Bolt Action 22 Recommendations (Read 5242 times)

pewpewgoesthegun

Re: Bolt Action 22 Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2021, 08:36:38 PM »
Dang, lot of replies, mahalo everyone! Funny, I've been looking between the Savage, CZ and Ruger. The cheapskate in me was thinking the CZ 457 & Ruger Precision were a little high for what I'm wanting to spend on it (seeing $500+), but I'm reading they're reliable and consistent.

I would say buy once, cry once.

What do you want to get out of the 22?  Like tac driver, silly side shooting, just cause ammo's cheap, etc...

If you're looking for a tac driver, then the RPRR is a very affordable one.  $400ish vs. a $1K+ KIDD 22. (Precovid prices).  I've seen a guy with the magpul 22 takedown and his grouping at 50yards was like a shotgun.  Had holes all over the 10 inch target while bench shooting.

I don't disagree with the buy once, cry once mindset. However, I just want to get my feet wet with bolt actions, so I don't want to buy one, not like it and have to get rid of it. If I do end up liking it, I'd probably get one in a larger caliber. I'm looking for more of a fun/test gun instead of a tac driver at the moment. Something like this - cheap and comes with a scope:

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=98727&utm_source=gun.deals&utm_medium=Product%20Feed&avad=211021_d22383f35

pewpewgoesthegun

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2021, 08:47:04 PM »
Savage, Ruger, CZ.
Can’t really lose with any of them unless you get the rare “bad” one.
Never shot a CZ but the reputation is what it is.
Savage and Ruger both shot beautifully.
Savage plastic stocks have a low cheek weld, I prefer the wood on the savages. (Got 3 of them - 22lr and 17 hmr)
Happy hunting and enjoy the silhouette side.  :shaka:

Edit:
 :rofl:
See comment below.
Dammit....you caught that Mac... :wave:

Hmm, didn't take the low cheek weld into consideration...thanks  :shaka:

I have the factory cerakote 16” American rimfire .22LR and I really like it. It uses the same magazines as my 10/22 takedown.

It’s model 8376.

They have all sorts of nice 18” models, like stainless and camo also.

Was looking at the 8334, nice to hear that it can use 10/22 mags.

Glasser

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2021, 06:20:33 AM »
Join HRA?

https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubDisplay&club=1504

Pretty sure I am  a dues paid current member. Guess I need to figure out who to reach out to to get a letter.

changemyoil66

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2021, 09:21:56 AM »
Dang, lot of replies, mahalo everyone! Funny, I've been looking between the Savage, CZ and Ruger. The cheapskate in me was thinking the CZ 457 & Ruger Precision were a little high for what I'm wanting to spend on it (seeing $500+), but I'm reading they're reliable and consistent.

I don't disagree with the buy once, cry once mindset. However, I just want to get my feet wet with bolt actions, so I don't want to buy one, not like it and have to get rid of it. If I do end up liking it, I'd probably get one in a larger caliber. I'm looking for more of a fun/test gun instead of a tac driver at the moment. Something like this - cheap and comes with a scope:

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=98727&utm_source=gun.deals&utm_medium=Product%20Feed&avad=211021_d22383f35

In that case, you can buy any 10/22 under $400 and be OK. I remember seeing a ruger for about $250 (precovid) in Vegas that had a cheap scope on it.

drck1000

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2021, 09:28:02 AM »

Depends on what your interests/goals are.  Mine are generally as a plinker and fun gun to shoot, with a trainer aspect.  Some shooting buddies are more into the 22 precision and NRL aspect.  As much as I am into centerfire bolt guns and loading, they keep telling me that the .22 lr market is way more "dangerous".  When I was researching bolt gun chassis, I came across a bunch of YTers with the same chassis that I am thinking about for centerfire for  .22 lr action.  Same for scopes.  One guy had a ZC scope on his .22 lr, which was better glass than on his 6mm bolt guns.   :o

ren

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2021, 09:30:10 AM »
someone here has a very expensive Remington 40x converted into an M40.
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2021, 09:52:48 AM »
Depends on what your interests/goals are.  Mine are generally as a plinker and fun gun to shoot, with a trainer aspect.  Some shooting buddies are more into the 22 precision and NRL aspect.  As much as I am into centerfire bolt guns and loading, they keep telling me that the .22 lr market is way more "dangerous".  When I was researching bolt gun chassis, I came across a bunch of YTers with the same chassis that I am thinking about for centerfire for  .22 lr action.  Same for scopes.  One guy had a ZC scope on his .22 lr, which was better glass than on his 6mm bolt guns.   :o

The scope on my 22 cost more than the rifle.  But I got it for free from my uncle.  Rifle $400ish. Scope $700 back in early 2000s from Young Guns (had the receipt in the box).

pewpewgoesthegun

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2021, 10:03:50 AM »
In that case, you can buy any 10/22 under $400 and be OK. I remember seeing a ruger for about $250 (precovid) in Vegas that had a cheap scope on it.

Yeah, looking at the Ruger American. I have a 15-22 so no interest in a 10/22 at the moment.

Just looking for a cheaper bolt action for plinking. Don't envision modding it in the near future, so totally fine with an entry level one.

aieahound

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2021, 10:09:59 AM »
See if you can check out the savage mkii BV.

https://www.guncritic.com/product/savage-arms-mark-ii/savage-arms-mark-ii-bv-22-lr-bolt-action-rifle

My daughter and I love it.
One of the firearms on our do not sell list.

However, we did pick up a dedicated PSA .22 upper that’s becoming another Fam Fave.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2021, 10:16:27 AM »
Pretty sure I am  a dues paid current member. Guess I need to figure out who to reach out to to get a letter.

A letter?  You should have a membership card you can copy to show you're a member.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2021, 10:20:23 AM »

10/22 =/= bolt action

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Glasser

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2021, 10:33:36 AM »

IMO a good quality .22 LR bolt gun is probably one of the best investments you can make.

1) you don't chew thru a box of ammo as fast because you are cycling a bolt, that extra bit of work tends to make me focus a LOT more to make a shot 'count'. That slower tempo makes range days more enjoyable, you look around at the beauty of the crater, talk to bench neighbors more, you can camp a bench for a good long while and really enjoy the day.

2) it's fun as he'll with a high childhood nostalgia factor. BB / pellet guns and .22LRs are usually your first introduction to the culture/ sport. I giggle like a kid when it get one of those Itty bitty bullets to go really far and hit where it is supposed to. Everything seems to get a lot more serious and a little less 'fun' when shooting bigger more expensive calibers. Also I often warm up with .22 to get a groove going before unboxing a bigger rifle at the bench.

3) a serious Bench Rest shooters advice to me about becoming a better rifle Marksman was 'Shoot a LOT of .22LR ammo, all the same factors that go into long range shooting are there, bullet drop, windage, but  are more exaggerated in a smaller distance. You won't learn about ballistics and scope doping firing flat shooting calibers at ranges that only go out to 100 yrds like Kokohead'.

I won't tell someone else how to spend their money, but I have no buyers remorse investing in a tack driving 22, it's my most fired rifle by a 20 fold round count. I will certainly get all my money back out of it.

pewpewgoesthegun

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2021, 11:10:14 AM »
IMO a good quality .22 LR bolt gun is probably one of the best investments you can make.

1) you don't chew thru a box of ammo as fast because you are cycling a bolt, that extra bit of work tends to make me focus a LOT more to make a shot 'count'. That slower tempo makes range days more enjoyable, you look around at the beauty of the crater, talk to bench neighbors more, you can camp a bench for a good long while and really enjoy the day.

2) it's fun as he'll with a high childhood nostalgia factor. BB / pellet guns and .22LRs are usually your first introduction to the culture/ sport. I giggle like a kid when it get one of those Itty bitty bullets to go really far and hit its where it is supposed to. Everything seems to get a lot more serious and a little less 'fun' when shooting bigger more expensive calibers. Also I often warm up with .22 to get a groove going before unboxing a bigger rifle at the bench.

3) a serious Bench Rest shooters advice to me about becoming a better rifle Marksman was 'Shoot a LOT of .22LR ammo, all the same factors that go into long range shooting are there, bullet drop, windage, but  are more exaggerated in a smaller distance. You won't learn about ballistics and scope doping firing flat shooting calibers at ranges that only go out to 100 yrds like Kokohead'.

I won't tell someone else how to spend their money, but I have no buyers remorse investing in a tack driving 22, it's my most fired rifle by a 20 fold round count. I will certainly get all my money back out of it.

That's true, I've shot a lot more out of my 22s than their bigger brothers...like you said, it's more fun (and cheaper). I guess it all depends what these rifles offer. If something cheaper like a MkII or Ruger American is a solid rifle, that's good enough for me honestly.

Good point on using 22s to learn about windage/elevation though, this gun should be a good tool to practice with.

See if you can check out the savage mkii BV.

https://www.guncritic.com/product/savage-arms-mark-ii/savage-arms-mark-ii-bv-22-lr-bolt-action-rifle

My daughter and I love it.
One of the firearms on our do not sell list.

However, we did pick up a dedicated PSA .22 upper that’s becoming another Fam Fave.

That's good to hear, I'll look into that, thanks!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 02:19:18 PM by pewpewgoesthegun »

oldfart

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2021, 11:14:03 AM »
pewpew-
any of the recommended rifles will serve you well

As it is with most things in life, "It's not the tool, it's the fool behind the tool"
 :D
What, Me Worry?

Glasser

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2021, 11:25:10 AM »
Probably not a bad idea to be budget conscious on the rifle because next you'll need a .22LR Pistol to continue on the fun times carnival games train and those things do need an extra hundred or two dollars to really dial in for maximum fun.

But maybe that's just me.

pewpewgoesthegun

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2021, 11:38:31 AM »
pewpew-
any of the recommended rifles will serve you well

As it is with most things in life, "It's not the tool, it's the fool behind the tool"
 :D

Agree 100%  :shaka:

Probably not a bad idea to be budget conscious on the rifle because next you'll need a .22LR Pistol to continue on the fun times carnival games train and those things do need an extra hundred or two dollars to really dial in for maximum fun.

But maybe that's just me.

Luckily I have my 22 pistol already, but I'm also looking into the possibly of getting a 9mm. I moved that down the priority list since the 22 bolt action is cheaper and I have a ammo for it  ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2021, 11:48:26 AM »
10/22 =/= bolt action

Good to know. Thanks. I'm still new to the 22 game.

changemyoil66

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2021, 11:52:08 AM »

2) it's fun as he'll with a high childhood nostalgia factor. BB / pellet guns and .22LRs are usually your first introduction to the culture/ sport. I giggle like a kid when it get one of those Itty bitty bullets to go really far and hit where it is supposed to. Everything seems to get a lot more serious and a little less 'fun' when shooting bigger more expensive calibers. Also I often warm up with .22 to get a groove going before unboxing a bigger rifle at the bench.

1 time at the silly side, someone left the boar out. Probably about 200+ yards.  I was able to hit it with my RPRR on the 1st shot. I held high to the last mil dot on my scope that is zero'd to 50.  At 100yrds, I'm holding 2 mil dots high.

The only down side to your #1 response was when HDF had a 22 skill builder.  My bolt action was significantly slower when engaging multiple targets.  Others were running semi auto 22s.

Influence

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2021, 12:06:37 PM »
I have a CZ 457 Varmint and love it.  Put it in a Boyd’s at one thumbhole stock but haven’t shot it with that yet.

ren

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2021, 12:25:06 PM »
PCP Benji Disco .22 cal. No need pay HAZMAT when buying ammo. Amazon sell too :thumbsup:
Deeds Not Words