Maunakea TMT Protests (Read 171622 times)

RSN172

Re: Maunakea TMT Protests
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2019, 06:18:07 PM »
I watched the 5pm news and saw some cars driving slowly blocking all four lanes of the freeway with couple mopeds weaving in front of them.  HPD came from the other way and was apparently able to apprehend them.  If I was the judge I would suspend their license for 3 months and a $1000 fine.  Get a 2nd offense then 1 year suspension, $2500 fine and 6 months in jail.

The big mistake law enforcement and the Governor did was not ending this nonsense on day one.  Longer this goes now the more emboldened people will get.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2019, 08:44:15 PM »
Personally I support it. Granted it is on "sacred" land but I think studying the stars is in no way disrespectful given the importance of the stars to the Native Hawaiians long ago. Now if they were building a shopping mall on a heiau I would have a problem but not the telescope on Mauna Kea.

I think the telescope has really just become a sort of proxy for the upset over the overthrown kingdom and other issues. I get the passion but I think they are picking a wrong hill to die on.

And when supporters shut down the freeway all they are going to do is alienate people to their cause.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2019, 08:45:47 PM »
The big mistake law enforcement and the Governor did was not ending this nonsense on day one.  Longer this goes now the more emboldened people will get.

Something about arresting old people doesn't go over well and time is probably going to be cheaper than paying lawsuits and having to fight more people when force gets used.

RSN172

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2019, 09:30:38 PM »
Something about arresting old people doesn't go over well and time is probably going to be cheaper than paying lawsuits and having to fight more people when force gets used.
If old people, and I am one of them, break the law, they deserve to get arrested.  They should go protest over the Feds not returning the land at Bellows and Fort DeRussy.  Prime beaches and real estate that the Feds were supposed to have given back.  But maybe we can follow their example if the state ever decides to try and confiscate guns.  We can set up tents and a line of kupuna  across the driveway of Washington Place and both sides of Beretania St and chant pro gun slogans.  Would they evacuate Washington Place and shut down Beretania St on that block for public safety and let us do that till we got tired of protesting?  We would be unarmed and just exercising our 1st Amendment rights.

EEF, I don't know how old you are, but I am close to 70 and am a far more dangerous person to mess with than when I was 50.  I will be more dangerous yet the closer I get to 80.  And watch out if I get to be a real old cuss of 90.  Something about how the less time you have remaining on this earth, the less you care what happens to you.

So don't feel sorry or take pity on old people.  I certainly don’t.

changemyoil66

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2019, 09:42:14 PM »
Funny how some LE agree, but yet do their job.

And LE not even violating a right yet  they clearing those who are blocking the road.

Imagine if they get orders to take peoples rights away...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

omnigun

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2019, 09:54:17 PM »
Put more observatories

RSN172

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2019, 08:23:40 AM »

And LE not even violating a right yet  they clearing those who are blocking the road.

They did not even do that.  The pop up tents remained, others took the place of the kupunas that got arrested, who returned in just a few minutes because they were only taken 1/8 of a mile away, cited and released.  The whole handling of this is a joke.

punaperson

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2019, 08:36:38 AM »
They did not even do that.  The pop up tents remained, others took the place of the kupunas that got arrested, who returned in just a few minutes because they were only taken 1/8 of a mile away, cited and released.  The whole handling of this is a joke.
In my various comments, including multiple emails to the governor, I've tried to come up with a more accurate descriptor than "a joke", which was my original term used. Right now I'm at "preposterous lamedick incompetent clusterfuck"... but I'm always open further refinement.  :shaka:

zippz

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2019, 12:04:35 PM »
Do you think the governor's emergency declaration was justified?  I support the telescope, however the declaration seems to be going overboard for peaceful protests.  I assume they could still arrest people for obstruction without the declaration.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2019, 12:08:29 PM »
Do you think the governor's emergency declaration was justified?  I support the telescope, however the declaration seems to be going overboard for peaceful protests.  I assume they could still arrest people for obstruction without the declaration.

People standing in the road blocking construction workers, materials and tourists is an "Emergency", but 100,000 migrants arriving at an already overwhelmed border detention center is a "manufactured crisis" used to justify an emergency declaration.

Go figure.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2019, 12:16:56 PM »
It was to show that he was doing "something".  All grandstanding bullshit and inaction.  Crowds are growing because nothing is being done.  Wait till the weekend when the umemployed and unemployable are joined by those who have jobs but are against the TMT.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2019, 12:30:04 PM »
It was to show that he was doing "something".  All grandstanding bullshit and inaction.  Crowds are growing because nothing is being done.  Wait till the weekend when the umemployed and unemployable are joined by those who have jobs but are against the TMT.

