Survival just means breaking even ! (Read 22156 times)

Rocky

Survival just means breaking even !
« on: November 15, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »
   As a Prepper, it’s not the Zombie Apocalypse, Collapse of the Economy, or even Alien Invaders I fear, not even Broke Alien Zombies !
It’s something more natural, plausible and most likely to occur.
   Who cannot help but to think what our situation here in Hawaii would be should a decent sized Tsunami or Hurricane hit the islands (again).
   Worst case scenario in my eyes is the Big island drift drop with Tsunami (arriving Oahu in 10-12 minutes) wiping out Honolulu, including seaport and airport.

I know I don’t want to be on the Governments Fema Vacation Plan !   :wacko:

With that in mind, here are my preps.

#1 is water.

Our BOB’s each contain a Seychelle 28-ounce Water Filtration Bottle
This filtration bottle removes up to 99.99 percent of pollutants and contaminants found in water. Produces up to 100 gallons of filtered water.
$16.00
http://www.seychelle.com/
   We also each have a 2 litre bottle of store bought.
I have considered downsizing this 50% due to weight.

At home and at our BOL, we have Monolithic brand water filters.
Build a Berkey for about $20.00 plus containers.
I splurged for two new 5 gallon buckets w/lids (another $20.00) but you could mount these puppies on 55 gal bbls if you wanted
http://shop.monolithic.com/

Here’s a real interesting page from the inside of Katrina.
Undoubtedly some of THE BEST prepper info I’ve ever read because it’s written after the fact, from personal LOSS experience !

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/0007.html   :thumbsup:

# 2 is Food.
In the movies, you always see the cowboys eating beans so I thought that I should have plenty as my main staple.
WRONG.
Though man does not live by bread alone, wheat(s) are the most important food staple you need.
Almost 5 times more than beans and 1-1/2 times more than fruits and veggies.
These include wheat , rice, corn, pasta's and oats

I tend to stock up from the LDS cannery in Kalihi. Great place, nice folks and you don't have to change your beliefs to shop there.    :worship:
( I think their idea is if you're already prepared, you won't need to  try and take mine).
Wish I would have known about this place when i was raising my kids as I would have saved a bundle !
The prices are great averaging about a $1.00 a lb overall on most items.    :o
Red and White wheat, pinto, black, and refried beans, dried milk, onoins, carrots, sugar, oats, pasta, rice flour and more.
Buy in bulk along with their Mylar bags and Oxy absorbers and package your own or get the pre-packed #10 cans.
Pre-packed or DIY, shelf life ranges 10-30 yrs for most items.Order form attached but prices may differ slightly (old form).

On a side note, Unless you're ahead of the game and already have been on a "Healthy diet" your body is already acclimated to processed foods BIG TIME !
DO NOT   try to bake bread solely out of hard red wheat ! It will make a weeks worth of MRE's seem like a laxative.  :shake:
Naturally a grinder is required to flour out of the wheat berries
I still grind flour  3-1 white to red wheat.
Then of course is the stash of canned fish, meats, vegetables, mushrooms, spices and honey bought bulk from Costco and rotated faithfully through our pantry.

On the other end of the scale is the "emergency" and freeze dried foods which have a pretty good shelf life for most products but  I find them rather expensive.
Doesn't mean I don't have any,  just that  they are truly stashed and not rotated into our diet.

One I will promote is the SOS Foods.  :thumbsup:
Basic info below, prices may vary upon provider.
400, 2400 OR 3600 Calorie Emergency Food Bars
The SOS Emergency Food Rations are US Coast Guard approved and have a shelf life of 5 years from the date of manufacture and can withstand temperatures from -22°F to 149°F.
Non-thirst provoking formula offers maximum survival capacity with drinking water restriction under all environmental conditions.
2400 cal $3.95 ea- $139.00 CASE OF 40    $3.47 ea
3600 cal $5.95 ea  $105.00 CASE OF 20   $54.5 ea
New Millennium Energy Bar - fruity flavors such as orange, lemon, cherry, apricot, tropical fruit, blueberry, coconut, raspberry and vanilla.
200 cal $1.25  CASE OF 144 $149.00
Got the calories, enviromentally stable, fair shelf life, water not necessary, light, compact, packeged air tight and water proof, not expensive and they don't taste that bad.
Regular ones taste kinda like short bread and the millenium flavors don't gag you with sweetness.
I keep these guys at home, in our vehicles, BOB's and BOL.

I'm going to jump into another topic intended for later entitled reading and education but I think the following is so important, it should be divulged asap.
LDS also has a "Prep Manual" out that is packed with awesome and pertinant info.

https://www.ldsavow.com/PrepManualGeneral.html    :love:
So much to do with food choices, amounts, storage, shelf life, canning, cooking, dietary information etc....  it's mind boggling
The first 14 pages are pretty much faith oriented with a peppering of the same for the next 15 informative pages.
The last 10 pages are of a personal view by the author.
The other 460 pages is some of THE BEST prepper info I've come across since my personal favorite, "Listening to Katrina".
http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/0007.html

Happy to share, more to come, open to suggestion.

Semper paratu, in orbe terrum non visi
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 02:44:48 PM by Rocky »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

Re: Survival just means breaking even !
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »
KALIHI LDS CANNERY NO LONGER DOING BULK SALES OR CANNING ! :wtf: :closed:
Some items still available in #10 cans but only about half of what they used to do.
This affects 90% of all LDS food storage outlets.
Thank you Big Brother !  :shake:

Utah and I thinik Oregon still doing bulk.
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

jrka101

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 10:01:41 AM »
Thanks for the info and the update.

Rocky

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 12:28:06 PM »
New Water filter worth checking out.
Compact, efficient, 100,00 gallons in the palm of your hand.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FA2RLX2/?tag=2ahawaii-20

The Sawyer Mini is ideal for outdoor recreation, hiking, camping, scouting, domestic and international travel, and emergency preparedness.

This high performance Mini filter fits in the palm of your hand, weighs 2 ounces, and filters up to 100,000 gallons (30 times more than comparable filters).

It attaches to the included drinking pouch, standard disposable water bottles; hydration packs, or use the straw to drink directly from your water source.

The Sawyer Mini Water Filter is a second generation filter that is the lightest and most versatile personal filtration system from Sawyer. With a total field weight of 2 ounces it fits in the palm of your hand. This tiny filter does the same job that the Sawyer PointONE filter does but now in a more compact, personal size.

Filtering up to 100,000 gallons of water, this may be the last water filter that you buy. The Sawyer Mini filter is perfect for everything from camping with the kids to traveling abroad where tap and bottle water cannot be trusted.

The filter removes 7 log (99.99999%) of all bacteria (like salmonella) as well as other harmful bacteria which causes cholera, and E. coli, and 6 log (99.9999%) of all protozoa such as giardia and cryptosporidium. These removal rates equal or exceed other filter options. EPA guidelines allow ten times more protozoa left in the water than Sawyer PointONE filters allow.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 12:33:25 PM »
I have a Sawyer PointTwo system, that I haven't used yet. Those filters get great reviews and the one you linked is at a great price point.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

macsak

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 12:36:14 PM »
Mahalo, rock
Added to my amzn shopping cart
Funny, though a two pack is more expensive than buying a single pack twice

Rocky

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »
Yeah, that was just the best single price I could find.
Everyone else wanted $25 for one plus Amazon "got free shipping"
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 12:45:03 PM »
also left a abit more of advice on "where not to be when disaster strikes..
If you are serious about preparedness, I recommmend checking out

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/0007.html

Best info I've EVER gotten.  :thumbsup:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Q

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 05:12:31 PM »
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:11:21 AM by Q »

Rocky

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 11:02:27 AM »
Mahalo, rock
Added to my amzn shopping cart
Funny, though a two pack is more expensive than buying a single pack twice

I just ordered a pair, but 2 orders of 1 each to save the $6.00
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

macsak

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 11:04:07 AM »
I just ordered a pair, but 2 orders of 1 each to save the $6.00

great minds think alike
 8) 8) 8)

Rocky

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »
quote author=Q link=topic=12053.msg126449#msg126449 date=1390878751]
This is what I use for water filtration:

SELF CONTAINED UNITS WITH 0.1 MICRON FILTERS PROVIDE WATER IMMEDIATELY WITH NO BOILING OR ADDITION OF CHEMICALS.
NEWEST FAVORITE
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FA2RLX2/?tag=2ahawaii-20[/b]  :thumbsup:

LONGTERM SURVIVAL FOOD STORAGE PROTOCOL HAVE WHEATS/GRAINS AT TOP OF THE LIST IN GREATER QUANTITY[

FATS, ACIDICS AND OILS DO NOT STORE WELL.
I STOCK BEGA CHEESE AND RED FEATHER BUTTER AND CHEESE

BEWARE THE FoodSaver. BAGS PUNCTURE EASILY, ARE SUBJECT TO HEAT AND RODENTS AND FAIL AFTER TIME.
MYLAR W/ O2 AND OR SILICA IS THE WAY TO GO.

CANNED TUNA AND CLAMS WILL GIVE YOU 11g OF PROTEIN, PINK SALMON 13g, SMOKED CLAMS 17g.
SPAM HAS 7g, CORNED BEEF, CHICKEN AND MUTTON 13g, KEYSTONE GROUND BEEF 17g.
Corned Beef HASH HAS 26g.
2 TABLESPOONS PEANUT BUTTER HAS 7g, 1oz CASHEWS HAS 5g.[
One important thing that many people seem to forget is chocolate. Rather than nutrition, chocolate has been used for centuries as a morale booster in desperate times or after a hard day of work/fighting.
[/quote]
AND IT KEEPS MOMMA HAPPY !
HONEY IS ALSO A GOOD MORAL STASH AND LASTS FOREVER
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:49:59 PM by Rocky »
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Q

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 12:41:11 PM »
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:11:51 AM by Q »

macsak

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 12:46:56 PM »
There is no water filtration system that can safely be operated and remove all pathogens without thermally or chemically purifying the water, especially over long periods of time. All water filtration systems are based on carbon filters, which absorb chemicals and minerals out of the water, but not pathogens. If you are in a pinch and have no other choice, then finding a reliable water source and using only a water filter is justified, but if you have the ability to do so, you should purify the water via thermal or chemical process.

Another thing about carbon filters is that after a period of time, or if water remains present in the device, it will naturally attract and store chemicals, minerals and pathogens until the carbon will no longer absorb anything, in which case it will render the filter useless. The design allows one to easily replace filter material when needed, and natural sources of carbon can be created if the supply of the filter material is depleted.

Any modern day survival food, or what has proven to work for centuries? Native Americans primary source of calories came in the form of dehydrated meat and pemmican, as well as many of the other nomadic cultures from around the world, to include the Mongols, Huns and Germanic Tribes. The prime example that many people go to to justify the storage of grains is the Roman Empire, which they claim the majority of the Roman soldiers primarily ate bread. Where they went wrong is that bread is actually a luxury item, and did not store well over long campaigns. Roman soldiers actually ate dehydrated, cured meats similar to salami because it was easy to store, easy to transport and provided a surplus of calories.

Modern day survival food is based off current FDA standards on food, which have already been proven to be incorrect. And if made, dehydrated meats and food sources like pemmican can be kept for longer periods of time, if not indefinitely, without the need for the special storage requirements that grains and cereals demand.

Pemmican is essentially pure fat; beef jerky, while stripped of most of its fat, still has fat present in the form of the oil residue that is left after dehydration. Traditional forms of pemmican contain little or no forms of carbohydrates, as is evident with the style of pemmican made by the Inuit Indians, and could be kept for several weeks/months/years.

The focus isn't on protein content; it is on fat content, which provides the most caloric density per part of food and allows the body to function optimally. Even further, if given the choice it is better to focus on the quality and type of fats provided by food sources, as certain types of fats provide more nutritional value and physiological benefit than others.

But if the focus is still on survival and long term sustainability through canned goods, I would rather have a mix of high quality fat sources that provide a balanced EPA DHA omega-3 source. like canned or dried fish, as well as general high fat items for general caloric density, like spam or corned beef. The body can and does function optimally when carbohydrate intake is only enough to resupply the depletion of glycogen in muscles and glucose levels in the brain, where the remainder of energy used by the body comes primarily from fat, as well as having enough protein to maintain muscle function and repair.

ok, but what about all the sodium?
esp in corned beef and spam (and commercial jerky)?
i know that sodium is important, but wouldn't high amounts cause you to drink more water, taxing an already limited supply
not a criticism of your plan, but an honest question

Darmok and Jalad @Tanagra

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 12:50:33 PM »
ok, but what about all the sodium?
esp in corned beef and spam (and commercial jerky)?
i know that sodium is important, but wouldn't high amounts cause you to drink more water, taxing an already limited supply
not a criticism of your plan, but an honest question

Depends on the situation.  Dehydration is often more of a problem than starvation.  Not from lack of water, but from lack of ability to consume enough water often enough.  In the Texas Summer, it gets really hot!  After drinking 2 quarts of water every single hour, I was still dehydrated.  We had 2 MREs for the day, but the dehydration headaches were not pleasant.

If water is scarce, then conservation overrules constant hydration.
"... the right to be let alone -- the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men."
--Justice Louis D. Brandeis

macsak

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
Depends on the situation.  Dehydration is often more of a problem than starvation.  Not from lack of water, but from lack of ability to consume enough water often enough.  In the Texas Summer, it gets really hot!  After drinking 2 quarts of water every single hour, I was still dehydrated.  We had 2 MREs for the day, but the dehydration headaches were not pleasant.

If water is scarce, then conservation overrules constant hydration.

wow, lots of sodium in an MRE too

Q

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 12:53:30 PM »
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:12:56 AM by Q »

Rocky

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 01:08:20 PM »
`
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:46:58 PM by Rocky »
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 01:10:11 PM »
Flushing sodium will be the least of their problems if they don't want to work, now or later  :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:51:11 PM by Rocky »
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 01:13:42 PM »
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:46:40 PM by Rocky »
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt