Knives - What Are Your Preferences? (Read 124609 times)

jaynick

Re: Knives - What Are Your Preferences?
« Reply #440 on: January 14, 2020, 07:16:01 PM »
I was google searching the difference and found this quote (sorry no citation)
"20CV is a Latrobes version of Bohlers M390"
[/quote
Com 20cv
Bohler m390
Carpenter cts204p
All basically the same. It's 3 companies trying to achieve the same thing. Kind of like going to a fancy bar and having 3 good bartenders make you the same cocktail. There will be tiny variables in amounts of liquid and technique on shaking it etc. M390 is german imported so it's most expensive.

jaynick

« Reply #441 on: January 14, 2020, 07:27:26 PM »
https://www.knifecenter.com/brand/101/kershaw-knives/new

new Kershaw's for 2020.  a few good ones:  Link in CPM20CV, Bareknuckle in CPM20CV (but I don't recommend this one bc it can be difficult to open bc of its design), and they have a balisong in Sandvik 14C28N

new ZT
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/ZT0308/zero-tolerance-0308-flipper-knife-cpm-20cv-stonewashed-blade-coyote-tan-g10-and-titanium-handles
The 20c v link and d2 camp5 are slick deals. I'm getting the balisong for sure. $120 street!
That zt is kinda overpriced for an in house design. I'll wait for the tigerstripe or c.f. Sprint run if anything.

jaynick

« Reply #442 on: January 14, 2020, 07:49:16 PM »
anyone use a Mora knife?
recommendations?
or alternative?
Mora is awesome. buy multiples. The high value models often go on sale for $8-15 on amazon. I suggest skipping over the 511 model and get a classic,companion,craftline, or 2000. They also make unique stuff like a floating knife with cork handles and my personal favorite, a chisel/knife for diy work.
I'm not a fan of the newer handle design on the kansbol and eldris. The outdoor models over $40 arent worth it imo. $50-60 is ontario rat 3-5 full tang territory.

macsak

« Reply #443 on: January 14, 2020, 09:00:45 PM »
Mora is awesome. buy multiples. The high value models often go on sale for $8-15 on amazon. I suggest skipping over the 511 model and get a classic,companion,craftline, or 2000. They also make unique stuff like a floating knife with cork handles and my personal favorite, a chisel/knife for diy work.
I'm not a fan of the newer handle design on the kansbol and eldris. The outdoor models over $40 arent worth it imo. $50-60 is ontario rat 3-5 full tang territory.

mahalo for the last 3 answers, jaynick
 :shaka:

drck1000

« Reply #444 on: January 14, 2020, 09:11:35 PM »
Agree on Moras. I have a bunch for various uses. Decent quality and great pricing. Compact and useful fixed knife.

macsak

« Reply #445 on: January 14, 2020, 09:32:02 PM »
mahalo for the last 3 answers, jaynick
 :shaka:

oh, and my questions were "asking for a friend" since I own no firearms, ammo, reloading components, body armor, nor knives

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #446 on: January 22, 2020, 05:26:23 PM »
I've been using the Mora classic craftsman 601 for my field work with the university, farm, whatever outdoors and it was quite nice with the exception that I had to wrap the handle with anti-slip tape and buy a more secure sheath for it. It was nice an lightweight, sharp even though I had to keep it oiled because it's carbon steel.
Then I got myself a stainless mora garberg which is a beast, a usable one and I really like it.

Puukkos are very nice. The moras kicked me off to go window shopping for more. I want one made with stacked birch bark handles.

I've moved away from bigger knives like the gerber strongarm because they were cumbersome, heavy, and not good at finer tasks.

drck1000

« Reply #447 on: March 27, 2020, 12:53:49 PM »
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/ZT0357BW

Came in today.  This was on my interest list from when it was released, so when I saw the price drop I couldn't resist. 

First impressions is that lower price range was the goal for this one.  Good steel (CPM-20CV), but the grip and liner locks aren't as stout as my other ZTs.  I don't have any doubts on durability, but just quite like previous ZT offerings.  Which is fine, especially given the price this line is offered at. 

stangzilla

« Reply #448 on: March 27, 2020, 01:58:13 PM »
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/ZT0357BW

Came in today.  This was on my interest list from when it was released, so when I saw the price drop I couldn't resist. 

First impressions is that lower price range was the goal for this one.  Good steel (CPM-20CV), but the grip and liner locks aren't as stout as my other ZTs.  I don't have any doubts on durability, but just quite like previous ZT offerings.  Which is fine, especially given the price this line is offered at.

That is really nice!  :shaka:

I actually got the same one and was delivered today too. What a coincidence!
I got the working finish. Looks like a heavy stonewash.
For the price, it's a great knife. It was between this one and the kershaw link in 20cv. But since I have 2 links already and the 0357 was on sale and I had a gift certificate, I went with the ZT.
It reminds me of the Link with thicker liners and looks like the blade may be slightly thicker too.
For the price I really like it

stangzilla

« Reply #449 on: September 15, 2020, 12:32:14 PM »
top to bottom:
ZT 0357 - 20 CV
Kershaw Link - 20 CV
Kershaw Link - M390
Kershaw Link - Alabama Damascus

the Link is my favorite model of Kershaw
the ZT 0357 is like a slightly beefier Link. 
all are great EDC.  all about 3.25" blades.  not too big, not too small, perfect   ;)

macsak

« Reply #450 on: September 15, 2020, 12:52:04 PM »
top to bottom:
ZT 0357 - 20 CV
Kershaw Link - 20 CV
Kershaw Link - M390
Kershaw Link - Alabama Damascus

the Link is my favorite model of Kershaw
the ZT 0357 is like a slightly beefier Link. 
all are great EDC.  all about 3.25" blades.  not too big, not too small, perfect   ;)

I EDC the 20CV
I wish I got the M390 one, looks awesome in black with the flag...

stangzilla

« Reply #451 on: September 15, 2020, 01:04:59 PM »
I EDC the 20CV
I wish I got the M390 one, looks awesome in black with the flag...

you can still get the M390 and have both!   :thumbsup:

stangzilla

« Reply #452 on: November 30, 2020, 07:48:29 AM »

macsak

« Reply #453 on: November 30, 2020, 08:22:27 AM »
you can still get the M390 and have both!   :thumbsup:

there's a dividend in M390 that's on production delay that i might get later

update on my green link:
ordered a black titanium deep carry clip yesterday because paint on the stock one was chipping
my OCD doesn't like that

stangzilla

« Reply #454 on: November 30, 2020, 12:45:25 PM »

update on my green link:
ordered a black titanium deep carry clip yesterday because paint on the stock one was chipping
my OCD doesn't like that

I have the cheapo dividend.  nice knife.  should be a lot better with M390

I just ordered a WE knife.  always wanted to try WE brand.  heard good things about the company, they also make the massdrop and ferrumforge knives.  got almost 50% off at knifecenter, so I thought now is the time to try out the WE!   :geekdanc:
this is what i ordered, but in gold titanium under the carbon fiber.  WE 810 Yucha

this is the gold one

drck1000

« Reply #455 on: November 30, 2020, 12:48:48 PM »

update on my green link:
my OCD doesn't like that
Awesome!  Looking forward to what you think.  I had been eyeing a couple of WE and Civivi.  I ended up getting a Kizer to try.  It's just ok.  I have way too many folders as it is, so I decided to stop.  Haha

stangzilla

« Reply #456 on: November 30, 2020, 12:51:39 PM »
Awesome!  Looking forward to what you think.  I had been eyeing a couple of WE and Civivi.  I ended up getting a Kizer to try.  It's just ok.  I have way too many folders as it is, so I decided to stop.  Haha

which Kizer did you get?
I have a few.  some are just ok.  but a few I have are really great

drck1000

« Reply #457 on: November 30, 2020, 12:55:58 PM »
which Kizer did you get?
I have a few.  some are just ok.  but a few I have are really great

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kizer-Mikkel-Willumsen-Barbosa--52448

I mainly bought it to try VG-10 steel, but also to sample Kizer brand.  I mean it seems like a quality knife, just not what my preferences are. 

AND, it's now on sale for way cheaper than I bought mine for.   :-[

:rofl:

stangzilla

« Reply #458 on: November 30, 2020, 01:00:33 PM »
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kizer-Mikkel-Willumsen-Barbosa--52448

I mainly bought it to try VG-10 steel, but also to sample Kizer brand.  I mean it seems like a quality knife, just not what my preferences are. 

AND, it's now on sale for way cheaper than I bought mine for.   :-[

:rofl:

I have the Kizer Vindicator, Mjolnir, Sheepdog XL, Uprising reverse tanto.  all are very good.  I really like the Vindicator and Mjolnir (M390).  the Vindicator is very functional, well thought out design.  the Mjolnir is super smooth action, big knife.
I guess with Kizer its hit or miss

drck1000

« Reply #459 on: November 30, 2020, 01:03:52 PM »
I have the Kizer Vindicator, Mjolnir, Sheepdog XL, Uprising reverse tanto.  all are very good.  I really like the Vindicator and Mjolnir (M390).  the Vindicator is very functional, well thought out design.  the Mjolnir is super smooth action, big knife.
I guess with Kizer its hit or miss
Are you man enough to wield Mjolnir (Thor's hammer, right?)   ;D

Yeah.  I mean I think the Kizer I have is good, but I'm also comparing it to the ZTs, higher end Spyderco, Lion Steel, etc.  So not fair.  I think I would like the one I have more if the opening wasn't as sluggish.  It's also a smaller blade, which isn't my preference, but that doesn't have anything to do with the quality.