TSG's .22 Glock conversion (Read 5771 times)

Rocky

TSG's .22 Glock conversion
« on: October 28, 2013, 12:10:21 PM »
        Update:
March 9 began to have FTE on G19 TSG .22 conversion (G17 conversion continued to work properly).
Clean and try again..
FTE continues.
Dis-assembled and Firing pin safety again fell out into my hand.

Contacted TSG who gave me a work order # and asked I send it in.
Sent in conversion via USPS 3/21/14 ($9.10 including $200 insurance and 3 day delivery) .

Conversion arrived back to me ( no charge :thumbsup:)  via UPS ( no charge :thumbsup:) one week after they received it.
Technician "Colt"  repaired including the following....

"I installed a new housing and extractor, polished your connector cam and ramp and re chambered the barrel, I shot 100 rounds of blazer and mini mag with no issue and I sent it back your direction.

This may have been a regular issue as you can see they changed the housing and extractor.
Extractor is now a one piece "spring" steel and no longer uses a spring inside of the housing to assist extractor.
Appears that the new housing also has changed detail of firing pin safety.
Pic 6 G19 top, g17 bottom.
pic 7 G19 w/ new housing
pic 8 G17 w/ old housing

All in all, I must say that the customer service I have received from TSG to date is OUTSTANDING   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 Will get out ASAP to try it out and update you again.

They say “you must practice a skill or move at least 3,000 times to get it down“.
When not dry fire practicing your off the mark, CQB, left handed and other skills, not always hitting your mark with 9mm can be not only depressing, but expensive !
But repetition is what is called for so AFTER procuring a fair amount of .22 ammo, me and the missus decided on .22 conversions for her Gen 4 GL17 and my Gen 3 GL 19.
             We originally looked at the American Arms (AA) version but thought that are conversions should replicate our firearms weight as close as possible to the original 9mm status.
We decided on the more expensive Tactical Solutions (TSG) .22 conversion which has a steel slide as opposed to the AA Aluminum slide and added a few more mags for good measure.
I figured the cost of both conversions would break even (ammo cost wise) after the first 3,333 .22 rounds fired. :geekdanc:
 The conversions and mags arrived on time in nice little cases, and the slides mount just like stock GL slides, no tools required and off we ran to our range with our newly “converted “ .22 Glocks and ammo.

Unfortunately, we based our purchase on the recommended ammo for the AA conversion where as the TS conversion has fewer ammo choices (one of which the ammo we had purchased, Federal Auto-Match was not), a fact overlooked with some consequences.

Bang, FTE, clear. Bang, FTE, clear. Bang, FTE, clear. Bang, FTE, clear etc….
This is no fun, we already practice our clearing at home with dummie rounds !
Maybe they need to be cleaned or broken in more?
         Removed the slide off of the GL 19 and  ½ of the Conversion Firing Pin Safety (FPS) falls into my hand. I remove the 2 TINY little screws in the slide to clean further and find the other half. Finish cleaning both slides and re-assemble, larger screw in rear of slide, smaller screw forward.

Bang, FTE, clear. Bang, FTE, clear. Bang, FTE, clear etc….   
Nope. 
That didn’t work and the GL 19 fires without the FPS feature !  ???
(The Patented GL Safe-Action Trigger still functions.)   

We slap the 9mm slides back on just to get our time in and go home to investigate.
This is where I find the ammo disparity.     :oops:
Almost $2,000.00 in conversions, magazines, shipping and .22 ammo and all are useless !   :(

Maybe 2AHawaii can help us    (see my posts for .22 buy/trade/sell .22 ammo).
Lucky for us we hook up with a great guy who feels our pain and pulls us out of the fire with an ammo exchange for Blazer, one of the three TSG recommended ammos (the other 2 being CCI® Mini-Mag HV and Federal® Game-Shok 40 grain solid) and Yeaaaaah, back to the range.

Bang.
Bang.    
Bang.   
Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang,

Flawless in both firearms.     :thumbsup:

Ironically, when the Auto-match did fire, it was more accurate than the Blazer that fed and fired consistently, but an inch or so in grouping is small price to pay when you can have that much fun and practice so cheaply (relatively speaking).
Of course it could have been our excitement. :shake:

I contacted TSG and they confirmed that the conversion will fire without the Firing Pin Safety (WTF), but will send out a replacement FPS asap.
Not sure what the FPS’ purpose is.
I also requested another set of the tiny screws as I can see easily losing those.

CONCLUSION:
        These conversions are well worth the price, especially if there are two or more of you shooting your own GL regularly. Practice with the cheaper .22 for repitition memory and motor skills then finish off the day with a few mags of 9mm.
Your memories lack of recoil with the .22 also helps the mindset when switching to the 9mm as the grip and weight remain similar.
        The ability to repeatedly fire your center fire pistol at a rim fire price will give you that ability to “practice a skill or move at least 3,000 times to get it down“  at which point it has paid for itself twice then keeps on giving.

