right protocols?  Do they panic? 

They all die in the scenario, but Star Fleet wanted them to die correctly.   :thumbsup: :geekdanc:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

Uh, yeah, I know. But in the 2009 Star Trek, Kirk beat the test, by cheating. Keep up old one 😝

Flapp_Jackson

Uh, yeah, I know. But in the 2009 Star Trek, Kirk beat the test, by cheating. Keep up old one 😝

Both "versions" of Kirk cheated.

In the Wrath of Khan, he admitted cheating when they were in the Genesis cave while waiting for Spock to pick them up.

That's the episode that started with Kirstie Alley as Lt Saavik taking the KM test.  She later asked Kirk how he became the only cadet to beat the test.

It's also the movie where Spock dies at the end.  He asks Kirk, "I never took the Kobayashi Maru.  What do you think of my solution?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

In the Wrath of Khan, he admitted cheating when they were in the Genesis cave while waiting for Spock to pick them up.

That's the episode that started with Kirstie Alley as Lt Saavik taking the KM test.  She later asked Kirk how he became the only cadet to beat the test.

It's also the movie where Spock dies at the end.  He asks Kirk, "I never took the Kobayashi Maru.  What do you think of my solution?"
I don’t really recall that one. Might have been before I was born. Haha. Was just giving the old guy a glimmer of hope to doubt his senility 😝

Rocky

Have not seen  2009 version but I'm pretty sure KM was mentioned way before WoK and Genesis episode.
Groveler has all the scenes.  :D
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Flapp_Jackson

I don’t really recall that one. Might have been before I was born. Haha. Was just giving the old guy a glimmer of hope to doubt his senility 😝

You don't remember a young Kirstie Alley as a Vulcan?  Man, you must have not been born yet!   :rofl:

-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

Have not seen  2009 version but I'm pretty sure KM was mentioned way before WoK and Genesis episode.
Groveler has all the scenes.  :D

Memory tells me Wikipedia is correct.

The Kobayashi Maru test was first depicted in the opening scene of the film Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
and also appears in the 2009 film Star Trek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobayashi_Maru
-- Melvin Udall

ren

You don't remember a young Kirstie Alley as a Vulcan?  Man, you must have not been born yet!   :rofl:

I would...even Post Vulcan.  :thumbsup:
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

SNIP
I don't remember her as a Vulcan.  Not Vulcan, but I thought Deanna Troi was a hottie.

I would...even Post Vulcan.  :thumbsup:
She blew up and didn't age well. . .

hvybarrels

I don't remember her as a Vulcan.  Not Vulcan, but I thought Deanna Troi was a hottie.
She blew up and didn't age well. . .

There was a window where she was an 8.5 BBW before the plastic surgery fell apart and she really let herself go.

So can my friend who is stuck in quarantine paddle out now?
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Rocky

Memory tells me Wikipedia is correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobayashi_Maru
    As much as I like wikipedia, it is user based so garbage in, garbage out so to speak.

I can recall the episode but am unable to find it and am tempted at (my own peril of persecution) to contact Trekkies.

I have found several references to the episode/scene I recall so vividly in written form.

I  started watching ST in B &W back in the day and even in old age, long term memory is better than short term.
Kirk, McCoy, Scotty, Sulu, and Chekov are  in a busted landing craft with no means of repair  so all of the command officers tell McCoy about their experiences with the test while awaiting certain death.
Chekov ejects everybody and blows up his starship destroying the klingon enemy's. All those he sent off in escape pods also died from the nuclear explosion of all the ships,
Sulu chickened out and did not enter the zone to rescue and I forgot what Scotty did.
In the end, Spock rescued them all fror burning up in re-ntry to some planet by beaming them aboard.

I had to have seen it as I highly doubt I would have read a written version at 8-10 yrs old :wacko:

Franklin D. Roosevelt