Hurricane Season 2018 (Read 47580 times)

Inspector

Re: Hurricane Season 2018
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 10:46:17 AM »
My list of things to do before it hits:

1. All items in backyard to be moved inside and/or into garage to keep things from blowing around due to high winds.
2. Move my 3 trash cans into garage.
3. Fill up one of my trash cans with water and fill my bathtub with water for emergency toilet flushing if necessary.

All other preps have been done and supplies are current. I suggest to all of you if you have not already updated all of your supplies, that you do it today rather than tomorrow as there are usually huge crowds the closer to the event that we get and sometimes important items are out of stock.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

hvybarrels

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2018, 10:49:55 AM »
Costco Hawaii Kai is nuts. Lines of traffic down the road. Cat feeder parking lot across the street is packed with people literally running to the store. Cop out front to keep the peace. Lemming factor 10,000,000
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Inspector

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »
Costco Hawaii Kai is nuts. Lines of traffic down the road. Cat feeder parking lot across the street is packed with people literally running to the store. Cop out front to keep the peace. Lemming factor 10,000,000
Well I am sure that this is happening every where across the island then. Might be too late for those who work to get to the stores before this storm hits. I remember the first few months I was on island and some big winds knocked down a bunch of power poles and trees I was completely unprepared. I went out to the stores right before and right after the damage was done and basically I was out for hours dealing with crowds, standing in long lines and not getting even half of what I needed. Now I keep my food and water and supplies up-to-date constantly so I don’t have to deal with all that shit. What is interesting is that the “Hurricane Watch” is currently for Hawaii and Maui counties only. So far no warning for Honolulu County.

Lemming factor? I think you are a little low.  :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

zippz

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 12:04:19 PM »
The watch means the hurricane will hit within 48 hours so honolulu will get it a bit later.

Hope the storm loses power.  Its supposed to be slowing down now instead of getting stronger.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

2ahavvaii

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 12:05:39 PM »
not sure why the media downplayed the risk as much as they did.  we knew as early as sunday/monday that it would take a similar trajectory as iniki.

I was out buying extra supplies to batten down the hatches for my employer.  stores are a madhouse. 

I would not go to costco for supplies, they are likely to be out of stock considering they sell in bulk and the sheer amount of customers. I heard town costco is out of water, and wont get their next shipment until thursday. If you really need emergency supplies, I would look to some of the other hardware stores and probably walmart.  Those stores do bring in a lot of water and have other supplies as well.  Also, I would buy NOW if you can while people are at work.  By tonight, people will be in full panic mode.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2018, 12:09:22 PM »
The watch means the hurricane will hit within 48 hours so honolulu will get it a bit later.

Hope the storm loses power.  Its supposed to be slowing down now instead of getting stronger.
it was supposed to lose power earlier on, but didn't. Instead it gained strength to almost category 5.

Best case scenario is probably that it weakens to cat 1, then swings leftwards below the islands.

In conference with HIEMA today, their forecasts raised the probability of a tropical storm powered strike on west big island to 75%, up from 40% yesterday.

The closer the hurricane gets on this trajectory, the lower the chances of it missing us.  It seems like the probably of a direct strike on either oahu or kauai is going way up.  The outer islands had better pray that oahu doesn't take a major hit. During iniki, much of the support to kauai came directly from oahu.  If Oahu's port gets shut down, ALL the islands are going to suffer since virtually all of the cargo is routed through our harbor.  In a major strike, it will take weeks to clear the harbor for shipping to start up again.  Hawaii didn't invest in the equipment necessary for that type of operation.  it needs to be barged from the mainland.

If kauai takes a hard strike, those stupid hippies are going to wish we still still had the superferry available.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:16:21 PM by 2ahavvaii »

drck1000

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
Seems like many got lulled into a sense of "it will steer clear again", especially with Hector basically causing many days of hot and humid weather. 

