Take a chill pill, guys... (Read 26256 times)

Jl808

Take a chill pill, guys...
« on: April 06, 2021, 02:39:04 PM »
Moderation on this forum is very lenient.  Discussion of various topics by opposing viewpoints (often heated) are allowed and generally tolerated on this forum.
However, I've been noticing that some threads are really just devolving into pages of back-and-forth insults and the original topics are getting lost in all the nonsensical posts.

As far as I know, the mods avoid and minimize having to delete people's posts. 
I'll start an internal discussion with the other mods to see if post deletions are necessary, and we will be keeping an eye on this.

To minimize the non-stop back-and-forth insults, be advised that insults perceived by mods to have crossed a line will receive a timeout.
Anyone arguing with a mod's decision to issue a timeout may also receive a timeout. 
More serious repercussions (including longer time outs or even permanent bans) could be considered if someone continues even after multiple warnings.

We don't want to delete posts but may do so if a post really crosses a line.  Time outs are a good middle ground to help calm things down on some of the more heated threads.

2AHawaii is one of the few places we can discuss topics that are important to us.  There will be disagreements and we don't have to agree on everything.
Please... if you have nothing good to add to a topic, don't jump on someone else's post and insult them because you disagree with what they're saying.  Especially when they're not talking to you.
Treat 2AHawaii.com as our online forum / community / home.  Let's keep this place clean and civil.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 02:48:53 PM by Jl808 »
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

macsak

Re: Take a chill pill, guys...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 02:55:06 PM »
i hate that it got to this point, but we need to be discussing things without resorting to insults and name-calling

i'd like to add that suggesting that someone is being insulting may result in a time out for the one suggesting too
this is not a mechanism to complain about other posters (or moderators)

if you have an issue with this, or anything else about how the forum is being run, you can take it up with us and the site owner personally
or you can start your own forum and run it the way you wish...

Moderation on this forum is very lenient.  Discussion of various topics by opposing viewpoints (often heated) are allowed and generally tolerated on this forum.
However, I've been noticing that some threads are really just devolving into pages of back-and-forth insults and the original topics are getting lost in all the nonsensical posts.

As far as I know, the mods avoid and minimize having to delete people's posts. 
I'll start an internal discussion with the other mods to see if post deletions are necessary, and we will be keeping an eye on this.

To minimize the non-stop back-and-forth insults, be advised that insults perceived by mods to have crossed a line will receive a timeout.
Anyone arguing with a mod's decision to issue a timeout may also receive a timeout. 
More serious repercussions (including longer time outs or even permanent bans) could be considered if someone continues even after multiple warnings.

We don't want to delete posts but may do so if a post really crosses a line.  Time outs are a good middle ground to help calm things down on some of the more heated threads.

2AHawaii is one of the few places we can discuss topics that are important to us.  There will be disagreements and we don't have to agree on everything.
Please... if you have nothing good to add to a topic, don't jump on someone else's post and insult them because you disagree with what they're saying.  Especially when they're not talking to you.
Treat 2AHawaii.com as our online forum / community / home.  Let's keep this place clean and civil.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 02:58:17 PM »
i hate that it got to this point, but we need to be discussing things without resorting to insults and name-calling

i'd like to add that suggesting that someone is being insulting may result in a time out for the one suggesting too
this is not a mechanism to complain about other posters (or moderators)

if you have an issue with this, or anything else about how the forum is being run, you can take it up with us and the site owner personally
or you can start your own forum and run it the way you wish...

If you punish the people reporting bad behavior, then the mods are going to have to more diligently take time every single day to read all the threads themselves.  Punishing the people being called names will make your job of policing the forum that much more work for you.

If you don't want people to report bad posts, then why even have the link?  Take it off.

Just my opinion.  You do what you want.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 03:01:32 PM »
If you punish the people reporting bad behavior, then the mods are going to have to more diligently take time every single day to read all the threads themselves.  Punishing the people being called names will make your job of policing the forum that much more work for you.

If you don't want people to report bad posts, then why even have the link?  Take it off.

Just my opinion.  You do what you want.

not punishing people reporting bad behavior
punishing people who are using reporting maliciously...

i already had to delete one of your posts, FJ...

Inspector

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 03:17:53 PM »
Well I know I am part of the problem so I will stop.  :shaka:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 03:20:38 PM »
not punishing people reporting bad behavior
punishing people who are using reporting maliciously...

i already had to delete one of your posts, FJ...

So, now this thread is for calling out specific individual's bad behavior?

How about we "pause" all the do-nothing peanut gallery and insults MODS post, such as:

#heads
#twss
#nofocus
i'm guessing you need pubix donations...
i own no ammo nor reloading components...
but at least you weren't wrong...
i blame your parents for your actions...
he's never wrong...
sacrasm is hard...
once again, it's all about you...
wow, you even refer to yourself as "it"...
it must be nice to never be wrong...
you were running for president?
"other factors"
is this sentence in english?

And so many more examples.  Are these examples of what we are to accept as contributing to the discussions?  The only thing these comments contribute is adding to the mod's post count and the number of nonsense posts the rest of us have to read in order to remove them from our Unread Posts list.

If mods want to "draw a line," then they should be held to that same standard -- possibly even a higher standard.  If the line is insults, then some of those examples qualify for deletion.  If the line is "doesn't contribute in any way to the discussion," then all of those above qualify to be deleted.

Either you create a list of rules for everyone to follow and enforce them, or you don't.  Inconsistency does not work.

Again, my opinion.  Feel free to delete this if you want, but I hope you read it first.
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 03:28:38 PM »
see you in 24 hours...

So, now this thread is for calling out specific individual's bad behavior?

