Celebrating the achievements of progressive liberalism (Read 782 times)

passivekinetic

Celebrating the achievements of progressive liberalism
« on: May 31, 2022, 04:59:29 PM »

"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

passivekinetic

Re: Celebrating the achievements of progressive liberalism
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 05:00:48 PM »
- Anonymous

passivekinetic

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 05:31:14 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
- Anonymous

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 06:07:18 PM »
I've done in-depth research on this topic, and the only successes I've been able to find were limited to the a period labeled "The Progressive Era."

The exact dates of the Progressive Era are up for debate, but it is safe to say that this period of reform and
social action lasted roughly from the late 1800s through about 1920.
https://www.reference.com/history/notable-accomplishments-progressive-era-bc9031e24d0e6847

While the successes listed in that article were attributed to Progressive Liberals, the results would not have happened without at least some support from Conservatives.

Like the song says:  "What have you done for me lately?"  I don't see any successes attributed to the Progressive Liberals since the 1920s, partially because the Democrats were much more centrist/conservative than today.  You can point to successes ushered in by Kennedy and other Democrats, but I don't think they qualify as Progressives nor liberals.

Look at civil rights in the 50s and 60s.  The Democrats opposed legislation that protected the rights of minorities, while Republicans pushed that legislation through Congress -- such as desegregation and voting rights.  It was only when Democrats finally realized they could "buy" the votes of minorities did they become the "champion" of civil rights.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

passivekinetic

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 07:07:12 PM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/guns-should-not-be-in-the-hands-of-the-mentally-unstable-says-senile-man-with-nukes

WASHINGTON, D.C.—A senile old man in Washington who has a deadly nuclear arsenal at his fingertips is calling for dangerous weapons to be taken out of the hands of the mentally unstable.

"Listen, folks, this shouldn't be difficult," said the yammering old geriatric to a duck in the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool. "The mentally unstable shouldn't have guns! It's dangerous! Think of what could happen, Jack! They could fire it blindly through their front door because they heard a noise, or leave it right out in the open where a Taliban terrorist could pick it up, or accidentally kill innocent people they thought were bad guys but turned out to be foreign aid workers!" The man then dove face-first into the pool because he thought he saw an ice cream cone there.

(More on the website)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Anonymous

passivekinetic

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 01:59:56 PM »

- Anonymous

passivekinetic

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 08:11:42 AM »

- Anonymous

robtmc

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2022, 09:45:30 AM »
You can point to successes ushered in by Kennedy and other Democrats, but I don't think they qualify as Progressives nor liberals.
JFK would not have a chance with current liberals in charge.

It was only when Democrats finally realized they could "buy" the votes of minorities did they become the "champion" of civil rights.
Exactly correct.  LBJ and his “I'll have them n!ggers voting Democratic for the next two hundred years."  exemplies this and their views of protected voting blocks.