Glock 19 is obsolete (Read 7543 times)

stangzilla

Glock 19 is obsolete
« on: March 03, 2021, 09:21:32 AM »
wow. I just got mine and now its obsolete   :wtf:
despite me saying the 1911 is better than Glock on the other thread, a Glock has its place.  its great for carry, lots of upgrades available, lots of holster options, light options, red dot options, sights options, etc. if i were to CC, Glock 19 would be in my rotation.  i got the G19 to be a bugout sidearm. its light, 9mm ammo would be lighter to carry and take with me, its a common caliber.  i think it would make a better bugout gun than my 1911's, or revolvers.
since we don't have CCW in Hawaii (if you are not LE or armed security), having a sub compact isn't one of my priorities.  so i dont think it is obsolete to me.  i considered a 48 or 43x, but went with the 19 bc its more common and more accessories options for the 19 right now, although in time the aftermarket for the 48 and 43 will catch up.

your thoughts?   :shaka:

ren

Re: Glock 19 is obsolete
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 09:58:24 AM »
If you can stop a threat with a G19 it is not obsolete.
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 12:22:57 PM »
more like ALL Glocks are obsolete. HK's are g2g

But on a serious note, when you're only allowed 10rds and not a guns standard capacity, this makes many guns trash.

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 12:53:17 PM »
Still a very capable handgun with a reliable design with low number of parts and strong aftermarket support vs something like the 1911 with tried/true design but many parts to go wrong.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 01:12:03 PM »
I was in the market for a G19 to compliment my G17.  I was interested in it for CCW when I travel.

Then I bought the Sig P320 Nitron Full-Size as soon as it was available at my LGS.  It's my favorite pistol now.

What I don't see in many comparisons with the P320 is how versitile it is.  You can pick a variety of calibers and sizes, and all with the one trigger module.  I bought the Sig X-Change kit that transforms my Full-Size into a Compact.

The Full-Size has a standard 17rd capacity.  Same as a G17.

The Compact has a standard 15rd capacity.  Same as the G19.

So, when looking at G19 alternatives, it's important to match up all the specs before delving into those that require compromises.  Capacity, dimensions, weight, striker vs. hammer, polymer vs. all metal, ...

Ergonomically, the P320 beats the G19 to death (YMMV).  The only real advantage the G19 has over the P320 Compact IMO is price.  But we are talking about a Sig versus a Glock after all.   :geekdanc:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 01:35:45 PM »
I was in the market for a G19 to compliment my G17.  I was interested in it for CCW when I travel.

Then I bought the Sig P320 Nitron Full-Size as soon as it was available at my LGS.  It's my favorite pistol now.

What I don't see in many comparisons with the P320 is how versitile it is.  You can pick a variety of calibers and sizes, and all with the one trigger module.  I bought the Sig X-Change kit that transforms my Full-Size into a Compact.

So, when looking at G19 alternatives, it's important to match up all the specs before delving into those that require compromises.  Capacity, dimensions, weight, striker vs. hammer, polymer vs. all metal, ...

Ergonomically, the P320 beats the G19 to death (YMMV).  The only real advantage the G19 has over the P320 Compact IMO is price.  But we are talking about a Sig versus a Glock after all.   :geekdanc:

And the best part about the 320 is you can have many different sizes of guns and not have to register each one.  A huge perk for HI.

stangzilla

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 01:37:17 PM »

i may have to look into the P320 next.....

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 01:45:13 PM »
One safety concern many have voiced about all Glocks is the need to pull the trigger when breaking it down.  You can't take off the slide unless the trigger is "uncocked."  That's accomplished by (hopefully) dry-firing the pistol before disassembly.

There have been many people causing unintentional (negligent) discharges when starting to clean their Glocks.  It's too easy to get distracted and forget to eject that round sitting in the chamber.  I have a friend who admitted he started to clean his G21 after a range visit, but he forgot it had to be uncocked to take it down.  As he was trying to figure out why the slide was being stubborn, he racked it -- and the chambered round ejected.  Shocked him to death, because he was positive it was unloaded.  Luckily, he was inexperienced and didn't know why the slide wouldn't come off.  If he'd known, he would have more than likely gotten an even bigger shock!  :shake:

Sigs can be taken apart without having to pull the trigger first.  So, if a round happens to be carelessly left in the chamber, it'll be discovered as the slide is safely removed without touching the trigger.

In a perfect world, this would never be a concern.  But, when humans are part of the equation, the product ought to be as foolproof as possible.

-- Melvin Udall

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 01:52:46 PM »
That’s more of a basic safety issue. I don’t think it would make much of a difference for any other firearm if you don’t drop the mag and check the chamber a few times briefly.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 02:11:23 PM »
That’s more of a basic safety issue. I don’t think it would make much of a difference for any other firearm if you don’t drop the mag and check the chamber a few times briefly.

It's absolutely a user-caused problem.  But, if one brand requires a trigger pull to break it down, and others do not, the increased risk still exists if (when) someone skips the basic safety check for any reason.

If you've ever left a burner on after cooking or the front door unlocked when you left for work, you understand that we can't always trust what we have been taught.
-- Melvin Udall

robtmc

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 03:29:14 PM »
If you've ever left a burner on after cooking or the front door unlocked when you left for work, you understand that we can't always trust what we have been taught.
Good thought.  I tend to think I do not leave much to chance, but have embarassed myself too many times to still believe that.

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 02:14:24 PM »
I watched this video the other day when it showed up in my feed.  I enjoy Mac's videos.  He's quite opinionated, though from a perspective of having tried the firearms or other equipment for himself.  Not many who comment on stuff like actually have experience shooting the firearms.  At least beyond those reviews about "fit and finish", but not having shot the gun.  At least for me, the feedback from those who shoot is more important than those who just own (which is fine, just not as interesting).

This one is his opinion.  That's it.  He knows he's going to get flamed.  My personal experience shooting and watching others shoot the 43, 48, and other subcompact is that it depends on the person's preference, how the gun suits that person, and their time with the gun.  For my friends that own the guns, the smaller size doesn't seem to fit them well.  Maybe just their grip, but a lot of malfunctions with hands on slide stops or other stuff.  Bottom line is that they didn't function reliably.  Maybe user error, but that's kind of what I'm getting at. 

Another big things that I've noticed with subcompacts is that it either takes a lot to get used to the smaller grip, or it just doesn't work well for some.  I see a lot of folks regripping between shots, and something that he does at numerous parts in the video.  Yeah, he may be shooting the gun decent, but that regripping was no bueno.  If he likes it, suits him fine, etc good for him. 

If anyone wants to get rid of their obsolete 19, I'll take it.   :thumbsup:

jase90

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 03:09:20 PM »
If Glock can think outside the box for once other than their inception, they could probably design a Glock 19 or 17 magazine like Shield Arms for the 43X and 48.

Ditch the polymer lining for more inside magazine volume space and probably shove another 5 rounds or so there making it it "cutting edge."... But it's Glock, who the hell are we to be hopeful for them to make a major design change lol.

Maybe that'll be another thing Shield Arms or another aftermarket company to capitalize on.

I'm talking about free state magazines though. All our neutered handguns in Hawaii make this a moot point.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:05:55 PM by jase90 »

jase90

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 03:10:01 PM »
Double post
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:04:18 PM by jase90 »

Influence

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 05:37:36 PM »
I’ve run through a few handguns over the years.  Started with Glock and expanded out to S&W, Sig, HK and CZ.  Found I liked my CZs best (Shadow 2, SP-01, P-01), but I went back to the Glock 19 as my go to for basically one reason.  Shtf, I feel parts will be more common.  Other than that, CZ all day for me.

changemyoil66

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 05:40:15 PM »
Whats ur thoughts on the 320 having no trigger or external safety (not m17 version)?. At least glocks have the bladed trigger. That was 1 additional reason why i stayed away from the 320.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 07:33:45 PM »
Whats ur thoughts on the 320 having no trigger or external safety (not m17 version)?. At least glocks have the bladed trigger. That was 1 additional reason why i stayed away from the 320.

What does the bladed trigger safety accomplish?  Anything that pulls the trigger (finger, jacket drawstring, etc.) will deactivate that trigger safety.  The only thing it can really prevent is a discharge caused by dropping.

Sig had a problem with the P320 in that area.  The weight of the trigger was sufficient that when dropped at an angle, the trigger could be forced to move to the rear and discharge the weapon.  The reason this was not caught before distribution is the drop-test standards all have the gun dropped straight down.  But, when the gun was dropped closer to the slide, the trigger was more likely to activate. 

I sent mine into Sig, and they repaired the trigger for free.  Not sure what all they swapped out, but I know that before the repair, the trigger didn't click when pulled without the striker in the charged position (slide hasn't been racked).  Now, the trigger makes a definite click sound each time it's pulled without the striker being released.  I know the replaced the trigger itself, because it's now thinner and weighs less.  That keeps it from being pushed to the rear by inertia when dropped at that "bad" angle.

Since the "voluntary upgrade" program began, I've not seen any more reports of drop-related discharges.  There were only a few reported that initiated the upgrade.  Since Sig maintained that the gun met required drop-safety testing standards, they didn't label it a "recall".

I've never seen a need for a manual safety on a Glock.  Same for a P320.  If you don't want to carry in condition 0, then simply don't have a round chambered.  Time to remember to take the safety off vs. time to rack the slide.  Seems like a wash to me.

There's a school of thought that says you should not trust a manual safety to protect against discharge.  Mechanical devices fail, people forget to set them to "safe" and they can accidentally be disengaged.  Better to treat the gun as ready to fire than depend on a safety and treat it as "safe".
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 07:40:43 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 10:22:23 AM »
I’ve run through a few handguns over the years.  Started with Glock and expanded out to S&W, Sig, HK and CZ.  Found I liked my CZs best (Shadow 2, SP-01, P-01), but I went back to the Glock 19 as my go to for basically one reason.  Shtf, I feel parts will be more common.  Other than that, CZ all day for me.
Love my SP-01 Shadow Target :thumbsup:

Bought it to shoot USPSA matches, and have all the gear.  But have stuck with my 34.  Hopefully the bays open up again soon.  I've had some other shooting friends shoot my SP-01 and got at least two of them to buy one for themselves.   ;D

A bunch of shooting buddies have and really like the P10 as well.  That's a pretty sweet gun too. 

Like you, while I enjoy shooting my CZs, I always go back to my Glocks (19, 17, 34), for various reasons. 

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 10:23:10 AM »

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
My thoughts are you should buy one and try it for yourself, and let us know how you like it. 

Then you can teach macsak how to shoot. ..  8)

macsak

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 12:55:54 PM »
My thoughts are you should buy one and try it for yourself, and let us know how you like it. 

Then you can teach macsak how to shoot. ..  8)

i own no firearms nor ammo...