What Really Happens When You Get Shot (Read 3613 times)

Flapp_Jackson

What Really Happens When You Get Shot
« on: October 09, 2017, 02:02:25 AM »
What Really Happens When You Get Shot

As a combat medic in Afghanistan, I treated a variety of gunshot wounds. And as the husband of an
emergency room provider at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, gun violence has remained—at
least peripherally—a significant part of my life. This year, murder rates in Baltimore are on track to
surpass death tolls generated by the crack epidemic. Through conversations I’ve had with ER doctors
at Johns Hopkins, in addition to my own combat experience, I can offer a few tips you won’t learn at
the movie theater. This isn’t just about exposing Hollywood sophistry: It’s about knowing what to do
if you ever find yourself near or among the 297 or so people in America who are shot each day in
homicides, assaults, suicides, suicide attempts, accidental shootings, and police interventions.

https://www.wired.com/2015/12/what-really-happens-when-you-get-shot/
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

Re: What Really Happens When You Get Shot
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 08:53:41 AM »
A lot of people think getting shot/stabbed is like Hollywood, 1 shot/stab and the person goes down.  They don't understand the "science/biology" of trauma.

dirtylickins

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • I carry a gun... Cause carrying a cop is too heavy
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 09:46:10 AM »
Fact is most don't actually die instantly from a gunshot unless hit in a vital spot ie. Brain or heart. Death occurs mostly from bleeding out or internally even edema. But in this article the illustration used I think it's broken... it shot out the entire cartridge case and all. Lol

rklapp

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 10:35:32 AM »
Many people ask why the police don't shoot the leg of a perp charging a cop. In a hostile environment, the best method for stopping the attacker is to aim center mass. Even the double tap and one to the head requires lots of practice. Most cops go their entire career with firing their weapon. Some say that war veterans make better cops because they know better for when to draw their pistol and when to deescalate the situation.

Also, I remember our Drill Instructor in 86 telling us the 5.56 bullet will tumble once it hits flesh and causes a massive wound channel. Now I understand it to be a Vietnam myth.

This is FJs post so forgive me if I'm off topic.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 10:49:44 AM »
Good article and discussion for awareness.  Yes, TV and movies is the source of much misconceptions.  Like shooting someone with a shotgun and they go flying in the air about 3 feet backwards. 

The knowledge of key vulnerable spots on the human body is also great information.  That and highlights importance of having a TQ handy or means to fashion one.  Didn't know that part about the delayed response of an amputated limb (and I hope to NEVER come across that). 

Fact is most don't actually die instantly from a gunshot unless hit in a vital spot ie. Brain or heart. Death occurs mostly from bleeding out or internally even edema. But in this article the illustration used I think it's broken... it shot out the entire cartridge case and all. Lol
Yup.  Timers and switches. 

shdws

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 11:13:23 AM »
But in this article the illustration used I think it's broken... it shot out the entire cartridge case and all. Lol

Hah I noticed that one too.