Philippine Military Sovereignty From the US (Read 15851 times)

Kuleana

Philippine Military Sovereignty From the US
« on: February 16, 2020, 09:40:20 AM »
An unapologetic patriot in the war against drugs in his country and outspoken critic of US Imperialism, President Rodrigo Duterte has finally taken action to begin freeing his country from being a militarized vassal state of the US.

On February 11, 2020, the Republic of the Philippines has officially gave notice of the end of the Visiting Forces Agreement with the US that will no longer allow US military forces unfettered access to its territory.

drck1000

Re: Philippine Military Sovereignty From the US
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 10:07:31 AM »
The VFA does not give US forces “unfettered” access. Do you even have experience visiting a foreign country under any FA?  It’s NOT a free pass.

IMO, this is his attempt at a “Trump-like” tantrum, but where he isn’t in a good position to negotiate.  He’s has  more to lose than to gain. Yeah, he’s been reaching out to the Chinese for help and unchecked extremism there is a bad thing.

mrgaf

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 10:09:50 AM »
An unapologetic patriot in the war against drugs in his country and outspoken critic of US Imperialism, President Rodrigo Duterte has finally taken action to begin freeing his country from being a militarized vassal state of the US.

On February 11, 2020, the Republic of the Philippines has officially gave notice of the end of the Visiting Forces Agreement with the US that will no longer allow US military forces unfettered access to its territory.

Oh boy here we go again.... the king of troll is on a roll..... :sleeping:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Kuleana

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 10:57:50 AM »
The VFA does not give US forces “unfettered” access. Do you even have experience visiting a foreign country under any FA?  It’s NOT a free pass.

IMO, this is his attempt at a “Trump-like” tantrum, but where he isn’t in a good position to negotiate.  He’s has  more to lose than to gain. Yeah, he’s been reaching out to the Chinese for help and unchecked extremism there is a bad thing.

According to President Duterte, the current VFA exempts US military servicemen from Philippine law and prosecution while in the their country.

Once more, President Duterte says "the United States uses the pacts to conduct clandestine activities like spying and nuclear weapons stockpiling, which he says risk making the Philippines a target for Chinese aggression."  (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-philippines-usa-defence/duterte-terminates-philippines-troop-pact-us-calls-move-unfortunate-idUSKBN2050E9)

Both of the above, if true, definitely violates Philippine sovereignty and President Duterte has the legal and moral right to do what is in the best interest of the Philippines to keep it safe from any American geopolitical and military strategies in the region.

Kuleana

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »
Oh boy here we go again.... the king of troll is on a roll..... :sleeping:

No need for personal attacks.

If you are not interested, no one has asked you to click or participate in this critical thinking discussion.

macsak

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 11:05:30 AM »
According to President Duterte, the current VFA exempts US military servicemen from Philippine law and prosecution while in the their country.

Once more, President Duterte says "the United States uses the pacts to conduct clandestine activities like spying and nuclear weapons stockpiling, which he says risk making the Philippines a target for Chinese aggression."  (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-philippines-usa-defence/duterte-terminates-philippines-troop-pact-us-calls-move-unfortunate-idUSKBN2050E9)

Both of the above, if true, definitely violates Philippine sovereignty and President Duterte has the legal and moral right to do what is in the best interest of the Philippines to keep it safe from any American geopolitical and military strategies in the region.

ICBM silos?

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 11:08:17 AM »

Once more, do you have experience with FA’s. Those who do are held accountable to US laws. If you can’t see the logic in that then...

Risk to Chinese aggression? Yeah, there’s that I guess. US does not want more areas where extremism run rampant nor areas further influenced by the Chinese. That said, if PI wants to go at it on their own, good luck to them.

You are so eager to latch onto anything that fits your narrow world view that you idolize a psychopath like Duterte.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 04:52:15 PM by drck1000 »

drck1000

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 11:09:02 AM »
ICBM silos?
Yeah, it’s true...  because Duterte said so. Must be true.

Kuleana

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 11:39:34 AM »
"Once more, do you have experience with FA’s. Those who do are held accountable to US laws. If you can’t see the logic in that then..."

I do not have experience with FAs.