Thank you 2AHawaii and special thanks to DaveK42 for your assistance.    :worship:

Update: 10/29/13
  250 more rounds each and all is well.
Actually started feeding and firing the Fed Auto-Match better (but not perfectly maybe 50/50) so maybe conversions will accept other ammo after break-in.
Will keep you posted !

Update:
Recieved replacement Firing Pin Safety early this week .
This one has more the look of steel as opposed to the original which had a "Bronzey" look to it.
They also included two (2) sets of the tiny screws (4).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:06:44 PM by Rocky »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

Re: TSG's .22 Glock conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »
update
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

djsmiles808

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »
Awesome review. This will be my next purchase

Rocky

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »
SEC is suppposed to be a distributor, but I got mine from http://www.cmcgov.com/
When I had issues, they directed me back to http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/ and as mentioned, service is awesome.

Can't tell you how much we save on ammo pissing .22's @ $0.06 instead of 9mm @ $0.25 each ! >:D
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:16:57 AM »

They say “you must practice a skill or move at least 3,000 times to get it down“.
When not dry fire practicing your off the mark, CQB, left handed and other skills, not always hitting your mark with 9mm can be not only depressing, but expensive !
But repetition is what is called for so AFTER procuring a fair amount of .22 ammo, me and the missus decided on .22 conversions for her Gen 4 GL17 and my Gen 3 GL 19.
             We originally looked at the American Arms (AA) version but thought that are conversions should replicate our firearms weight as close as possible to the original 9mm status.
We decided on the more expensive Tactical Solutions (TSG) .22 conversion which has a steel slide as opposed to the AA Aluminum slide and added a few more mags for good measure.
I figured the cost of both conversions would break even (ammo cost wise) after the first 3,333 .22 rounds fired. :geekdanc:
 The conversions and mags arrived on time in nice little cases, and the slides mount just like stock GL slides, no tools required and off we ran to our range with our newly “converted “ .22 Glocks and ammo.

Unfortunately, we based our purchase on the recommended ammo for the AA conversion where as the TS conversion has fewer ammo choices (one of which the ammo we had purchased, Federal Auto-Match was not), a fact overlooked with some consequences.

Bang, FTE, clear. Bang, FTE, clear. Bang, FTE, clear. Bang, FTE, clear etc….
This is no fun, we already practice our clearing at home with dummie rounds !
Maybe they need to be cleaned or broken in more?
         Removed the slide off of the GL 19 and  ½ of the Conversion Firing Pin Safety (FPS) falls into my hand. I remove the 2 TINY little screws in the slide to clean further and find the other half. Finish cleaning both slides and re-assemble, larger screw in rear of slide, smaller screw forward.

Bang, FTE, clear. Bang, FTE, clear. Bang, FTE, clear etc….   
Nope. 
That didn’t work and the GL 19 fires without the FPS feature !  ???
(The Patented GL Safe-Action Trigger still functions.)   

We slap the 9mm slides back on just to get our time in and go home to investigate.
This is where I find the ammo disparity.     :oops:
Almost $2,000.00 in conversions, magazines, shipping and .22 ammo and all are useless !   :(

Maybe 2AHawaii can help us    (see my posts for .22 buy/trade/sell .22 ammo).
Lucky for us we hook up with a great guy who feels our pain and pulls us out of the fire with an ammo exchange for Blazer, one of the three TSG recommended ammos (the other 2 being CCI® Mini-Mag HV and Federal® Game-Shok 40 grain solid) and Yeaaaaah, back to the range.

Bang.
Bang.    
Bang.   
Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang,

Flawless in both firearms.     :thumbsup:

Ironically, when the Auto-match did fire, it was more accurate than the Blazer that fed and fired consistently, but an inch or so in grouping is small price to pay when you can have that much fun and practice so cheaply (relatively speaking).
Of course it could have been our excitement. :shake:

I contacted TSG and they confirmed that the conversion will fire without the Firing Pin Safety (WTF), but will send out a replacement FPS asap.
Not sure what the FPS’ purpose is.
I also requested another set of the tiny screws as I can see easily losing those.

CONCLUSION:
        These conversions are well worth the price, especially if there are two or more of you shooting your own GL regularly. Practice with the cheaper .22 for repitition memory and motor skills then finish off the day with a few mags of 9mm.
Your memories lack of recoil with the .22 also helps the mindset when switching to the 9mm as the grip and weight remain similar.
        The ability to repeatedly fire your center fire pistol at a rim fire price will give you that ability to “practice a skill or move at least 3,000 times to get it down“  at which point it has paid for itself twice then keeps on giving.

Thank you 2AHawaii and special thanks to DaveK42 for your assistance.    :worship:

Update: 10/29/13
  250 more rounds each and all is well.
Actually started feeding and firing the Fed Auto-Match better (but not perfectly maybe 50/50) so maybe conversions will accept other ammo after break-in.
Will keep you posted !