How about we "pause" all the do-nothing peanut gallery and insults MODS post, such as:

#heads
#twss
#nofocus
i'm guessing you need pubix donations...
i own no ammo nor reloading components...
but at least you weren't wrong...
i blame your parents for your actions...
he's never wrong...
sacrasm is hard...
once again, it's all about you...
wow, you even refer to yourself as "it"...
it must be nice to never be wrong...
you were running for president?
"other factors"
is this sentence in english?

And so many more examples.  Are these examples of what we are to accept as contributing to the discussions?  The only thing these comments contribute is adding to the mod's post count and the number of nonsense posts the rest of us have to read in order to remove them from our Unread Posts list.

If mods want to "draw a line," then they should be held to that same standard -- possibly even a higher standard.  If the line is insults, then some of those examples qualify for deletion.  If the line is "doesn't contribute in any way to the discussion," then all of those above qualify to be deleted.

Either you create a list of rules for everyone to follow and enforce them, or you don't.  Inconsistency does not work.

Again, my opinion.  Feel free to delete this if you want, but I hope you read it first.

omnigun

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 04:30:08 PM »
So I am curious, will this include the endless (period) posts,  creating random genders to try and insult,  insulting people's intelligence/age.  ETC?

I'll give it a shot though.  Try and reset my way of posting back to respect driven as, that's apparently the goal of this thread.

Who owns this site?  How far with the moderation go?  Are we talking facebook level?  Will there be censorship?

macsak

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 05:12:10 PM »
So I am curious, will this include the endless (period) posts,  creating random genders to try and insult,  insulting people's intelligence/age.  ETC?

I'll give it a shot though.  Try and reset my way of posting back to respect driven as, that's apparently the goal of this thread.

Who owns this site?  How far with the moderation go?  Are we talking facebook level?  Will there be censorship?

i thought i was clear about this not being a mechanism to complain about moderation

tick.tick.tick...

omnigun

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 05:46:25 PM »
i thought i was clear about this not being a mechanism to complain about moderation

tick.tick.tick...

It's questions,  I'm not complaining. We can take this to PM to clarify.  So we don't have any misunderstandings.

macsak

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 07:20:21 PM »
It's questions,  I'm not complaining. We can take this to PM to clarify.  So we don't have any misunderstandings.

there is no misunderstanding...

Glasser

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 06:31:28 PM »
I am a fresh face here and not hot to complain to management about how they run the joint or moderate, but does this forum software support an '/ignore user' function? That feature does tend cut down considerably on the nonsense being warned about in this thread. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 09:58:38 PM »
I am a fresh face here and not hot to complain to management about how they run the joint or moderate, but does this forum software support an '/ignore user' function? That feature does tend cut down considerably on the nonsense being warned about in this thread.

Yes, but its usefulness is spotty at best, as the comments made by users you have set to ignore will appear in subsequent posts if another member quotes them.

You almost have to read the quoted comments to understand the context of the responses.  At that point, ignoring a user becomes an exercise in self control.
-- Melvin Udall

mrgaf

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 06:31:57 AM »
Shades of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Hah…what a joke!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Glasser

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2021, 08:28:34 PM »
just an observation, but if certain board users go out of their way to constantly make  statements as fact which are obviously not, even if  they may or may not know them to be untrue and their only measurable effect is to create conflict which drives others user from participating in  this forum, maybe its time to cut them loose?

From a purely math perspective, if they add nothing but subtract active members you might want to consider its time to terminate their participation?

I think everyone loves a spirited debate from opposite points of view if for no other reason than to solidify their own beliefs.  But arguing with people who will not and cannot defend their positions does nothing but sow frustration and animosity. The health of the community in in your hands.  Cull the heard or it dies of disease.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 08:39:44 PM »
just an observation, but if certain board users go out of their way to constantly make  statements as fact which are obviously not, even if  they may or may not know them to be untrue and their only measurable effect is to create conflict which drives others user from participating in  this forum, maybe its time to cut them loose?

From a purely math perspective, if they add nothing but subtract active members you might want to consider its time to cut them loose.

I think everyone loves a spirited debate from opposite points of view if for no other reason than to solidify their beliefs.  But arguing with people who will not and cannot defend their positions does nothing but sow frustration and animosity. The health of the community in in your hands.  Cull the heard or it dies of disease.

From a purely objective perspective, I think when one particular member (and I do mean member) hijacks thread after thread and repeats the same info across threads, most forums would have tried to correct the behavior until it's obvious the person has no intention of trying to follow the rules.  They are then banned, because the behavior is, as you said, disruptive and creates conflict -- as well as confusion -- as the readers try to sift through the constant bombardment of the same rhetorical gibberish day after day.

There needs to be an effort on the part of the posting member to find the place they originally posted the information and use a link to it.  That way, others can not only get the redundant info, but also see the other thread/s and replies/context without having to dive down the same rabbit hole again.

Nobody wants to do a search on "Roe v. Wade" inside any forum and have the same fricking comments pop up in the results over and over and over ....
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 08:48:16 PM »

From a purely math perspective, if they add nothing but subtract active members you might want to consider its time to terminate their participation?

I think everyone loves a spirited debate from opposite points of view if for no other reason than to solidify their own beliefs.  But arguing with people who will not and cannot defend their positions does nothing but sow frustration and animosity. The health of the community in in your hands.  Cull the heard or it dies of disease.

I agree let that ONE person go. He/She?Them?they is an idiot and the disease.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 09:03:43 PM »
I agree let that ONE person go. He/She?Them?they is an idiot and the disease.

Too bad he never learned that the First Amendment doesn't cover bad behavior.

It's not so much the message and disagreement, but it's the constant badgering, arguing, hijacking, making threads all about themselves, etc.

It's the Pee Wee symdrom:

"I know you are, but what am I?!"
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 09:22:11 PM »
should we start a poll?