stangzilla

Re: 50 BMG Kaboom
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 09:59:02 AM »

somewhat graphic. He is VERY fortunate

wow.  lucky

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 09:59:48 AM »
Rhodes would use this as an excuse to push his 50cal ban again.

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 10:59:09 AM »
You'll shoot yer eye out with that thang.
What, Me Worry?

hvybarrels

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 11:31:18 AM »
That is horrifying. Nice to know about that iphone emergency button though, in case your iphone is covered in blood and you cant dial 911
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

stangzilla

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 12:27:20 PM »
what a story!
scary shit! 

stangzilla

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 12:39:41 PM »
i like at the end he is already shooting a pistol   :thumbsup:

GlockNewb

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 01:42:33 PM »

Great hypothetical explanation of what likely occurred. Glad to hear that Scott is recovering
"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

QUIETShooter

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 01:49:32 PM »
Glad he was wearing eye protection.  He would have suffered permanent eye damage/blindness if he didn't.

That piece that ripped into his throat/chest was that close to killing him.  Lucky.  Very lucky.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

aletheuo137

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 02:13:17 PM »
The Lord was watching over him that day!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 08:06:55 PM »
That video almost brought me to tears. Though he never really addressed it I was wondering if he is going to avoid those "Slap" rounds in the future? If it is a factory ammunition, even with age, should this have happened?

My other thought was wondering if there was a problem with the steel that made the threads on the cap not as strong as they should have been. Maybe a problem in the heat treating of the metal or a flaw in the steel itself from the steel factory.

But gosh, thank god for that training, that he knew to pack a wound like that.

Tom_G

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 05:22:58 PM »
He's a little confused about what the jugular vein is there for. And stunningly fortunate!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2021, 05:33:46 PM »
That video almost brought me to tears. Though he never really addressed it I was wondering if he is going to avoid those "Slap" rounds in the future? If it is a factory ammunition, even with age, should this have happened?

My other thought was wondering if there was a problem with the steel that made the threads on the cap not as strong as they should have been. Maybe a problem in the heat treating of the metal or a flaw in the steel itself from the steel factory.

But gosh, thank god for that training, that he knew to pack a wound like that.
Its not the threads. Its that this model has no other way to release any pressure, so kaboom straight back into the shooter is the only option.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

stangzilla

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2021, 07:35:46 PM »
He's a little confused about what the jugular vein is there for. And stunningly fortunate!

Yeah, I think he meant to say carotid artery. But I like the guy and his channel so I'll let him slide on the technicality

Platinum808

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2021, 08:03:35 PM »
 This is why they banned them  :rofl: :rofl:
Oh ignorant youth, the world is not a joyous place. The time has come for you to dispense with the frivolous pleasures of childhood and get down to honest toil until you are sixty-five. Then and only then can you relax and collect your social security and live happily until the time of your death!

-Hunter S. Thompson

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 07:53:31 PM »
Its not the threads. Its that this model has no other way to release any pressure, so kaboom straight back into the shooter is the only option.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I watched two other videos which talked about possible problems.

The guy who does Forgotten weapons pointed out how it didn't have any pressure release port as well as didn't have any locking lugs. He suspected it came down to a barrel blockage of some type. He covered the history of some older guns and how later versions had locking lugs and other safety features.

Another guy pointed out that the SLAP rounds should not be shot out of guns with barrel breaks/flash hiders/compensators/etc unless specifically designed for that round. This made sense too but I don't know exactly how a sabot jacket works, maybe it could have hit the break wrong or something?

Either way it is pretty scary how much power that thing had that it could just shear threads like that.

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 09:01:35 PM »
One lucky guy, and seems to be recovering quite quickly. Good that he can share the story.

stangzilla

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 01:05:37 PM »

changemyoil66

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 10:52:54 PM »
Company released a vid. To cause the threads to fail, 85,000 is not sufficient. It takes 160,000.

Also slap round he used is not mil spec. No crimping and no indentations on the sabot.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 09:04:00 PM »
Company released a vid. To cause the threads to fail, 85,000 is not sufficient. It takes 160,000.

Also slap round he used is not mil spec. No crimping and no indentations on the sabot.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Even if the numbers are accurate there are lots of variables. For example the steel could have been defective from the steel factory. It may have been improperly heated/heat treated.

Even if the slap round was way overloaded with powder something must have caused a barrel obstruction right? Otherwise the pressure would have taken the easy way out the barrel