My guess is most protest supporters are not anti-TMT as much as they are pro-protesting.

Reminds me of the Dakota Access Pipeline protests.  Most protestors had less than a basic understanding of the pipeline at all.

In April 2016 two events spurred the mass protests. First, a young indigenous girl named Tokata Iron Eyes and her teenage
friends organized "ReZpect Our Water" as a social media based campaign to stop the pipeline.

Second, Standing Rock Sioux elder LaDonna Brave Bull Allard established a camp as a center for cultural preservation, spiritual
resistance to the pipeline, and for the defense of native sovereignty; over the summer the camp grew to thousands of people.

Calling it a cultural or spiritual resistance movement attracts all the hippie types regardless of the cause.
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2019, 12:44:43 PM »

I wouldn't call blocking the road "peaceful".  More like passive aggressive.  Would I be able to stand in front of your car wearing a Moms Demand Action shirt and stop you from driving?

Personally, I don't care for TMT or the protestors.  So if they want to protest along the side of the road, then fine.  But don't block peoples way.  Just like how the protesting in down town.  They're on the sidewalks and not in the middle of traffic.

So if force needs to be used to arrest or detain someone because they're blocking the road, then so be it.

changemyoil66

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2019, 12:46:21 PM »
People standing in the road blocking construction workers, materials and tourists is an "Emergency", but 100,000 migrants arriving at an already overwhelmed border detention center is a "manufactured crisis" used to justify an emergency declaration.

Go figure.

Ige should do a Mazie and just blame Trump.

In Ige voice: "uhhh, I signed the proclamation because orange man bad.  MeToo, remove borders, free stuff for everyone"

zippz

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2019, 12:53:30 PM »
My guess is most protest supporters are not anti-TMT as much as they are pro-protesting.

Reminds me of the Dakota Access Pipeline protests.  Most protestors had less than a basic understanding of the pipeline at all.

When I was a college student at UH Manoa back in the 90s, the state was going to cut funding and UH was considering raising the tuition price.  Back then it was like $600 a semester.  There was a big protest march and rally at the capitol.

Back then I jumped in with everyone since everyone was doing it, and figured raising my tuition was a bad thing.  Didn't think about taxpayers who had to fund my tuition, government waste, how the budget worked, etc.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2019, 12:58:30 PM »
When I was a college student at UH Manoa back in the 90s, the state was going to cut funding and UH was considering raising the tuition price.  Back then it was like $600 a semester.  There was a big protest march and rally at the capitol.

Back then I jumped in with everyone since everyone was doing it, and figured raising my tuition was a bad thing.  Didn't think about taxpayers who had to fund my tuition, government waste, how the budget worked, etc.

That's what happens more times than not.  People join protests based on what the protestors tell them.  What are the odds their description of the issue is biased, skewed or incomplete?
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2019, 01:02:06 PM »

There is nothing wrong with looking after yourself.  So to me, it's all G that you don't want tuition to raise.  Regardless of the trickle down effect.  But I get what Flapp is saying and agree.  I talked to some and they are all "Kau Inoa" and stuff.  See my previous post about being more Hawaiian all of a sudden.

If someone can clarify this because I saw an impeach Ige petition going around.  You can't impeach a gov unless they broke the law right?  So if true, then they can ask for his resignation, but not impeach.  Basically, if they voted for him, or didn't vote at all and all the reps involved, then they gotta live with the decision.

Cause if can, then shit, I'll sign it because of RAPBACK, bumpstock, and red flag.

punaperson

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2019, 02:39:05 PM »
Tulsi just spewed a two and half minute video of bullshit of why Ige should remove the state of emergency and put construction of TMT on hold so the leaders of "both sides" can pooonooono and come to a mutally agreeable understanding. After 10 years of vehement non-disagreement? What's different now? Her use of the phrase "transcendental reality" and stating that those who don't agree with her are "hard hearted" (among other things) are utterly demeaning and arrogant (only she and the "native people" are spiritual enough to grasp what normal white people are ignorant of... that which is TRULY important...). She's a fucking loser and liar and fantasist. Fuck her and her fucking lying guru.

oldfart

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2019, 03:23:40 PM »
Ige just made a good point.
All those people and cars on the Mauna are causing environmental damage in itself.
They gotta go pee and poo someplace.
What, Me Worry?

RSN172

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2019, 04:10:26 PM »
Ige just made a good point.
All those people and cars on the Mauna are causing environmental damage in itself.
They gotta go pee and poo someplace.
The state has kindly put up Porta Pottys.  You can see them in some of the videos and photos.