I would think most here are pretty well prepared most of the year.  I don't really need much, but am somewhat concerned about other family members due to their medical needs, particularly if the power goes off for an extended period of time.  For me, all I really need to do is fill up some water bottles that I almost always have around and leave them on the counter (usual deal).  My tub is actually currently filled with a bunch of stuff since I had my flooring replaced over the weekend, but easy to clear those items out. 

London808

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2018, 02:27:38 PM »
Previous predictions showed it turning west below the islands and had a 4-5 day prediction cone.

The new one got rid of the 4-5 prediction and just stops at the 3 day.

"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

drck1000

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2018, 02:36:39 PM »
Previous predictions showed it turning west below the islands and had a 4-5 day prediction cone.

That one brings it closer to Oahu that the ones that I've seen and a little later on Friday morning. 

2ahavvaii

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2018, 02:44:51 PM »

They probably got rid of the 4-5 projection because it might lead people into a false sense of security.  The old "sideswipe" predictions are still a hurricane force/tropical storm force wind strike on the islands.  And remember that the prediction can be anywhere within the white area.  Oahu is definitely within the 3 day projection on both the old map and the new map.  As the hurricane gets closer, the chances of it missing the main hawaii islands decreases quickly. 

Also remember that eye doesn't need to pass over the island to cause  problems.  The hurricane is huge.  You guys remember tropical storm Darby, which didn't even hit oahu, but caused devastation, power outages and flooding.   
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:58:56 PM by 2ahavvaii »

shdws

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2018, 02:47:49 PM »
Went to city mill for supplies, definitely busier than usual but it was not a madhouse like Costco/Sams/Walmart reports have been.  The propane line was getting long though.

shdws

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2018, 02:49:16 PM »
If kauai takes a hard strike, those stupid hippies are going to wish we still still had the superferry available.
:rofl:

newguy86

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2018, 02:52:14 PM »
Just came home from walmart downtown at 12 noon time, No more 5 gal water bottles, flashlights, camping gear, i am always ready, but cant beat the prices of Twinkies, got myself chocolate, banana, and cotton candy ones!

drck1000

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2018, 03:13:12 PM »

Did you have the setting for "Forecast Length" on "Full Forecast" or "3 days"?

I think "3 days" is default when you get onto the NOAA site.  That said, when I tried looking, the graphic that I pull up is from this past Saturday.  I should walk over to the Joint Typhoon Warning Center.  Their offices are a few buildings away. . .

ETA: Nevermind.  I found where you got that 3-day graphic.  That one doesn't have the forecast length option, but that is the latest update that I could find (2 pm HST). 

ETA2: There is an option.  On the link below, you can select the 3-day or 5-day (with line or no line).

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tcpages/?product=5day_cone_with_line&stormid=EP142018
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:18:17 PM by drck1000 »

oldfart

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2018, 03:46:00 PM »
Went to don Quixote this morning. Only had senior citizens shopping. :thumbsup:
Checklist...
Flashlights
Generator
Gas
Water
Mre
Whiskey
Cigars
What, Me Worry?

Tom_G

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2018, 05:44:33 PM »
Looks like I'll be riding this one out on AA and AAA batteries. Didn't get my act together on the solar recharge thingy in time. Still, a Costco pack of batteries should get me through a goodly period of time. I do wish I had a few battery-powered fans, though!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Lihikai

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2018, 06:49:14 PM »
The Lowes in town isn't that busy and they have lots of 5500w generac brand generators.

hvybarrels

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2018, 08:32:47 PM »
Stopped by the gas station on the way home because car was on E and the place was packed. People were cutting each other off for a stall. Then they would put a squirt to top it off and drive away. One guy had two brand new jerry cans and a genny still in the box in the back of his mini suv. All the big bottles of water were sold out. This is getting ridiculous.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

London808

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2018, 08:36:27 PM »
6pm update,
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

zippz

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2018, 08:45:54 PM »
According to the forecasts Lane should be a Cat 1 when it reaches Oahu.  Wind is still a serious threat, but massive flooding will probably cause the most damage.

Be prepared for the water too.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu