2020 CCW/OC Drive (Read 2458 times)

6716J

2020 CCW/OC Drive
« on: January 06, 2020, 11:33:11 AM »
So as we head into the next decade and all of the anti-gun legislature being talked about, are we as a community going to push the system to show we actually want to carry? Either openly or concealed?

We already know that we're going to be denied, but with numbers on our side to show that we are being disenfranchised, would we have a better chance of getting this through the court system as a class action suit and not an individual suit? Are we waiting on the Young decision?

We have the Day at the Legislature on the 30th, can we pick a day to do the same at HPD? And yes we know it will be a long day waiting for them to process the applications in.

I'd also like to contest the requirement to have a handgun registered in Hawaii at the time of application. What if you haven't purchased your firearm yet? What if you travel to Hawaii and leave your firearm in another state and just bring it for periods of less than 5 days? And just because you don't own a firearm, that should not preclude one from obtaining a permit.. You don't need to have a car to get a drivers license, an airplane to get a pilots license or a ballot box to vote.

What would be the best written reason to carry that might at least give the courts pause to review and hopefully side with us? I already get it's our right but that's been turned down so many times already.

http://www.honolulupd.org/downloads/LTC2018Application.pdf

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0134/HRS_0134-0009.htm
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Platinum808

Re: 2020 CCW/OC Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 11:38:36 AM »
For reason you feel HPD/state is violating your/my civil rights i obey all there law but still will be labeled a criminal if i dont have the permit! You are trying to follow the law but yet punished or denied!
Oh ignorant youth, the world is not a joyous place. The time has come for you to dispense with the frivolous pleasures of childhood and get down to honest toil until you are sixty-five. Then and only then can you relax and collect your social security and live happily until the time of your death!

-Hunter S. Thompson

zippz

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 12:32:04 PM »
Another option I'm considering is to do an Arizona CCW drive to show demand in Hawaii.  We know people will line up for it from Prime Sports past event, because they know they'll get something out of it.  Very difficult to get people out to HPD for a CCW they won't get.

Second option that probably won't work, is to have HPD take applications at the gun show.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 01:07:32 PM »
The last CCW drive, only about 30 people applied.  AG website shows the denials.  The Prime Sports one seemed to have more than that.

But I'm down.  I apply every year anyways.

If I'm reading the law correct, you have 5 days to register any gun brought into the state.  Which doesn't mean if you leave before that, you're excluded.  It would mean if you're here for 2 days, you have to register said gun at that time before you leave.  Can anyone confirm?

Zipps,

Maybe a poll to see who already has an out of state CCW would be helpful.  Because if they already have AZ/UT then they won't apply again.

zippz

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 01:19:12 PM »
Zipps,

Maybe a poll to see who already has an out of state CCW would be helpful.  Because if they already have AZ/UT then they won't apply again.

We're filling an foia request with Arizona and Utah to see how many permits were issued for Hawaii.

The national average is 5% of adults have a CCW permit.  So that would be over 50,000 for Hawaii, thats the expected demand if we could get permits here
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 01:29:34 PM »
We're filling an foia request with Arizona and Utah to see how many permits were issued for Hawaii.

The national average is 5% of adults have a CCW permit.  So that would be over 50,000 for Hawaii, thats the expected demand if we could get permits here

That national average doesn't include the many legal gun-carrying adults who aren't forced to get gov't permission.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Mdotweber

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 02:03:32 PM »

What would be the best written reason to carry that might at least give the courts pause to review and hopefully side with us?

:shake: The state might respond well to "protection from Nazi's" :shake:

But in all seriousness  im down to try, ill spread the word around at work.
"Dont forget, incoming fire has the right of way"-Clint Smith?

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 02:06:47 PM »

How about other states?  Because I have neither AZ or UT, but have Nevada.  And I was going to get Washington, but ended up not going there.  Also military members who have theirs from various states as well.  I remember seeing a TX drivers license that was on SSH because someone found a wallet.  On the top it had in red letters CCW holder or something.

To help your tally, me and Mrs. CMO have Nevada CCW permits.

zippz

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 02:28:01 PM »
How about other states?

AZ and UT seem to be the most popular cause they're easy to get and classes are offered for them.  FL too maybe.

NV is a bit difficult to get since you have to take the class there and go to the station.

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 02:46:43 PM »
AZ and UT seem to be the most popular cause they're easy to get and classes are offered for them.  FL too maybe.

NV is a bit difficult to get since you have to take the class there and go to the station.

I meant tally for other states CCW permit holders.

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 03:09:06 PM »

Yup.  And a bunch of folks locally who offer the classes on a regular basis.  AZ was super quick once the paperwork was complete.  UT not that much longer.  The "hardest" parts were getting good prints and making sure you don't f*%k up the information on the cards and have to redo the prints.  :( 

groveler

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 03:36:30 PM »
I plan to do my usual CCW application in 2020.
Which the Tyrant HPD Democrat will refuse.
I always like it when they say call 911, maybe I'll include the
video of the Texas church where non police guys saved lives
in 6 SECONDS! or perhaps the video I have of the NZ church
shooting where the police sped by as the shooter drove off
after killing a good many people.
I also plan to switch legal residency to WA state
later this year and get a CCW
permit from WA state( they are shall issue).
It is a waste of time to vote in HI anyway,
Plus WA state has better hunting
and I can defend myself when I'm there.

6716J

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 03:54:49 PM »
Well just for the numbers for Zippz, I've got my AZ CCW

6716J

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 04:01:48 PM »
OK Zippz. Maybe we can get results on numbers of permit holders

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=35714.0