Can I kill rats with an air pellet gun in the stream by my house? (Read 224047 times)

Barrett808

Re: Can I kill rats with an air pellet gun in the stream by my house?
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2014, 02:47:57 PM »
Buy it a use it to eradicate pigs. Know Farmers who shoot big game with large cal pellet guns for crop damage control. Property owner needs a DLNR eradication permit for game mammals. There's something in regs (Page 14 line 10) about hunting   game mammals with compressed air weapon. Don't know about spring powered. Somebody on 2A would know?
Any way doing all the fun on private land, no game animals involved so erelevant.
Wish I had funds to buy it. Use other methods to eradicate vermin when asked by property owners.
Sounds like a great deal for lucky buyer hopefully you. Those bigger caliber pellet guns are really loud. But if you permanently attach suppressor it's legal.
Tubes that are not permanently fixed can get you in trouble.
May be your landlord will cut your rent for being his eradicator. Wife would love that.  Lol
Inquire on golf courses too, might get lucky.
Keep up it up, you make our day & look forward to your daily updates.
Go gettum!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:03:54 PM by Barrett808 »

stangzilla

« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2014, 03:55:05 PM »
thats good that your landlord is ok with you shooting the rats.
I think you are doing the community a big favor.
keep it up!   :shaka:

Barrett808

« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2014, 04:12:31 PM »
Shouldn't say this but...
Wish some ninjas would deal with the feral vermin at UH too.
Bad when your pets get hurt or killed by ferals invading your property.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:22:20 PM by Barrett808 »

robble1

« Reply #123 on: October 15, 2014, 05:31:20 PM »
Going to meet the guy in about an hour. He said it's mine.

I texted him at 11:24 last night immediately after seeing the ad. He was still awake.

Barrett808

« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2014, 05:33:52 PM »
Right on you are the most deserving Bro!

ren

« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »
Going to meet the guy in about an hour. He said it's mine.

I texted him at 11:24 last night immediately after seeing the ad. He was still awake.

Rats won't stand a chance.
Deeds Not Words

robble1

« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
aRGH!  Tried to upload a couple of pictures but they were too large.  Errored out and I lost my wall of text.  Anyway, I'll try this again.

Home now.  Went as smoothly as you could ask for a CL meet up.  For some reason I thought the hose and fittings were included in the package but they weren't (I checked the ad and sure enough they weren't).  He did sell me what I needed for $50 though.  I also picked up a Hatsan 25 SuperTACT for $50.

Noise - at least while dry firing the marauder is louder than my fusion (but it's packing a LOT more wallop). Until I can get a better shroud for it I'll relegate it to early evenings and use the fusion for late night stuff.  The  break barrel pistol is very loud.  I'm not sure I want to be shooting it during the day much less at night.  I'll probably sell it.
so the list of everything I got: - bipod attached to marauder, a large Leapers 4-16x50 scope, an open but looking full tin of JSB Match Diablo Exacts 350ct 25.39 grain, new sealed tin of H&N Barracudda hunter 27.47g 200ct., new sealed tin H&N Barracuda hunter extreme 28.4g 200ct,. new sealed tin of predator polymag 26g 150 ct, two clips, one almost full 80ct cleaning pellets, a new sealed small tube of silicon chamber oil. 1 used but almost full 80cf scuba tank with fresh certs and 7 free refills, the tank attachment, hose, and gun attachment, and the pistol.  Got home and realized the pistol was missing the detachable stock - texted him and he was apologetic that he forgot to pack it. Said he'd get it to me tomorrow.   Total $500.   Could've saved $50 and not got the pistol but should be easy to resell for what I paid.

ok ok, pictures!  I hear you and I haven't even clicked "post" yet.

direct link to full size: http://imageshack.com/a/img661/167/iTuaHE.jpg

Direct link to full size: http://imageshack.com/a/img904/5853/hYW6LE.jpg

Tom_G

« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »
Rock on!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

robble1

« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2014, 10:35:13 PM »
all is not currently happy in robble land.  Starting to wonder about the old saying "if it's too good to be true". 

I have a feeling something is fishy but I'll explain more later.  working on the gun right now. 

robble1

« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2014, 11:31:39 PM »
This gun is NOT only 1 month old.

robble1

« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2014, 11:38:05 PM »
I have been ripped off.

robble1

« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2014, 01:38:39 AM »
in the last few hours I've gone from happy, to suspicious  to realization to anger to another realization and learning to some relief (but still some anger too). Sorry but the following wall of text is my rambling thoughts trying to remember what happened.

Met the guy at kaneohe park. had told him i wanted to shoot it to see how loud it was.  very local sounding guy. 5'9"-5'11"  heavy build but not fat. he rode a white moped that had an alarm on it.  acted super friendly.  he said his brother dropped off the gear.  another guy was with him.  he talked alot about how he had several family member in HPD. Hence the punisher stickers and police stickers on the scope, gun case he had and in the room where his craigslist picture was taken (which he has deleted but I had a window still open and took  a screen shot of it). anyway there were too many people to actually shoot a pellet so I just dry fired it.  it was a little louder than my fusion but by this point I wanted it. he said he had a soft case he'd sell cheap and he'd have his brother who wasn't moving (was HE really moving?) meet me on Thursday to buy it.got home with everything.. went out to site in the scope. he had said it was sited for 40 yards and I shoot at less than 15. set up my pellet trap outside.  it is a box stuck to 1/2" plywood.  target is a regular size sheet of paper with several bullseyes printed.  I started only about 4 yards away since i knew the scope could be way off. Aimed at center of paper bullseye.  shot. it was loud. the hell? the paper had no holes.  went looking and the pellet had hit the plywood about 14 " to the right of the aim point and went through the plywood.  The hell?  I could see it being high or low but sideways???  moved to about 7 feet away from target. shot again. kinda loud.  still no hole. could not find where the pellet went.  started checking out the gun.  shroud was a little loose.tightened up the shroud.  tried shooting one more time only 4 feet away.  was crouching when I shot.  it was very loud and I felt something hit my leg but not like it was a ricochet back at me.. like it came from the breech area. went back inside house to check it out closer.  had a hell of a time getting the magazine out - maybe operator error as i didn't know to fully cock it.  get magazine out. try looking in loading breach.  don't see anything.try shining light through barrel.  can't see light.  try blow through barrel.  it's stopped up.  drop the inside of an ink pen down barrel. it doesn't go through.  cut a straight  piece of heavy metal clothes hanger and drop it down. hanger knock two pellets out of barrel through breech. oh.. maybe I did something wrong.  heard you could load two pellets if you cocked it wrong.  put just one pellet in magazine and go try shoot again.  still no hole. still loud.  come back in and drop hanger through and knock pellet out.  Now I KNOW something is wrong with the gun.  want to disassemble it but need to degas it. look up how to degas on internet.  says use the special degas tool.   ok.. he didn't give me one.. nor an owners manual I realize.  text him asking if he has owner's manual and special degas tool.  (haven't heard heard from him since he said he'd get the stock for the pistol to me.) so no choice but to bleed down by dry fire.  first dry fire shot notice strong wind hit my hand near breech. next shot same thing.  start looking.  The o-ring the plunger is supposed to go through is missing.  continue cocking and firing.  the cocking starts to get VERY hard.  finally, all air pressure gone.  find a very good video on dis-assembly of the rifle.  get the shroud off.  unscrew end cap and see this:

Yes, it had obviosuly been hit by a pellet.  Those are chunks of lead next to it.
 I look in shroud and see

super dirty.  No way this is a new rifle.

pull out the baffles and find this:

4 of the 6 baffles had been hit by pellets.
Get shroud emptied out.
Look in shroud again and see:

the goddamn shroud is BENT.

continue breaking down gun.  The barrel LOOKS straight. I can only pray.

Anyway i spent the last couple hours tearing it down pretty far- got trigger, hammer and cap of air tank off..

the good news?  I think with a shroud replacement and tune up it'll be good as new.  I want to get an o-ring kit and replace all the o-rings, clean it all up, lubricate etc.  After watching this video:
I now know MUCH more about how this gun works.  I think I can do the tune up if I can find a kit and shroud online. Nothing other than the shroud *seems* to be broken.  I also learned how to vary the air flow and hammer strike force from the video.  I don't need to sling 28g pellets at 850'/sec to kill rats.  If I slow them down to 650-700 it should be quiet..

Remember folks, if it's too good to be true....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:09:10 AM by robble1 »

talula

« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2014, 06:50:20 AM »
That's a bummer. I have learned every time I buy something used treat it like something's wrong and go from their.  Most honest people understand and work with you. Hope all works out.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:39:00 AM by talula »
Every ones a good person. You just might be catching them in a bad time of their life.

oldfart

« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2014, 08:51:13 AM »
Unfortunate.
In hindsight, i don't think a guy with money to buy a rig like this would be riding a moped.
Could be stolen.
What, Me Worry?

robble1

« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2014, 09:55:47 AM »
The guy actually text responded to my  text from last night.  Denied knowledge of anything wrong with the rifle,  said he has the receipt for buying it and he'd send me a picture of it..  That was 5am this morning.  Haven't seen the receipt picture yet but I sent him a pics (ones I posted above) a short while ago.   I wonder if I'll get a receipt or response to the shroud pictures.

Going to call up crosman to see about getting the shroud.  The gunsmith I know recommended getting a new barrel too even if the old one looks straight.

ren

« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2014, 10:43:26 AM »
Sorry to hear about the Marauder. It looked like an awesome deal and the listing sounded as if the seller knew a bit about PCPs - but from your dealings with this guy there seems to be a bit more to the Marauder's background.
Deeds Not Words

Mynah

« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2014, 01:13:22 PM »
This might be a blessing in disguise.  I don't think parts are too expensive and after you get it sighted in you'll know as much as you need to about taking it apart.   It might still be a deal for you in the end and hopefully a tact driver at that.

Good luck.

mauidog

« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2014, 01:26:27 PM »
Just from doing my shopping and research (yeah, you caused that!! :) ), I read that the .117 and .25 caliber versions of the Marauder are quieter than the .22 model.    That might not be true with the latest production line, so more research is needed if looking at the .22.

For $550 on Amazon, the .25 is very tempting.  You can save about $50 by getting the synthetic stock vs. wood stock.

The video reviews I've found have very little bad to say about these rifles.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00IVKA5GK/?tag=2ahawaii-20

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00AU6EICA/?tag=2ahawaii-20

An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

robble1

« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2014, 01:50:27 PM »
Even if I spent $200 repairing it to like new it's still not a bad deal considering all the stuff I got.   It's just not the deal I agreed to.

However,  the guy has replied to me and while he still claims he didn't know it was messed up he made an offer to make it right.  Guess I'm in a wait and see stage.  Maybe he is stalling or maybe he is sincere. 
I was actually about to call crosman to order the stuff when I got the last round of texts.

Speaking of texts, I figured out how to show them without crossing any privacy rules. I think I may have done that early this morning as one of my posts seems to have disappeared.  Nothing special in it - just had his name and a link to his facebook lol. 

Anyway, if you are interested here is our entire text exchange up until now.  They are in sets of 3 pages each and in order. Just click first pic and then use the arrow on right side of picture that pops up to easily go to the next.
  When I re-read them over - I KNEW I thought I was supposed to get a hard case for some reason.  But at the meeting he said the hard case belonged to his brother and he couldn't  let it go.
 At the point of messages where I asked if he had owners manual or special tools I already knew the shroud was fubar ( I did need the tool to bleed off the air) and just kinda played dumb.  The thing about me saying it wasn't supposed to stay pressurized was playing dumb. For a moment I thought he missed me calling him out.
Please excuse my typos.  Autocorrect isn't always correct.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:07:50 PM by robble1 »

Mynah

« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2014, 03:04:29 PM »
If you plan on meeting with him again be sure you have company.