What does the "period" or "dot" mean? (Read 5672 times)

aletheuo137

Re: What does the "period" or "dot" mean?
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2021, 03:28:32 PM »
I knew that!  :oops: :oops: :oops:
Appreciate you guys!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2021, 04:10:17 PM »
Just giving him a hard time

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Is that the only. . . (nah, not going there)

:rofl:

Inspector

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2021, 04:17:27 PM »
Is that the only. . . (nah, not going there)

At least it was hard...  :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

6716J

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2021, 07:51:43 AM »
@macsak

heads

whatever that means
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

drck1000

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2021, 08:17:35 AM »
@macsak

heads

whatever that means
Does what folks with Tourettes blurt out have any meaning?   ???  :crazy:

hvybarrels

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2021, 12:24:03 PM »
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

hvybarrels

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2021, 12:30:41 PM »
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

changemyoil66

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2021, 12:57:13 PM »
Does what folks with Tourettes blurt out have any meaning?   ???  :crazy:

IRL they do.  A guy I went to school with was hilarious when standing next to a fat or black person.

passivekinetic

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2021, 01:03:53 PM »
Has this been answered?

Anyway because you can't delete messages, people use that to self-censor after the fact.

I've wanted to ask this question and I finally will.  In the threads that have heated arguments what is meant when someone posts this?:

.?  (without the question mark.  just the period.)

What does it imply or mean?

Thanks.  Not that I will use it.  It seems to be a derogatory tactic.  I think.  Just want to understand.
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2021, 01:47:07 PM »
Has this been answered?

Anyway because you can't delete messages, people use that to self-censor after the fact.

It's used when you want to say, "I'm ignoring you, and I want you to know it."  Similar to typing, "This Page Intentionally Left Blank."  It's not really blank anymore, but it gets the message across that there's nothing to see there.  If the page were truly blank, you would wonder if that was intentional or an accident.

Simply ignoring certain members only causes them to become more unhinged in an attempt to illicit a response.  The hope was that a "dot" would convey the appropriate message without engaging the member.

It's hard to say whether or not the tactic has had the desired effect.  It does, however, appear to act as a placebo for the person posting the "dot", so they aren't compelled to issue an actual reply.  So, I think there may be some benefit to it.

Having said that, the double-dot is nothing more than piling on.  I think simply hitting the "Like" button on the "dot" post would suffice.

All of this is my opinion.  Whatever....
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

QUIETShooter

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2021, 03:15:30 PM »
Has this been answered?

So the member who posts the dot right after the other members post is kinda saying "Here, I posted the self censor dot for you since you won't do it yourself?"  Sorry if I still seem confused.  ???

It's used when you want to say, "I'm ignoring you, and I want you to know it."  Similar to typing, "This Page Intentionally Left Blank."  It's not really blank anymore, but it gets the message across that there's nothing to see there.  If the page were truly blank, you would wonder if that was intentional or an accident.

Simply ignoring certain members only causes them to become more unhinged in an attempt to illicit a response.  The hope was that a "dot" would convey the appropriate message without engaging the member.

It's hard to say whether or not the tactic has had the desired effect.  It does, however, appear to act as a placebo for the person posting the "dot", so they aren't compelled to issue an actual reply.  So, I think there may be some benefit to it.

Having said that, the double-dot is nothing more than piling on.  I think simply hitting the "Like" button on the "dot" post would suffice.

All of this is my opinion.  Whatever....

This seems to be the most accurate as far as what is happening in those heated threads.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.