Update:
Recieved replacement Firing Pin Safety early this week .
This one has more the look of steel as opposed to the original which had a "Bronzey" look to it.
They also included two (2) sets of the tiny screws (4).

Update:
March 9 began to have FTE on G19 TSG .22 conversion (G17 conversion continued to work properly).
Clean and try again..
FTE continues.

Sent in conversion via USPS 3/21/14 ($9.10 including $200 insurance and 3 day delivery) .

Conversion arrived back to me ( no charge :thumbsup:)  via UPS ( no charge :thumbsup:) one week after they received it.

"I installed a new housing and extractor, polished your connector cam and ramp and re chambered the barrel, I shot 100 rounds of blazer and mini mag with no issue and I sent it back your direction.

This may have been a regular issue as you can see they changed the housing and extractor.
Extractor is now a one piece "spring" steel and no longer uses a spring inside of the housing to assist extractor.
pic 7 G19 w/ new housing
pic 8 G17 w/ old housing

All in all, I must say that the customer service I have received from TSG to date is OUTSTANDING   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Update 4/16/14

Aloha TSG, Jehae and Colt.

Thank you again for your prompt, courteous and professional assistance with your product.
We have gone to the range and classes after Colt's work was performed and are very happy with the results.  ;D

We were originally looking at the AA conversion and had purchased some 10,000 rnds of  .22 Federal Auto-Match 40 gr. prior to purchasing a conversion as there was no sense having a conversion and no .22 ammo, something scarce hereabouts.
    After some research, we decided on the TSG, but apparently paid no heed to the different ammo requirements.  :(

Upon seeing the new extractor configuration, we wondered if other ammo types might now operate properly with the system and have found that the .22 Federal Auto-Match 40 gr. cycles quite nicely and is actually a bit more consistent as well as accurate.   
These results could also have been due to Colts additional work .  :worship:

I believe TSG might want to test the new extractor (and Colt's improvements) with alternative .22 ammo types/brands to make this conversion more appealing as specific .22 ammo particularly Blazer and CCI are in high demand and short supply.  :(

Again, Mahalo for your GREAT SERVICE:thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:  :
We will be posting our experience on our web sites.

I am soooooooooo happy !   ;D  ;D   ;D
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »
        Update:
Clean and try again..
FTE continues.

pic 7 G19 w/ new housing
pic 8 G17 w/ old housing

Update 4/16/14

Aloha TSG, Jehae and Colt.

Thank you again for your prompt, courteous and professional assistance with your product.
We have gone to the range and classes after Colt's work was performed and are very happy with the results.  ;D

We were originally looking at the AA conversion and had purchased some 10,000 rnds of  .22 Federal Auto-Match 40 gr. prior to purchasing a conversion as there was no sense having a conversion and no .22 ammo, something scarce hereabouts.
    After some research, we decided on the TSG, but apparently paid no heed to the different ammo requirements.  :(

Upon seeing the new extractor configuration, we wondered if other ammo types might now operate properly with the system and have found that the .22 Federal Auto-Match 40 gr. cycles quite nicely and is actually a bit more consistent as well as accurate.   
These results could also have been due to Colts additional work .  :worship:

I believe TSG might want to test the new extractor (and Colt's improvements) with alternative .22 ammo types/brands to make this conversion more appealing as specific .22 ammo particularly Blazer and CCI are in high demand and short supply.  :(

Again, Mahalo for your GREAT SERVICE:thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:  :
We will be posting our experience on our web sites.

I am soooooooooo happy !   ;D  ;D   ;D

UPDATE
10/05/16

GL17 and GL 19 FTE, FTF   >:(
   Slide on the G17 does not return all the way back when going into battery.
About a 1/16" of frame is seen.
G17  barrel must be pushed slightly at muzzle to activate slide release.
Barrel appears cut at breech from ejector.

GL 19 just FTE, FTF

Last service by TSG was  4/14 

Contacted TSG and they immediately sent me a mailing label.  :o
Shipped to TSG 10/5
Received by TSG 10/13
Issue resolved  and shipped back to me. 10/19
I receive the conversions back from TSG 10/25 

In Repair Authorization from "Colt" .  :worship:

Notes:
"Upgraded parts, re-chambered, polished ramps, shot each conversion 80 rnds w/no issues."

Though there is no specific list of "Upgraded parts, it appears to me that the GL 17 now has the upgraded ejector which solved many ammo choice issues in my GL19, a new firing pin and new front spring retainer.
 GL19 has the upgraded ejector, new firing pin, new front spring retainer and also appears to have a new spring !  ;D

Again, my Kudos to TSG and Colt for EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE !  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Other businesses should take note on how to stand behind their product and take of their clients !  :sleeping:

TACTICLE SOLUTIONS (TSG)
www.tacticalsol.com

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:13:38 AM by Rocky »
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt