George Floyd - black man dies under custody of Minneapolis police (Read 11600 times)

Kuleana

Re: George Floyd - black man dies under custody of Minneapolis police
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 11:59:10 AM »
Facts don't care about your feelings.
Of course we don't condone this act. Those officers were justifiably fired and there is a Federal investigation into that event. Like the MSM media you are trying to emotionally appeal for the sake of sewing discord. We don't need that kind of destructive sensationalism. Look at what these foolish rioters are doing to THEIR OWN neighborhood. If you owned any of those businesses would you rebuild? Nope. Then what happens to the community without investments?

Who are you to accuse me of fermenting discord?    How do you know what are my intentions?

Sensationalism?  Sorry, police brutality has been going on for years and nothing has been slowing it down.  Are you another blind supporter of police, who knows police brutality exists, but opposes people who try to stop it?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 12:01:48 PM »
Facts don't care about your feelings.
Of course we don't condone this act. Those officers were justifiably fired and there is a Federal investigation into that event. Like the MSM media you are trying to emotionally appeal for the sake of sewing discord. We don't need that kind of destructive sensationalism. Look at what these foolish rioters are doing to THEIR OWN neighborhood. If you owned any of those businesses would you rebuild? Nope. Then what happens to the community without investments?

Saw a TimCast story that many in the community are saying lots, if not most, of the rioters are coming from elsewhere -- opportunists who just want to loot.

Could be fake news, but it makes sense.  Many Left-wing protests have been outed as being organized and attended by outsiders, many of them often paid to attend.
Surely Not Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting.

ren

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 12:05:49 PM »
Who are you to accuse me of fermenting discord?    How do you know what are my intentions?

Sensationalism?  Sorry, police brutality has been going on for years and nothing has been slowing it down.  Are you another blind supporter of police, who knows police brutality exists, but opposes people who try to stop it?

I'm not a blind supporter of police. As I mentioned, those officers were justifiably terminated. What is your metric of police brutality? Harsh words? What? Those people burning down stores and looting them are not trying to stop police brutality. If so, what does looting a Target and burning an auto parts store have anything to do with police brutality?

ren

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 12:14:11 PM »
The rising "awareness" is the result of the media grasp at the race of a suspect killed in the custody of a police officer.
Do we ever see publicity of a white suspect killing a black officer?
We ignore the latter because it doesn't drive the victimhood and racial tensions that media outlets sensationalize.

groveler

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2020, 12:24:51 PM »
I'm not a blind supporter of police. As I mentioned, those officers were justifiably terminated. What is your metric of police brutality? Harsh words? What? Those people burning down stores and looting them are not trying to stop police brutality. If so, what does looting a Target and burning an auto parts store have anything to do with police brutality?
I remember Watts riots,
We all sheltered at Grandpa's
house with rifles and shotguns at EVERY
window.
We were more afraid of the cops than
the stupid bastards burning down
their neighborhood.
BTW,
We were better armed than the cops.

Kuleana

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2020, 12:45:31 PM »
The rising "awareness" is the result of the media grasp at the race of a suspect killed in the custody of a police officer.
Do we ever see publicity of a white suspect killing a black officer?
We ignore the latter because it doesn't drive the victimhood and racial tensions that media outlets sensationalize.

First of all, are you saying then, that there is no such thing as racism against minorities and that all people's perceptions of racism is only what is sensationalized by the corporate media?

Second, what does your argument have anything to do with the literal public execution of George Floyd by fascist goons.  A heinous murder has been committed and you are trying to make this a race vs race discussion, rather than dealing with the main issue at hand, which is police brutality.

Kuleana

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2020, 12:51:49 PM »
What is your metric of police brutality? Harsh words? What?

It is a telling sign of someone who blindly follows police, when they need to ask someone else what is the definition of police brutality, especially after a heinous event of police brutality has taken place.

Those people burning down stores and looting them are not trying to stop police brutality. If so, what does looting a Target and burning an auto parts store have anything to do with police brutality?

Does someone really need to explain to you that those looting are self-serving individuals who are taking advantage of the execution of Floyd by sick fascist goons.

macsak

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2020, 12:55:49 PM »
I don't need to defend my views to you or anyone.

What it appears to me is that your trivial questioning of the criteria I use to determine "norm" is a feeble attempt to soften and deflect the police brutality / sadistic murder that has taken place on an unarmed and subdued individual, which has led to protests and riots.

By the way, you did not answer my question in my last post to you of whether you condone occasional acts of police brutality?

No need to answer; I kind of know what your response will be.

you know what my answer will be?
really?

i do not condone police brutality...

macsak

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2020, 12:57:38 PM »

What it appears to me is that your trivial questioning of the criteria I use to determine "norm" is a feeble attempt to soften and deflect the police brutality / sadistic murder that has taken place on an unarmed and subdued individual, which has led to protests and riots.

By the way, you did not answer my question in my last post to you of whether you condone occasional acts of police brutality?

you don't have to defend your views?
yet you question ours?
right...

macsak

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 01:01:58 PM »

my questioning to you is not trivial
as a "practicing economist" you must have an extensive knowledge of statistics
i am asking you how you determined that police brutality is the norm
as i understand it,"norm" is pretty strictly defined
i am wondering how often the "frequency" (also a strictly defined term) of these events are that you consider them to be"the norm"

macsak

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2020, 01:04:46 PM »

"feeble attempt"?
once again with the name calling and belittling
not really traits you find in someone with as much knowledge and worldly experience that you claim to have...

aieahound

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2020, 01:08:56 PM »
Be thankful.
Cops in Hawaii, Honolulu at least, are generally pretty cool.
Give respect, get respect.
Rookies and those in Waikiki are the most sketchy.
(And maybe EEF.  :rofl:  Sorry EEF. Couldn’t resist.  )
Other than that, how many times given a warning or chased out of a park after hours after baseball games by a light on drive by.

I stand by my statement.
If you don’t have any cop friends or friends of friends, or both, your social circle is small.
This is Hawaii.
The country’s biggest small town.

On the other side, this incident was Fawked.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:17:59 PM by aieahound »
“ I’ve had enough of someone else’s propaganda… I’m for truth, no matter who tells it. I’m for justice, no matter who it is for or against.”

Kuleana

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2020, 01:11:01 PM »
i am wondering how often the "frequency" (also a strictly defined term) of these events are that you consider them to be"the norm"

Norm is relative and defined by those who use that term.

When dealing with frequency, any recurring event of police brutality is unacceptable, as with any crimes.  With police brutality, however, it is extra evil, since those guilty are the ones who are given public trust, unlike the common criminal, who has none.

Kuleana

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2020, 01:12:42 PM »
you don't have to defend your views?
yet you question ours?
right...

Don't make it sound like I was throwing personal attacks at everyone.  People throw attacks and questions to me and I respond, accordingly.

Kuleana

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2020, 01:13:43 PM »
"feeble attempt"?
once again with the name calling and belittling
not really traits you find in someone with as much knowledge and worldly experience that you claim to have...

Don't play the victim here.  You tried to start something with me, first.

changemyoil66

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2020, 01:31:30 PM »

Name 1 white guy who suffered a similar fate by the police...The media only cares about white cop and black suspect.  Black cop and black suspect gets no media attention.  Even though the stats show that cops kill white people more than black or any other race.  On a side note, people are more likely to be killed by a cop than an active shooter.

Kuleana

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2020, 01:37:01 PM »
On a side note, people are more likely to be killed by a cop than an active shooter.

That's the only point I am trying to argue; police brutality or in the case of Floyd, murder by fascist goons.

However, it seems there are those who posted on this thread that wish to switch the topic to issues regarding race.

:stopjack:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2020, 01:42:25 PM »
New Study Says White Police Officers
Are Not More Likely To Shoot Minority Suspects
July 26, 2019  5:21 PM ET

A new peer-reviewed study of fatal police shootings says that white officers are not more likely to
shoot and kill minority suspects. Critics contend it doesn't address racial disparities by police.

The race of a police officer did not predict the race of the citizen shot. In other words, black officers
were just as likely to shoot black citizens as white officers were.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/26/745731839/new-study-says-white-police-officers-are-not-more-likely-to-shoot-minority-suspe

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2020, 01:44:37 PM »
That's the only point I am trying to argue; police brutality or in the case of Floyd, murder by fascist goons.

However, it seems there are those who posted on this thread that wish to switch the topic to issues regarding race.

Both the TOPIC TITLE and the media coverage include the race of the victim.

Why disparage forum members for discussing the content of the media coverage?

Lame.

changemyoil66

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2020, 01:48:01 PM »

People are calling the cop racist.  How do we know that?  Did he ever make a racist comment or does he wear a white robe on the weekends?  To me, the cops is a prick who knew what he was doing.  But he didn't plan on Floyd dying.  So fascist would be more accurate than racist.