Streamlight and batteries. (Read 3972 times)

mangosteenqueen

Streamlight and batteries.
« on: February 05, 2019, 12:00:41 AM »
I have a streamlight protac rail mount 2 which runs on two 3v cr123 batteries. How should I go on about rechargeable batteries? If I have to get a niche size battery that’s the size of two cr123s, what size and voltage should I get if at all possible?
I suppose I could order cr123 batteries online but the mail carriers have been very inconsistent with my packages for over a year and I like the idea of rechargeables.

Lihikai

Re: Streamlight and batteries.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 05:49:30 AM »
You can also use a rechargible 18650 in place of the 123 batteries

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 09:38:30 AM »
I have a streamlight protac rail mount 2 which runs on two 3v cr123 batteries. How should I go on about rechargeable batteries? If I have to get a niche size battery that’s the size of two cr123s, what size and voltage should I get if at all possible?
I suppose I could order cr123 batteries online but the mail carriers have been very inconsistent with my packages for over a year and I like the idea of rechargeables.

Most lights that use 2 x CR123 batteries stacked end-to-end can use one rechargeable 18650 lithium-ion battery in their place.

When you combine two batteries with 3V @ (like the CR123), you're creating a 6V max power source. Most 18650s are about 3.6-3.7V.  In a flashlight, there's no issue there. If you're trying to use a 18650 in a photo accessory (flash), you might never get the flash to fully charge, because the voltage is too low.

However, the CR123 has a CAPACITY of only about 1300 mAh (milliampere hours). 18650s can be in the 2600-3600 mAh range on average. That means in a flashlight, a rechargeable 18650 @ 2600mAh will last about twice as long as 2 x CR123s before it needs recharging.

There are a few things to consider when buying 18650 rechargeable batteries:

-- They are not cheap.
-- They come in 2 main flavors: protected and unprotected. The protection circuitry prevents fires when charging/discharging, regulates voltage when charging, and makes the battery casing slightly thicker.
-- The size of the battery varies. If you have a light that is tight around CR123 batteries, make sure to check the physical size of the 18650 you choose, or it might not fit.
-- The life of a rechargeable is about 300-500 charges, depending on the quality and device used.
-- There are LOTS of counterfeit 18650s out there, even on Amazon. It's easy to take a cheap knockoff and relabel it as a better brand.

Make sure to buy from a reputable source. It might not be as cheap as Amazon, and you might have to pay for shipping, but many sellers on Amazon won't ship batteries to Hawaii anyway.  So, PRIME may not be a factor.

You can save money sometimes by getting a bundle with a couple of batteries and a charger.  Make sure the charger is better than the cheapest ones. A crappy charger can destroy the battery circuitry or simply stop working. The batteries are useless if you can't recharge them.  It's good if the charger has lights/display to indicate the level of remaining charge when you insert batteries, so you can gauge how long to fully charge. That makes the charger also a  tester -- to see how much charge remains in a battery so you know if it needs charging before use.

I just bought some new Fenix flashlight rechargeable batteries last week. They have a new version out with a built-in charger port. Just attach a micro-USB cable to it, plug it into a power source (AC, car outlet, PC USB port, etc.), and it'll charge.  No need for a separate charger.  They are slightly thicker than the original Fenix batteries I have, but fit my Fenix flashlights fine -- slide easily when inserting or removing.

If interested in those, I bought from Fenix-Store.com.  They were 22.95 EACH, and I bought 4, for a total of $91.80. Shipping to Hawaii was free.  I ordered on 1/29, and they arrived 2/2.

ARBL-L18-3500U
Capacity: 3500 mAh
Voltage: 3.6V
Protection Circuitry
Micro-USB port

If you're on a budget, the 2600 mAh batteries without the charging port is about $14, but you need a charger. 

I also just bought this charger that gets good reviews for $15.54 and free Prime shipping on Amazon, since my old charger bit the dust recently.

I charged all of my 18650s I've owned for years with the new Nitecore charger 2 batteries at a time, and they all charged to 100%.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096U26QQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 09:44:50 AM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 10:55:35 AM »
Alright thanks for the info. My local fishing/gun shop has rechargeable Fenix 18650s around that same price range that I’ll grab soon.
That or order the streamlight usb 18650.

ren

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 11:50:01 AM »
you can harvest 18650s from old laptop batt packs, scooter packs etc. if you have a good charger refresh them by single storage charging them.
I have over a dozen. My eBike has a 36 volt pack from 50 cells.
Deeds Not Words

macsak

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 12:23:13 PM »
you can harvest 18650s from old laptop batt packs, scooter packs etc. if you have a good charger refresh them by single storage charging them.

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 12:25:42 PM »
That’s pretty neat

macsak

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 12:36:20 PM »
That’s pretty neat

a forum member sells nitecore
https://www.facebook.com/NitecoreHawaii/
https://www.nitecorehawaii.com/

most likely he will be at the march gun show too

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 12:42:10 PM »

Then your house catches on fire, just in time for the AWB to be passed...

ren

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 01:17:02 PM »
paid $30 for 18650s from Battery Bills. Too buku. I was too lazy. Found that these old laptop packs had quality Samsung cells. Charged them with my RC charger and they've been holding up great.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 02:18:44 PM »
With the increase in demand for 18650s for vaping, I predict by next year, the prices for those batteries not suitable for vaping should start to fall.

Either that, or they'll be banned or heavily taxed to get people to stop vaping.   :wacko:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 07:43:54 AM »
Some good info here.  I have a bunch of lights that are 2xCR123A and I believe most can accept the 18650 without any issues.  I recall reading about some lights needing to have some mods to accept the 18650.  I think the Surefire Fury was one.  I had looked into this a while ago and I recall (vaguely) reviews that 18650 either didn't get the same lumens or as long run times as 2xCR123.  This was many years ago though.  Did some more reading and seems like if you get good quality 18650s, then they can exceed most CR123 in both lumens and run times.  I have a bunch of CR123 around, but think I'll start looking more into 18650. 

Seems like there are more and more "dual fuel" lights on the market now.  I have a bunch of the Streamlight duel fuel ones that accept CR123 or AA.  I've been using CR123 in all of them so far though. 

NITECOREHAWAII

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 10:21:09 PM »
a forum member sells nitecore
https://www.facebook.com/NitecoreHawaii/
https://www.nitecorehawaii.com/

most likely he will be at the march gun show too

Aloha guys! Yes!

We will be at the March 16-17th gun show with batteries, flashlights, chargers, and other things that we normally sell every year. Our table will be in our normal spot. At the end, near the military trucks.
Follow us on instagram or facebook for special discounts at the show too.

Follow Us on social media for flashlight fun!
Instagram @NITECOREHawaii
Facebook @NITECOREHawaii
www.nitecorehawaii.com

NITECOREHAWAII

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 10:30:49 PM »

wow thats pretty gutsy.. lol
I'll give you a discount on nitecore batteries.. just to mitigate the risk of your homes catching on fire... 
Facebook @NITECOREHawaii
www.nitecorehawaii.com

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 08:09:16 AM »
Aloha guys! Yes!

We will be at the March 16-17th gun show with batteries, flashlights, chargers, and other things that we normally sell every year. Our table will be in our normal spot. At the end, near the military trucks.
Follow us on instagram or facebook for special discounts at the show too.

Awesome!  Will be sure to check you guys out.  I usually look for deals on ammo and just browse, but been looking into rechargeable options a lot more lately.   :shaka:

NITECOREHAWAII

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 09:10:45 AM »
Awesome!  Will be sure to check you guys out.  I usually look for deals on ammo and just browse, but been looking into rechargeable options a lot more lately.   :shaka:

Yahoo! See you there! I got plenty of 18650 batteries including the NL1835R which has a charging port built into the battery. mention that we had this conversation on 2ahawaii forums for 10% off. 👍🏽
Facebook @NITECOREHawaii
www.nitecorehawaii.com

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 10:27:42 PM »

Honestly for a true combat light I wouldn't run rechargeables. Yes they have a much better shelf life than they used to but for my gun lights I only run good new disposable batteries.

If you wanted to do a lot of training then eventually rechargeables will pay for themselves.