However, using the same logic, I can come to your house, do whatever I like, but be accountable not to your house rules, but rules according to me.  I would not disrespect your house like so.   :thumbsup:

"You are so eager to latch onto anything that fits your narrow world view that you idolize a psychopath like Duterte."

I do not have a narrow World view.  Actually, I am quite progressive and very pragmatic in my political and economic views.  I am, however, unapologetically anti-imperialist and pro-freedom.

President Duterte is a staunch Philippine patriot, who knows his country's past domination by the imperial powers of the Spanish, the Americans, and the Japanese, as well as is a warrior against drugs with his zero-tolerance drug policy.  Its funny how America and other countries criticize him, where much of his leadership and policies were much like the late Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore.  Both statesmen were very authoritarian in their leadership and are willing to take any measure to address illegal drugs in their countries.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 02:27:33 PM by Kuleana »

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 11:53:23 AM »
Al quada had a big hold in PI. And it ain't no turbin wearing AQ, but Filipinos pledging allegiance to them.

3rd SF was there for a reason. This was as of 2018. Not sure if still accurate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

robtmc

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 12:26:32 PM »
this critical thinking discussion.
God help us all!!

ROFLMAO....

Kuleana

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 12:31:26 PM »
Apparently, President Trump seemed unbothered by President Duterte's decision to end the VFA.  In fact, President Duterte has since praised Trump and wished him well on his reelection due to his respecting Philippine sovereignty in their decision to scrap the VFA.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/251930-trump-deserves-to-be-reelected-duterte

TRUMP in 2020 Baby!   :geekdanc:

rpoL98

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 04:00:57 PM »
I think Duterte is cozying up to the chinese, they are bearing more gifts from afar.

as a response, maybe US should curtail philippine immigration, since they don't want to be friends with us anymore?  ya think any local folks would notice something like that?

ren

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 04:03:00 PM »
I think Duterte is cozying up to the chinese, they are bearing more gifts from afar.

as a response, maybe US should curtail philippine immigration, since they don't want to be friends with us anymore?  ya think any local folks would notice something like that?

That's what some real analysts are talking about. It's all about money and investment into the PI. Who can offer more etc. Duterte is playing from Trump's Art of the Deal.
Deeds Not Words

Kuleana

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 07:40:55 PM »

Although China has given the Philippines much needed military materials in their fight with Islamic extremists and drug lords as well as financial aid for domestic infrastructure projects; from President Duterte's own words, the most important thing Russia and China has given the Philippines is the genuine respect entitled to all sovereign countries.  The US still treats the Philippines as a vassal state both politically and militarily.

On another note, the US should drastically decrease all immigration, as most that do come do not necessarily contribute to the legal tax paying economy and are often fresh meat for the Democratic Party.

mrgaf

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 08:05:18 PM »
No need for personal attacks.

If you are not interested, no one has asked you to click or participate in this critical thinking discussion.

Whatever... critical thinking discussion? Hah what a joke but you know what no one asked you to spew your irrational B.S. on this forum either. Raise your flags, spew your diatribe. It’s your opinion and like assholes, everyone has one. You’re not worth my time... :closed:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Kuleana

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 09:03:20 PM »
Whatever... critical thinking discussion? Hah what a joke but you know what no one asked you to spew your irrational B.S. on this forum either. Raise your flags, spew your diatribe. It’s your opinion and like assholes, everyone has one. You’re not worth my time... :closed:

Irrational BS?  Your opinion and free to say so.

Interesting how I have no problem having people exercise their 1st Amendment, but you apparently are against me when I do so.

Inspector

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 06:51:49 AM »
I read this article. And while it quotes Duterte saying all these things, the rest of the Philippine government does not agree with Duterte and will try and stop him from doing this. They may be successful, they may not. The rest of the Philippine government seems to think he cannot do this without their vote as well. The Philippine government sees the value of having the US military in their country. It is too bad that some here and Duterte does not see that value. Duterte also is acting like a spoiled rotten little baby whining that when the US military comes and does military exercises with them that they don’t leave their military toys with the the Philippine military. And he says we are rude.  Wah wah wah. Call the Whambulance. At least with the trump administration we learned our lessons by NOT leaving our toys with a corrupt government like when we left our toys in Afghanistan. That lead to loss of technology and a loss of US lives.

I agree with the others here that it sounds like Duterte is not getting what he wants from Trump and he is throwing a tantrum. I know a lot of Filipinos here and I know they are not happy with Duterte corruption. And they are worried about their families, businesses and property ownership in the future going forward. Some here refuse to even go back and visit the Philippines for fear they won’t be able to come back. What’s up with that? If he does manage to kick out the US military then it is proof that there is no such thing as US Imperialism in the Philippines as that ability contradicts the classic definition of Imperialism.

Here is what the article claims is the real reason behind Duterte trying to kick out the US from the Philippines:

“The decision by the Philippine government comes as Mr. Duterte has grown increasingly belligerent toward the United States, principally over Washington’s refusal to grant a visa to Senator Ronald dela Rosa, the early architect of Mr. Duterte’s violent war against drugs.” Wah wah wah, call the whambulance. Grow up and act like an adult.

Duterte is a murderer and a thug. He is corrupt and his word, as far as I am concerned, has very little credibility. He may be the leader of the country and has that power that goes along with it, but it does not make him right. It just makes him right in his own mind. Having a corrupt and murderer as a leader who is willing to cut off his nose to spite his face is not a rational person IMHO. If the government and the people are against the leader’s decisions, what does that say about the leader?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/world/asia/philippines-united-states-duterte.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 07:29:41 AM by Inspector »
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Kuleana

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 09:42:21 AM »
There have been many pro-American publishers sharing articles that highlight the pro-American negative geopolitical view of President Duterte's actions.  It is ironic, however, how the anti-Duterte rhetoric initially started by Obama and his minions that is not necessarily being used by Trump, is being used by Republicans.    :wtf:

First of all, with the massive drug problem in the US and the government unable to control the problem, despite its police and military prowess; it is very disgusting to see criticism of President Duterte's methods to destroy the drug problem coming from the same people who wish illegal drugs eliminated in America.

Second of all, Americans who conclude Duterte's colonial gripes with the US as mere whining, fail to see that his arguments are indeed, factual.

Duterte consistently qualifies his position based on history that Americans today refuse to recognize.  Americans seem to forget how the US was imperialistic in that they brutally fought to conquer the Filipinos after the Philippines was liberated from Spain in 1898, during the Philippine-American War from 1899 to 1902.  The brave Filipinos lost that imperial war with the US and became a colony for the next 50 years, during which time they were denationalized through their own school system and brainwashed into being "Good Brown Americans", quite similar to the educational programs that were implemented to all the Hawaiian nationals after Hawaii was illegally annexed by the US in 1898.  Unlike many Filipinos who were never given an opportunity to firmly understand how the Americans fought to conquer and subjugate them for its own geopolitical interests and not their own, Duterte and many other Filipinos are fully aware of their nation's history and understand that America's friendship still is more for the benefit of the US than for the Philippines.

Finally, similar to Trump who seems to have an endless number of haters, Duterte was still democratically elected by the people of the Philippines for the same reason that he would do anything to make his country great again.  The pro-Trump, but anti-Duterte hypocrisy is a tragedy in that the hate attributed to Duterte sounds eerily the same to that of those who despise Trump!  (e.g., Trump is a murderer and thug; Trump is corrupt; Trump has no credibility; etc.)    :shake: :shake: :shake:

Duterte's response to all his haters should be the same as Trump's response to his haters: F.U.   :shaka:

TRUMP IN 2020!    :geekdanc:

rpoL98

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 10:23:52 AM »
Although China has given the Philippines much needed military materials in their fight with Islamic extremists and drug lords as well as financial aid for domestic infrastructure projects; from President Duterte's own words, the most important thing Russia and China has given the Philippines is the genuine respect entitled to all sovereign countries.  ....
... like in the South China Sea, the Spratly Islands.

Duterte just rolled over on his sovereignty claims there, surrendered to China, in exchange for money and goods.  sold out for 30 pieces of silver.  sold to the highest bidder.

PI filed a claim with the international court, and won, and then said, never mind, my bad, here you can have it.  and thank you for the money.

it's funny as hell.  He plays the court fool of a grand Shakespearean comedy.   He just lost all credibility, all. :rofl: