Fake Tournaquettes (Read 20715 times)

changemyoil66

Fake Tournaquettes
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »
Just found out the CAT tournies I ordered from Amazon are fake.  So ordered more from Medical Gear Outfitters an authorized North American Rescue distributor.

So buyers beware!

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Fake Tournaquettes
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 09:36:38 AM »
Just found out the CAT tournies I ordered from Amazon are fake.  So ordered more from Medical Gear Outfitters an authorized North American Rescue distributor.

So buyers beware!

Do you have the link on Amazon, or the make and item numbers?  Would be helpful to check against what we might have.

thanks.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:49:02 AM »
I heard about those a while ago.  Surprised that an authorized distributor sold you those.  Did you contact them for refund?

I saw a website that compared the real deals to the fakes.  I bought a couple from Amazon and mine checked out.  I bought mine from Grunt Gear, but that was a while ago.  I also bought from other vendors direct. 

Sad that it as come to stuff like that. I've been growing increasingly wary of some of the stuff sold on Amazon in the past 6 months or so.  Have bought some real lemons. 

macsak

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 09:53:08 AM »
I heard about those a while ago.  Surprised that an authorized distributor sold you those.  Did you contact them for refund?

I saw a website that compared the real deals to the fakes.  I bought a couple from Amazon and mine checked out.  I bought mine from Grunt Gear, but that was a while ago.  I also bought from other vendors direct. 

Sad that it as come to stuff like that. I've been growing increasingly wary of some of the stuff sold on Amazon in the past 6 months or so.  Have bought some real lemons.

you have a link to that comparison site?

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »
Recently, I've bought from:

Dark Angel Medical (one with a med kit as well as extra)
North American Rescue

Also another that was a while ago. I'd have to go home and see if I still have the receipt from the order. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 10:08:22 AM »
Do you have the link on Amazon, or the make and item numbers?  Would be helpful to check against what we might have.

thanks.

It's weird that it's not showing up in my order history anymore.  But basically on the back plastic plate, there is no CAT wording or anything.  It's blank.  Where as NAR ones have wording.

Also on the twisting stick, there is no CAT wording either.

And the red pull tab is stippled in.

Other than those 3, it looks legit.  Even has manufacturing date of Oct-2016 when I bought it in September when I became a gun owner.

I called NAR and they confirmed it is a fake.  Check out Youtube vids of Skinny Medic, he has vids about fake ones.  And NAR confirmed that Medical Outfitters is an authorized CAT dealer.

I tested it and it does compress, but when my life is on the line, I don't want to take chances.  But it is better than nothing I guess or a belt.  I just ordered more.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:14:20 AM by changemyoil66 »

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 10:09:17 AM »

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 10:11:16 AM »

Well it's on Amazon and i'm pretty sure the company isn't an authorized dealer. But the T was $14 each.

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »

A vid from NAR

macsak

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 10:19:05 AM »
Recently, I've bought from:

Dark Angel Medical (one with a med kit as well as extra)
North American Rescue

Also another that was a while ago. I'd have to go home and see if I still have the receipt from the order.

the site that compares the real to the fakes?

jaynick

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 10:31:21 AM »
Well it's on Amazon and i'm pretty sure the company isn't an authorized dealer. But the T was $14 each.
well thats your answer. quality things that dominate the market category they are in dont sell for less than half of the original price.

ive bought from NAR and also bought a fake to practice with, knowing it was fake. as you said they are pretty well built and hard to distinguish from authentic.

i also bought a RAT tourniquet and i feel that the fake CAT tourniquet would be the one id grab if i had to choose between the two. needs a ton of practice to quickly set it on yourself. add stress and sweat and i dont see many people using it on themselves properly. works ok if applying to another individual. cat is still better.

gonna try the sof one next to compare

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 10:35:07 AM »
Im new to the culture and didnt even realize fake ones were made until i came across skinny medics IG last week.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 10:35:20 AM »
the site that compares the real to the fakes?
Oh that. . .

Can't find the original, but here is one that I found with the same information that I recall.

The link is a download to a PDF.

www.nysvara.org/news/2013/july/130717.pdf

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 10:36:35 AM »
Ahh.  I see.  I misread your OP.  You placed a follow-up order with a NAR authorized dealer.  Got it. 

Any attempt at claim with the vendor of the fakes? 

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 10:37:11 AM »
Im new to the culture and didnt even realize fake ones were made until i came across skinny medics IG last week.

There are fakes for EVERYTHING! 

zippz

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 10:37:14 AM »
There's more fakes out there than legit ones being sold on Amazon and Ebay.. You can't go by price on these things, you have to go with a trusted store.  I bought a couple from ebay a couple years ago before I knew there were counterfeights.  I'm not sure if they're the real things or not.

One good source of legit CAT's are from military service members.  Just don't ask how they got them.   :D
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »
There's more fakes out there than legit ones being sold on Amazon and Ebay.. You can't go by price on these things, you have to go with a trusted store.  I bought a couple from ebay a couple years ago before I knew there were counterfeights.  I'm not sure if they're the real things or not.

One good source of legit CAT's are from military service members.  Just don't ask how they got them.   :D
I know a few Army medics and C&C Honolulu EMT/Paramedics. . .

They offered to train us (other friends) on things in med kits.  Even offered to "show" me the nasal tube thing on me.  Ahh, I learn better if I can try on another person.   ;D

macsak

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 10:54:34 AM »
Oh that. . .

Can't find the original, but here is one that I found with the same information that I recall.

The link is a download to a PDF.

www.nysvara.org/news/2013/july/130717.pdf

mahalo

changemyoil66

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 11:02:28 AM »
Ill use the fakes for training.  I was gonna contact amazon, but cant find the order  in my history.

zippz

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »
Ill use the fakes for training.  I was gonna contact amazon, but cant find the order  in my history.

Clearly mark them so they don't get mixed up with real ones.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu