"case" for taking firearms in to register (Read 3045 times)

haole phil

"case" for taking firearms in to register
« on: October 10, 2020, 04:41:17 PM »
For some reason I read, or got it in my head that when taking in firearms to register from out of state they had to be in a box or hard case. I see the website just says they must be cased. Before I waste a bunch of money on plastic cases, will me soft cases be ok?

Duenas0326

Re: "case" for taking firearms in to register
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 05:09:26 PM »
Yes sir soft cases are fine.

haole phil

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 05:14:21 PM »
Yes sir soft cases are fine.

Thanks much!

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 08:14:22 PM »
I've seen many people just carry the firearm in the cardboard box it was shipped in.  Pretty much anything that can cover it so it can't be seen is fine. 

Seems like the #1 reason for casing is to prevent anyone else who sees you from flipping out over you having a firearm in public.

Of course, the caveat to all this is that federal law applies to carrying guns within 1,000 feet of school property.  If you're within 1,000 feet of a school, the firearm must be in a locked case.  So, make sure you aren't walking or driving past a school on the way to the police station unless the case is locked.  Yes, it applies to driving by schools from what I've read.

https://concealednation.org/2015/11/the-legality-of-carrying-within-1000-feet-of-a-school-zone/

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

haole phil

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 08:38:57 PM »
Thanks, I have to drive down a road with a police station on the left side and a school on the right. I have to haul everything down at once so that many locked cases might be difficult. I can probably lock the zippers together

rpoL98

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 08:48:57 PM »
I saw a guy carrying his rifle in a gun sock to register it at HPD.   :wacko:

aaronc5362

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 08:53:08 PM »
Idk if the rules changed but ive seen gun socks as well that normal peeps (not hpd) bring in. An old guy brought in a 375 h and h in a gun sock. He kills water buffalos in africa, he said. And his photos kinda proved it as well.

I think the rule is it cannot be seen in public/ "brandishing" a firearm. So a transparent trash bag will not do.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 09:05:12 PM »
Thanks, I have to drive down a road with a police station on the left side and a school on the right. I have to haul everything down at once so that many locked cases might be difficult. I can probably lock the zippers together

Locked container is all that's specified (or locked in a rack if you have one in your vehicle).    A padlock holding a zipper shut is a locked container by definition.  Nothing says it has to meet TSA, or any other, standards.

If that's the police station where you are doing the registration, you might call and ask what they recommend.  They might tell you the school is more than 1,000 feet from where the station entrance is, so no locks needed.

Good luck.

-- Melvin Udall

Rocky

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 07:27:56 AM »

KISS

134-(23) (24) (25) (27)
     "Enclosed container" means a rigidly constructed receptacle, or a commercially manufactured gun case, or the equivalent thereof that completely encloses the ammunition.
NOBODY HERE DOES ANYTHING ILLEGAL. :P
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

haole phil

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 11:55:20 AM »
hey, side question. I'm gonna have to go by myself and I have uh, more stuff than I can take in one trip. I'm not sure how to do that unless they have carts there for me to use, lol

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 12:56:20 PM »
hey, side question. I'm gonna have to go by myself and I have uh, more stuff than I can take in one trip. I'm not sure how to do that unless they have carts there for me to use, lol
No carts. You’d have to being your own.

haole phil

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 01:01:31 PM »
No carts. You’d have to being your own.

afraid of that. I really don't want to make 2 trips. damn. Maybe I can find something.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 01:08:20 PM »

They sell soft-sided wagons at places like Costco that fold in half for transport and storage.  Very useful for all sorts of things.  Ideal for what you're asking about.

I've seen people use these at the range to carry all their gear and firearms at the range, especially at MidPacific Pistol League competitions where you need water and possibly a lunch.

You may know someone who has one already and will let you borrow theirs.

https://www.costco.com/mac-sports-folding-wagon-with-cargo-net.product.100518869.html
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 01:19:00 PM »
I got the 1 with the bigger tires.  That way its easier on dirt and grass.

haole phil

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 01:41:47 PM »
They sell soft-sided wagons at places like Costco that fold in half for transport and storage.  Very useful for all sorts of things.  Ideal for what you're asking about.

I've seen people use these at the range to carry all their gear and firearms at the range, especially at MidPacific Pistol League competitions where you need water and possibly a lunch.

You may know someone who has one already and will let you borrow theirs.

https://www.costco.com/mac-sports-folding-wagon-with-cargo-net.product.100518869.html

that's kind of what I had in mind too, I've seen lots of people use those at the range on the mainland. I just dunno if I can get one by tomorrow. If they had one with sand tires it could pull double duty

edit target has one, thanks. I don't know anybody  ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 01:49:43 PM by haole phil »

Wchiro

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 11:08:19 PM »
For some reason I read, or got it in my head that when taking in firearms to register from out of state they had to be in a box or hard case. I see the website just says they must be cased. Before I waste a bunch of money on plastic cases, will me soft cases be ok?

Coming from out of state aren't the firearms required to be shipped in a hard case (assuming it came through airlines unless through military?).  Yes soft cases are okay for HPD.   :thumbsup:

I've never had to padlock my soft case when registering at HPD.  It just slows down the process. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:16:45 PM by Wchiro »

haole phil

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 12:55:18 PM »
Coming from out of state aren't the firearms required to be shipped in a hard case (assuming it came through airlines unless through military?).  Yes soft cases are okay for HPD.   :thumbsup:

They came in my safe inside my shipping container. Movers loaded the safe in the box, then I loaded the contents and locked it and they strapped it down. Worked well. Everything in soft cases with only the top shelf for pistols and all the rifles packed tight in the bottom with some silver and other valuables. As long as there was no ammo, Matson just had me sign a declaration and didn't care. I locked my container and the locks were never removed.

Hpd isn't thrilled I showed up with a literal wagon load of firearms. I kinda screwed up the schedule. I feel bad. I didn't count but think I'm at 20ish. They've actually been quite pleasant about it all.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 01:29:59 PM »
They came in my safe inside my shipping container. Movers loaded the safe in the box, then I loaded the contents and locked it and they strapped it down. Worked well. Everything in soft cases with only the top shelf for pistols and all the rifles packed tight in the bottom with some silver and other valuables. As long as there was no ammo, Matson just had me sign a declaration and didn't care. I locked my container and the locks were never removed.

Hpd isn't thrilled I showed up with a literal wagon load of firearms. I kinda screwed up the schedule. I feel bad. I didn't count but think I'm at 20ish. They've actually been quite pleasant about it all.

Don't feel bad for HPD.  They get paid to be there.

Pity the guy waiting right behind you!   :geekdanc: :shaka:
-- Melvin Udall

haole phil

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 02:34:00 PM »
Don't feel bad for HPD.  They get paid to be there.

Pity the guy waiting right behind you!   :geekdanc: :shaka:

outside in the heat too  :rofl:

sorry guys. I got a lot of crap, I sold what I could before I moved and just kept the stuff I couldn't let go of or just couldn't sell. A lot of those were ar15 receivers that just aren't worth anything to sell anyway. The rest stuff my dad bought me that has sentimental value and a few things I bought before I came because it was easier (ex: cz shadow ii that I need to go shoot), some customs I just have too much money in to sell them.  :shaka:

Best part was the tiny 80lb lady afraid she was going to hurt 270lb me pressing my hand too hard on the fingerprint machine  :rofl: