AR optic of choice (Read 23472 times)

GlockNewb

Re: AR optic of choice
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2020, 08:06:21 PM »
Budget LPVO review, go to 5:14 for the start of all combative-noun-or-verb/poultry-variation puns

"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

Bota-CS1

« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2020, 08:50:49 PM »
I think we should have an LPVO comparison shoot divided by power range, price, and focal plane.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

dirsh

« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2020, 09:13:45 PM »
My aim point pro has held zero no matter how many times I take it on and off. Recently replaced it with a holosun red dot that I haven’t shot yet. At least I know I can always throw my aimpoint back on
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

drck1000

« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2020, 09:48:24 AM »
I think we should have an LPVO comparison shoot divided by power range, price, and focal plane.
I'm down.  I have the FFP and "I probably spent too much" price range covered.   ;D

jase90

« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2020, 11:35:23 AM »
My aim point pro has held zero no matter how many times I take it on and off. Recently replaced it with a holosun red dot that I haven’t shot yet. At least I know I can always throw my aimpoint back on

I was thinking about getting Holosun's 515 with the solar panel for my next build. How does Holosun glass compare to the Aimpoints? And as far as the feel and finish of their optics, does it feel look pretty sturdy?

dirsh

« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2020, 09:04:31 PM »
I was thinking about getting Holosun's 515 with the solar panel for my next build. How does Holosun glass compare to the Aimpoints? And as far as the feel and finish of their optics, does it feel look pretty sturdy?

Glass is pretty clear and the sight seems pretty high quality so far. I got it during black friday a few years back. super good deal. I would buy a few more at that price.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

Surfing - Shooter

« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2020, 03:06:01 PM »
Its all about the Budget ...

High - Trijicom MRO

Low - Sig Sauer Romeo 5

drck1000

« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2020, 11:06:47 AM »
I have Aimpoint and EoTech red dots on my ARs, but I've shot a lot of rounds with Trijicon, Holosun, Primary Arms, and Sig (probably others).  For me, they all are good, or at least not bad, in terms of glass quality and clarity.  I see the dot on the target.  I've heard people comment or even complain about the tint of the glass or even a slight magnification.  While I've noticed those things, they don't bother me. 

Now for LPVOs, glass quality and clarity is a more significant factor.  That said, there's also a level of "good enough with my budget" that one needs to consider. 

stangzilla

« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2020, 04:00:05 PM »
I notice now shooting with a mask on and my shooting glasses get foggy, then my sight thru the optic gets blurry.
So gotta make sure my glasses don't get foggy or just take off mask when on the trigger

Sheppard

« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2020, 10:52:59 AM »
If you can afford an optic, then buy one. the technology has gotten so much better in recent years that there is a trickle-down effect, that is, the advanced technology that was on optics only a few years ago is now more affordable on "budget" minded optics today. Not to mention, there is a plethora of manufacturers now that make quality AR optics.
Furthermore, having a quality optic helps a proficient shooter better. Also consider as age comes the eyes go.
A new shooter, however, should not ignore the importance of knowing how to shoot with iron sights!

Rocky

« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2020, 02:00:20 PM »
A new shooter, however, should not ignore the importance of knowing how to shoot with iron sights!
+1
Our "friend" is hitting 10" steel at 440 yds with AK iron sites   8)
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

stangzilla

« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2021, 11:08:01 AM »
friend of mine is switching out optics on his AR, so looking at getting something to replace the Holosun 510c bc will be putting that optic on a pistol caliber carbine
red dot, prism scope, LPVO, or another Holosun with a magnifier. 
I don't think there is a wrong choice, just personal preference and what you want the AR to do, size, weight, target acquisition
my friend is leaning towards the Holosun with magnifier

drck1000

« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2021, 11:26:52 AM »
friend of mine is switching out optics on his AR, so looking at getting something to replace the Holosun 510c bc will be putting that optic on a pistol caliber carbine
red dot, prism scope, LPVO, or another Holosun with a magnifier. 
I don't think there is a wrong choice, just personal preference and what you want the AR to do, size, weight, target acquisition
my friend is leaning towards the Holosun with magnifier

SNIP
Nice, looking forward to seeing what your friend gets and their thoughts.

And here I'm starting to (or planning to) shoot more with irons only. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2021, 11:39:25 AM »
Personally, I only have 1 rifle. And I run the SIG Romeo5 because

1) Auto on and off. So no need worry about turning on or leaving on and battery dies in 6 months.
2) My home is 500 sq ft. So a LVPO would get in the way.  It can be learned to acquire in CQB, but a RDS is easier IMO. Also I have no yard. Living on a 3 acre home might benefit more with a LVPO.
3) For the above, I am confident I can engage at 100yards no problem with the RDS. But in reality, max distance would be 10 yards.  Any more and "belief of fear of danger" would be harder to articulate. Unless there's a movie style hotel hallway gun fight or Red Dawn type invasion.  So 10 yards is more than sufficient.
4) The skill builders I have done so far have a max range of 40 yards. Which I can hit an index card with no issues under time.
5) The Romeo5 is cheap compared to other similar type RDS or holographic sights.  I can't imagine myself spending $1200 on an ACOG, on my cheap Smith and Wesson M&P15.

But to each their own. Buy what makes you happy and fits your needs.  And buy once, cry once. I'm learning this more and more as the years go on.

changemyoil66

« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2021, 11:40:49 AM »

And here I'm starting to (or planning to) shoot more with irons only.

What are those irons you are referring to?  Is that some antique technology.

All jokes aside, since 2016, I had to use my irons during a skill builder once. My battery died mid exercise. Which is good practice because to instinctively flip up the irons is good practice.

drck1000

« Reply #135 on: September 29, 2021, 12:01:28 PM »
What are those irons you are referring to?  Is that some antique technology.

All jokes aside, since 2016, I had to use my irons during a skill builder once. My battery died mid exercise. Which is good practice because to instinctively flip up the irons is good practice.
Them old fangled technology.

All of my guns with RDS have iron sights.  My preferred is fixed front and folding rear.  I have had some with fixed rear as well.  I mean I can just shoot those guns while the dot is turned off, but I have a "slicker" setup with only irons on the gun. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #136 on: September 29, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »
Them old fangled technology.

All of my guns with RDS have iron sights.  My preferred is fixed front and folding rear.  I have had some with fixed rear as well.  I mean I can just shoot those guns while the dot is turned off, but I have a "slicker" setup with only irons on the gun.

Depending on the gun, irons is enough. If I were to get an AK, I would only run irons. Looks funny with an optic.

stangzilla

« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2021, 12:20:21 PM »
Personally, I only have 1 rifle. And I run the SIG Romeo5 because

1) Auto on and off. So no need worry about turning on or leaving on and battery dies in 6 months.
2) My home is 500 sq ft. So a LVPO would get in the way.  It can be learned to acquire in CQB, but a RDS is easier IMO. Also I have no yard. Living on a 3 acre home might benefit more with a LVPO.
3) For the above, I am confident I can engage at 100yards no problem with the RDS. But in reality, max distance would be 10 yards.  Any more and "belief of fear of danger" would be harder to articulate. Unless there's a movie style hotel hallway gun fight or Red Dawn type invasion.  So 10 yards is more than sufficient.
4) The skill builders I have done so far have a max range of 40 yards. Which I can hit an index card with no issues under time.
5) The Romeo5 is cheap compared to other similar type RDS or holographic sights.  I can't imagine myself spending $1200 on an ACOG, on my cheap Smith and Wesson M&P15.

But to each their own. Buy what makes you happy and fits your needs.  And buy once, cry once. I'm learning this more and more as the years go on.

those are all great points for the Sig Romeo5.  i see a lot of people like them for the same reasons you gave. and i agree that our civilian defensive shooting range will be up close
my friend did mention the Romeo 5 as one of his options, but lately he's been gravitating toward the Holosun with magnifier, but a red dot is still a good option.  or might put the red dot on the pistol caliber carbine.  still weighing options
I'll probably talk to him today more about it

drck1000

« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2021, 12:22:24 PM »
Depending on the gun, irons is enough. If I were to get an AK, I would only run irons. Looks funny with an optic.
Looks > function/utility. . .

#believe

aieahound

« Reply #139 on: September 29, 2021, 12:26:08 PM »
I suck with irons except at pellet gun distances.
I suck with RDS. For real accuracy anyway.
I run 2-7Xs on my ARs except my daughters which has a 4-12X and is a basically a bench gun.
One 2-7 is illuminated with a dot in the crosshairs reticle. Love that reticle.
I figure if I’m using my AR for home defense in my small house, it’s essentially point shooting. 10 yards. Angle of man.
If SHTF I’ve ranged my street out 100 yards and I need optics. (I know where the 100 yard markers are.)
I do have back up irons and a carry handle for my AR though just in case.
Most have fixed front sight base.

At least I know my limitations.
Which are many.   :D