Instructors chat (Read 29951 times)

zippz

NRA Trainers Update NRAAM2018
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2018, 05:54:55 PM »
NRA Trainers Update NRAAM2018

I attended the NRA Trainers Update at the NRAAM 2018 in Dallas.  Room was packed with NRA Instructors and Training Counselors from across the nation waiting for news on new programs and updates to existing courses.

1.  All NRA Instructor level courses will require a prereq to take the student course.  Online course registration pages will reflect this change in the near future.
2.  Promoting Women on Target which is a "First Steps" like course specifically for women and to expand into that demographic.  Curriculum has been updated and is online on the instructor page.  https://wot.nra.org/
3.  Brett Simon (sp?) is the new NRA training manager.
4.  The Basics in Pistol Shooting book is being updated.  The content is mostly the same with a few additions and updated graphics.
5.  A new NRA instructors forum is being developed so instructors can share ideas, find new information, and ask questions.  TC's will moderate the forum.
6.  Adaptive Training
    -  Adaptive training material will be added to the TC course and also included in future BIT classes.
    -  People w/amputations may use more energy doing things, so you may have to allow for more time and give them a break if they are tired.
    -  Spinal cord injury students have to be watched as they may not feel pain.  For example leaving a flashlight on their lap that is left on could burn them.
    -  Never assume.
    -  When using a sign language interpreter, look at the student while talking instead of the interpreter.
 7.  The trainers at "Gun for Hire" range in NJ received the distinguished trainer of the year award.  They are willing to help instructors by allowing them to audit classes and helping with refreshers.
8.   Send any training tips and problems you find to NRA Training section.

Carry Guard

The NRA Carry Guard CCW program is still alive.  I thought it died when LOCKTON Insurance broke their connection to the NRA, but it's still going.  There is a new NRA CCW course that is being released this weekend which is flexible and modular to fit different state requirements.  The class can be between 1 to 16 hours long with or without live fire and can include state specific legal instruction.  The first half of the class is similar to Basic Pistol while the 2nd half is focused on CCW.  NRA is giving the class free to TC's tomorrow so I'll writeup more info on it.  I'll be the only TC trained from Hawaii so I'll teach it to other TC's and instructors when I get back.

There is also new Carry Guard training which is meant for CCW holders to receive additional training.  There are 4 levels:  Basic, Intermediate, Advanced, and Scenarios.  The basic class will be considered advanced for most CCW holders.  Students must already have a CCW permit to attend these classes.  The classes include shooting from different positions, shooting and exiting vehicles, low light, barricades, and scenario practice.  Shooters scoring distinguished in the courses will be offered the instructor level course.  Courses start in June through August.  https://www.nracarryguard.com/training/

The Carry Guard classes sound exciting and challenging.  I'm going to work on getting those 4 instructor certs so I can teach it back at home.  Not many opportunities for this type of training in Hawaii.  I still want to attend the Sig Sauer CCW instructor course.

Next Carry Guard expo is coming up in September.  I might go.  Let me know if you're interested in attending too.  So many things to do, so little time (and money).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:01:40 PM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

Re: NRA Instructors Update NRAAM2018
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2018, 05:58:48 PM »
As always, I'll help any NRA Instructor or candidates with questions, training, and help with their class.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

Re: Instructors chat
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2018, 02:54:52 PM »
I can't talk too much about the NRA CCW course since its still a work in progress.  It looks very promising and I feel will benefit people in Hawaii.  There's no start date for the class since they're still working on it, but Ill teach it to other TCs and instructors when it's officially released.

The NRA taught the class for free so it saved me about $1,000+.

zippz

« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2018, 11:09:44 AM »
NRA TC forum

There is a nra training counselor message board to help provide input for NRA training programs.  If you are a NRA TC and want to help, msg me your name and email so I can get you added.

changemyoil66

« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2018, 11:31:09 AM »
The issue would be finding somewhere that allows live fire to put practice into play.

zippz

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2018, 10:41:31 PM »
The issue would be finding somewhere that allows live fire to put practice into play.

There's opportunities out there for CCW practice if you know where to look...
HDF Open Shoot - Last Saturday morning of the month.  Have to arrive early to setup your own target.  Not sure if they allow shooting from appendix carry.
Puuloa Pistol Days - Rarely scheduled.  Public needs to be sponsored on.
Schofield Rod and Gun - Public needs to be sponsored on and guest policies are restrictive.  Membership (for military and affiliated) is a hassle.
Honolulu Firearms and Range - Ammo is expensive.  May be crowded on the weekends.
X-Ring - Need to take their CCW course or pay for a holster draw evaluation.  Ammo is expensive.  No coaching or instruction allowed.
Post SASH - Last Sunday afternoon of the month, have to get permission from the club

macsak

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2018, 05:19:21 AM »
There's opportunities out there for CCW practice if you know where to look...
HDF Open Shoot - Last Saturday morning of the month.  Have to arrive early to setup your own target.  Not sure if they allow shooting from appendix carry

no IWB/AIWB or shoulder holsters

changemyoil66

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2018, 09:35:20 AM »
The only place that I get to practice is HFR.  I'm not paying X-Ring any extra to "qualify" for IWB draw.

Both ranges for ammo and usage are about the same price. 

zippz

« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2019, 11:10:10 AM »
NRAAM 2019 Instructor Update Review

I didn't attend NRAAM this year but I found this instructors review put together by some attendees.   They said NRA will be publishing a recording of their update session in the future.

Listen to the podcast at http://www.firearmtrainerpodcast.com/2019/05/02/bonus-2019-nra-meeting-instructor-update/

Something's I got out of it:
1. The new Basic Pistol student books will be out in q3.
2.  NRA CCW program is running.  I saw the instructor PowerPoint and lesson plans on the portal so I'll be teaching a class this summer and hopefully find time to train the other TCs.  Think I'm still the only TC/instructor for it in Hawaii.
3.  Carryguard is dead.  Training has been suspended and the expo will fall under a different name.
4.  Improving instructor phone support.
5.  Implementing TC support network for instructors.
6.  Improving instructor shirt availability
7.  Winchester marksmanship program is unbranded now.
8. Cash youth awards available
9.  Competition wavers available for those with disabilities through the instructor network.

Also talk about hiring and expanding the training division.  Sounds like they had turnover, probably in part to all the NRA allegations floating around.

As a training counselor I'm available to assist fellow instructors or help you with refreshers if you haven't taught for a while
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:17:30 AM by zippz »

changemyoil66

« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2019, 02:36:23 PM »
LMK if you have a CCW class. I'll attend.  Already got the permit that I need, so it's just a extra learning thing for me.  Maybe Mrs.CMO also, depending on her schedule.

zippz

« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2019, 08:03:25 AM »
Instructor class live fire at Koko head.  Got my NRA targets made.   30 lin level 1 Target and 15 inch instructors targets with a 10 inch scoring disc.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk