noob question. can i register just reciever or whole complete gun?? (Read 1648 times)

Henele25

wondering if I can just register the lower AR  and 10/22 receiver only at HPD?  or do I need to bring the whole barrel and stock complete before registration?

thanks in advance

Heavies

Re: noob question. can i register just reciever or whole complete gun??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 08:48:35 PM »
If you get a stripped lower and a stripped reciever you can.

If you purchase them as complete rifles on the paperwork, then they will give you problems if you don't bring them in complete.

What's legal and what they do are two separate issues completely.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 08:49:47 PM »
wondering if I can just register the lower AR  and 10/22 receiver only at HPD?  or do I need to bring the whole barrel and stock complete before registration?

thanks in advance

Technically, just the receiver is required. 

However, if purchased from a dealer as a whole gun, I'd recommend taking the whole thing in as sold.  Their paperwork from the FFL lists all the specs, like barrel length and import markings.  I know some import marks wind up on the barrel, not the receiver.

If you purchased the receiver alone, they should not give you a hard time.  If they do, tell them you don't know when you'll have the funds to finish the build.  Give them the choice of registration now, or at some far off distant time in the unforeseeable future.

:thumbsup: :geekdanc:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Heavies

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 08:55:58 PM »
Technically, just the receiver is required. 

However, if purchased from a dealer as a whole gun, I'd recommend taking the whole thing in as sold.  Their paperwork from the FFL lists all the specs, like barrel length and import markings.  I know some import marks wind up on the barrel, not the receiver.

If you purchased the receiver alone, they should not give you a hard time.  If they do, tell them you don't know when you'll have the funds to finish the build.  Give them the choice of registration now, or at some far off distant time in the unforeseeable future.

:thumbsup: :geekdanc:

Actually they would have to register a stripped reciever right then.  It is considered the "firearm"   they'll probably say you "need" to bring the completed rifle back when completed.  But that's not the truth.   It's already registered

Henele25

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 09:30:15 PM »
Both are complete customs.  Nothing is stock but the receivers.  I hoping to just carry the recievers in for a light carry since i already striped the whole gun for cleaning/ungrade.
Didnt want to lug two heavy rifles if i didnt need to. But now i guess ill have to put it back together .  thanks again.

WTF?Shane

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 09:34:42 PM »
Both are complete customs.  Nothing is stock but the receivers.  I hoping to just carry the recievers in for a light carry since i already striped the whole gun for cleaning/ungrade.
Didnt want to lug two heavy rifles if i didnt need to. But now i guess ill have to put it back together .  thanks again.

Did the FFL receive them as just receivers or complete guns?

19pontiac79

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 01:45:48 PM »
Ah depends on who you get at the window that day.
"if can. Can. If no can. No can" - Uncles 😆
"Why? The ring no block the hole." - Uncle's 😘
"You can throw a rock any distance and you will hit a double standard. = LIFE" 🤷🏽‍♂️