Xring - can't shoot .380 (Read 12288 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Xring - can't shoot .380
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 01:08:38 PM »
I know it is a liability concern with handloaded ammo. If you have a blow up it could injure adjacent shooters. They should consider giving you additional time on your contract and or bringing some 380 in for you from another dealer if the criteria is you must buy from them and you will be paying retail price anyway. I can see that the business model is to make money on the ammo sales but customer service should be first. I'm just putting in my 2 cents as Hawaii is small and a bad experience spreads fast.

They don't charge "retail" for their range ammo.  They charged inflated range ammo prices, as does the other indoor range.

I've talked to a few guys across the US who visit indoor ranges, and many do not require you buy their ammo.  Maybe their insurance carrier allows it?  IDK.  Or maybe they get more volume (like costco) so they can keep ammo prices down.  Personally, been to a Vegas indoor that wasn't marketed on the strip.  Box of 9mm cost me $16.  Range fee was $10.

But in the end, I'm not a business owner so IDK the cost to operate the range.  Lead rated air filters, lead clean up I assume would be the most expensive monthly cost.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 03:30:14 PM »
They don't charge "retail" for their range ammo.  They charged inflated range ammo prices, as does the other indoor range.

I've talked to a few guys across the US who visit indoor ranges, and many do not require you buy their ammo.  Maybe their insurance carrier allows it?  IDK.  Or maybe they get more volume (like costco) so they can keep ammo prices down.  Personally, been to a Vegas indoor that wasn't marketed on the strip.  Box of 9mm cost me $16.  Range fee was $10.

But in the end, I'm not a business owner so IDK the cost to operate the range.  Lead rated air filters, lead clean up I assume would be the most expensive monthly cost.

I went to Palmetto State Armory in SC (yep, the one everyone here seems to order their PSA products from).  They had a Memorial Day weekend special.

-  Free range time -- unlimited as long as nobody was waiting for a lane.

-  I had my own ammo.  They did a visual and magnet check (for steel tip), and said no problem.  Their own ammo was cheap: 50 rds 9mm reloads was $8. Factory ammo was $11.

-  The whole hour+ visit cost me $2.50 + tax for targets.

-  The range was clean, well lit, had nice dividers between lanes, digital target controls (press the distance you want and ZOOM! -- target is sent downrange to the selected distance). 

-  They do require you sweep your brass into their collection buckets to help offset their costs.  All in all, a great time.

In NC, I went to a smaller, less modern range.  They had two indoor ranges actually -- one for rifles, one for pistols.

-  Inspected my ammo, just like the PSA

-  Was supposed to charge me for 2 hours, but didn't charge anything at all -- said I could stay and shoot as long as I wanted.   :thumbsup:

-  3 targets ran $4

-  Same spent brass collection rule

-  Rates were based on membership levels.  I didn't join, so I was supposed to pay full price.  If you pay more for monthly/annual membership, it includes lots of discounts on supplies, ammo and range fee.

Both ranges required a short amount of reading/watching a video for training and my signatures for release of liability and acknowledgement of receiving the training and list of rules.  I'm sure insurance is affected/ by/requires these safety measures.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

rklapp

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2019, 05:52:20 PM »
The problem is likely that there's a lack of competition.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

ren

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2020, 04:15:35 PM »
can I pew pew this:

Deeds Not Words