Help with Remington 700 upgrades (Read 6143 times)

BLKDRGN

Help with Remington 700 upgrades
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:42:05 AM »
We are doing research on upgrading our Remington 700 .308 rifle with 24" barrel. We are stuck on some of the options. Anyone know about these?

It was recommended I go with a Jewell trigger. I can't find their main website. Brownells has three different ones.

Remington 700/40x & Win M70 Rifle Triggers - Br 700 Trigger
Remington 700/40x & Win M70 Rifle Triggers - R Hvr 700 Trigger
Remington 700/40x & Win M70 Rifle Triggers - Whvr M70 Trigger

Pacific Tool and Gauge bolt. I have no idea about this. One or two piece. Short or long action. They also have things like bolt face, specify OD, extractor cut, fluting, pin hole, etc.

They also recommended I re-barrel. True the action , lap the lugs do the full works on it. Pacific Custom Rifle was one place recommended.

Not sure if it matters but we plan on getting the AI AX chassis. http://shop.milehighshooting.com/Accuracy-International-AI-20224BL-AX-20-S-A-Black-AI20224BL.htm
Google it cause every question is a dumb question.

338KID

Re: Help with Remington 700 upgrades
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:19:35 AM »
Jeweled stainless bolt , 40x trigger, lap lugs , true action, polish chamber and throat ,thread and re-crown chamber .
Fast is fine , accuracy is final

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:35:29 AM »
Depends which trigger you have I normally rework the stock trigger. I do it differently that you would know.

I am a AI dealer.

I use Krieger barrels. Special spec

I have an old timer who does all the action work or me. He's a precision
Shooter.

Contact me if you have any more q's
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

BLKDRGN

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »
Jeweled stainless bolt , 40x trigger, lap lugs , true action, polish chamber and throat ,thread and re-crown chamber .

Which one? They have 3 listed

BLKDRGN

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 11:43:01 AM »
Depends which trigger you have I normally rework the stock trigger. I do it differently that you would know.

I am a AI dealer.

I use Krieger barrels. Special spec

I have an old timer who does all the action work or me. He's a precision
Shooter.

Contact me if you have any more q's

What's the difference between buying a Krieger special spec barrel compared to re-barreling my stock barrel?

Dolomite

Help with Remington 700 upgrades
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 11:43:22 AM »
take the rifle to Wayne at pacific custom and he can help you. something's should be done and others are purely optional or can be done at a later time depending on how the rifle shoots or how u want it to shoot.

I just lapped the lugs, polished the chamber & throat, badger bolt knob, polished stainless barrel, crowned and threaded barrel with a custom brake on...

I adjusted my stock tigger to 2.25 lbs on the remmy, but be careful not to go too light or you will get slam fires... still debating whether or not to get an after market trigger... Timney is another cheaper brand....

just my $.02...

Dolomite

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 11:48:46 AM »

What's the difference between buying a Krieger special spec barrel compared to re-barreling my stock barrel?

Krieger is a higher end barrel than the stock barrel... I guess it comes down to how much money u have spend....

BLKDRGN

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 11:52:17 AM »
Found out the difference between the model triggers. I think the RHVR is the one I want.

Remington Hunter Varmint Rifle (RHVR) includes top lever safety and bottom bolt release. Fits Remington 700/40x rifles, right-hand actions only. Remington Bench Rest (BR) is designed exclusively for match shooting, and includes no safety or bolt release.Fits Remington 700/40x rifles, right-hand and left-hand actions. Winchester Hunter Varmint Rifle (WHVR) fits both Pre- and Post ‘64 Winchester M70 rifles, right- and left-hand actions. Uses existing safety.

ren

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »
Glad you found your answer. i have a 40x that I was thinking about as well.
I can vouch for Wayne, his work and the groups he shoots at 600. He shoots out the spotting disk often. In my exp., there are smiths who shoot to prove their work and smiths who well...um..
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:06:43 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

338KID

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »
Wayne built my Rem . Added an fcs30 comp , badger knob . The rifle is a laser and cycles like butter .

BLKDRGN

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 01:24:42 PM »
Wayne built my Rem . Added an fcs30 comp , badger knob . The rifle is a laser and cycles like butter .

Why did you go with the FSC30 over the Precision Rifle Compensator? I noticed they have two models for the .308. They are both the same price. http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=127&idcategory=6

338KID

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 01:28:19 PM »
Why did you go with the FSC30 over the Precision Rifle Compensator? I noticed they have two models for the .308. They are both the same price. http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=127&idcategory=6
It was instock and on island . I didn't want to wait and had my rifle in Wayne's hands

Dogadobo

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 07:38:18 PM »
+1 for Wayne Takeshita!
 :shaka:

BLKDRGN

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 01:53:11 PM »
I tried to pickup a UTG Swivel picatinny adapter for my stock 700. My Atlas bipod would not fit it since the clamp part is too wide.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0053EQNA4/?tag=2ahawaii-20

It was recommended that I go with an Atlas Bipod Radius Cup Rail. This one was meant for rifles with 2 swivel studs. Mine only has one so they said I have to drill and tap a hole. Is this a job for Wayne or can I do it myself? Do I need to buy another part or use special tools to screw a bolt into the new hole?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/976595/atlas-bipod-flush-cup-1913-radius-back-rail-335-steel-black
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:23:24 PM by BLKDRGN »

ren

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 02:24:19 PM »
I tried to pickup a UTG Swivel picatinny adapter for my stock 700. My Atlas bipod would not fit it since the clamp part is too wide.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0053EQNA4/?tag=2ahawaii-20

It was recommended that I go with an Atlas Bipod Flush Cup Rail. This one was meant for rifles with 2 swivel studs. Mine only has one so they said I have to drill and tap a hole. Is this a job for Wayne or can I do it myself? Do I need to buy another part or use special tools to screw a bolt into the new hole?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/976595/atlas-bipod-flush-cup-1913-radius-back-rail-335-steel-black?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc
Ditch the airsofty UTG...after all you spent all that coin and you use a cheap part on it?
Deeds Not Words

BLKDRGN

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 03:12:35 PM »
It's the only mount that I could find that fits a single sling stud. Never knew that I have to drill into my stock.

ren

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 03:43:32 PM »
Deeds Not Words

BLKDRGN

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 07:11:20 AM »
Thanks guys for all your help. Project is now on hold for quite a while. I'll keep track of all the suggestions so I can easily start this project again. My friend just offered me his Barrett 98B. I can't turn down that offer.

338KID

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 07:51:02 AM »
Thanks guys for all your help. Project is now on hold for quite a while. I'll keep track of all the suggestions so I can easily start this project again. My friend just offered me his Barrett 98B. I can't turn down that offer.
From one project to another . Good buy on the B . Welcome to the never-ending gun projects