anyone own the ruger precision rifle? (Read 2986 times)

T4R-noob

anyone own the ruger precision rifle?
« on: February 25, 2016, 06:24:50 AM »
care to share personal reviews on the rifle, Im looking to buy ruger #18001

Heavies

Re: anyone own the ruger precision rifle?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 12:09:36 PM »
Tag.  Interested as well

Pit808

Re: anyone own the ruger precision rifle?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 04:44:41 PM »
I have the 308.  Only shot it once to sight it in at koko head and it was shooting tighter groups that day than my Howa 1500 setup (sub moa when I do my part) with my 168gr GMM clone reloads.
Overall I like it and I think Ruger did a good job at the price it is sold for.
You may see many posts of how folks have had off center handguards, but mine were straight.
The stock safety selector is a loose, rattling, POS.  It's bad enough that I was like "WTF Ruger!"  I switched it out with a regular AR selector I had laying around and it fit better.  If you do swap out the selector, make sure you use one with the round barrel type profile like the kind in a standard mil-spec kit.  The seekins triangle shape wont work well.  It still has some play but not as bad as the stock one.  There is no detent holding pressure on it like an AR so it is what it is.
Magpul AR10 mags fit fine and are the only ones I've tried. 
The action works smoothly. No complaints
I can't exactly remember details on the trigger.  I want to say it wasn't as clean out of the box as the Timney in the 1500, but I know it wasn't terrible and will smooth out with more pulls. 
Flipping the cheek rest around gave the most comfortable fit for me. 
The folding stock locks up tight and the stock adjustments lock down with no wiggle.  I may or may not change the stock out down the road.  If I do, it will be for looks, as the original works as it should. 
Other mods are a magpul grip, accu shot monopod, harris bipod, MI 3 chamber muzzle brake.
Future plans are to put better glass on it (currently has a Falcon Menace 4-14 FFP that is so-so) and upgrade the plastic bolt shroud.
Wish I had more trigger time behind it to give you guys more.  :shaka:
chitty chitty bang bang.......