Health Related Survival Preparations (Read 10402 times)

whynow?

Re: Health Related Survival Preparations
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 09:22:33 PM »
Those of our mindset for preparedness can learn a lot from these survival books.  However there's things that these books might not prepare us for.   Hard to really explain, but maybe what one of the Sarajevo survivors wrote "that even good people committed evil acts to stay alive" may give a clue.   We will only know what we are capable of when the time comes.   

whynow?

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 09:29:51 PM »
Forgot to add that other good reads are "Patriots" by John Wesley Rawles and "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross.  Even classics like Tale of Two Cities, Last of the Mohicans or Drums Along the Mohawk can give interesting ideas on survival.

drck1000

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 07:09:00 AM »
Those of our mindset for preparedness can learn a lot from these survival books.  However there's things that these books might not prepare us for.   Hard to really explain, but maybe what one of the Sarajevo survivors wrote "that even good people committed evil acts to stay alive" may give a clue.   We will only know what we are capable of when the time comes.

Yeah, mindset it something to consider.  What one would be willing to do.  Might not know until really faced with that situation.  However, similar to mindset in context of use of firearm in defensive situation, I believe it is important to at least ask the tough questions while things are calm, and not during the storm.  Like situations of choosing who gets diabetic meds.  Or who gets rations.  Not even considering the "evil acts" that one could be pushed to in desperate times. 

Then the part I didn't consider in terms of meds is those needing meds for psychological conditions.  I was considering meds for stuff like blood pressure, diabetes, organ function, etc.  Never even thought about bipolars, schizos, etc. 

Forgot to add that other good reads are "Patriots" by John Wesley Rawles and "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross.  Even classics like Tale of Two Cities, Last of the Mohicans or Drums Along the Mohawk can give interesting ideas on survival.
I remember watching the movie Alive where a SA soccer team crashed in the Andes (at least I think) and survived.  At least in the movie, they ended up eating some of the dead. 

Surf

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 10:27:36 AM »
Cool. Will check it out.

The series that my friend recommended is by G. Michael Hopf. There's 4 in the series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One second after, Lights out and Lucifers Hammer are my top 3 that I suggest.  I also have the Hopfs New World series and is very good.  Other authors to look into A. American, Glenn Tate and Lloyd Tackitt.  All are series and should keep one busy with reading.  But there are many more.  Maybe we should do a book club thing.  ;)

drck1000

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 12:30:17 PM »
One second after, Lights out and Lucifers Hammer are my top 3 that I suggest.  I also have the Hopfs New World series and is very good.  Other authors to look into A. American, Glenn Tate and Lloyd Tackitt.  All are series and should keep one busy with reading.  But there are many more.  Maybe we should do a book club thing.  ;)
Ordered Lights Out last night on Amazon.   :thumbsup:

I tend to read in waves.  At least now I have a long list to choose from.  Most of my books recently are all on Kindle.  Considering EMP, maybe I should invest in the printed versions.   :P

whynow?

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 11:10:02 PM »
Just finished watching this Netflix movie called The last Survivor.  WROL/SHTF scenario with water shortage.   Has some gratuitous violence, pretty girl, Winchester or Ithaca pump 12 ga. shotgun, revolvers, Mauser type rifle, samurai sword, slingshot, off the grid living, CB comms, gas masks and other things of interest.    Pretty good for a lower budget type movie without the poor amateurish acting or camera work.  Recommend seeing it if you want to watch something at night.

drck1000

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 07:54:58 AM »
Finished One Year After.  While I enjoyed it and can see stuff going down like that, it was a disappointing follow-up to One Second After.  Will likely move on to Lights Out and the Hopf series next. 

drck1000

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 03:20:35 PM »
Started Lights Out on my recent trip. Just go to the part where more than the “gun nut” in the community realize the value of firearms and more importantly, how firearms aren’t very useful without ammo.

The book was released in 2010 and the ammo prices were pretty close to prices today.