HIFICO 2020 Legislature Firearms Bills(see 1st post) (Read 43384 times)

zippz

Re: HIFICO 2020 Legislature Firearms Bills
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2020, 11:21:25 PM »
Hunters got some good initial victories with SB2417 which strengthens hunting rights passing it's first comittee.  But also a loss with HB1862 which removes bag limits.  Hunter's believe removing bag limits may lead to eradication of game animals due to uncontrolled over hunting.

The prosecutors office called me about my opposition to SB2188 confiscation of firearms used during a first hunting offense, some of which are very petty offenses.  They said it was not their intention to grab firearms, just animal parts and products procured during the violation such as illegal ivory trafficking.  We came to a mutual understanding to amend the bill.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

punaperson

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2020, 07:11:06 AM »
Senate Public Safety watered down these two bills a lot.  They hate grandfathering magazines and HPD will not like registering a quarter million magazines.

Unfortunately Rhoads will probably remove the amendments.
Registration of magazines ain't going to happen...  nope
Exactly how are they going to serialize any magazines that are brought in to be registered?

My humble suggestion is 100% civil disobedience: Not one single person register one single magazine. Oh, wait, what was I thinking, this is Hawaii... not Virginia, or Texas, or Wyoming or....

If Rhoads changes it back to a total ban... same thing... don't turn any in. ANY.

drck1000

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 07:30:42 AM »
Thursday is the First Lateral deadline where all bills with 2 or more committee hearings needed (joint committees count as 1 hearing) will die.  Though there are always ways around things.

Last weeks Senate PSM reports are out.  SB2519 Mag ban passed by a very narrow margin w/grandfathering and magazine registration.  SB2635 Ammo checks is watered down to the point of being useless(more so than before) where they just check your firearms training documents instead of firearms registration forms when buying ammo.  They went draconian with SB2437 Legalizing electric guns by amending it to have the same seller and buyer requirements as firearms ie permitting, registration, store FFL like requirements, etc.  SB3054 requiring notice to PD within 5 days of a firearm permanently leaving the state had it's penalty removed which saves many servicemembers and other law abiding citizens from getting a criminal history for forgetting to report it.  SB2943 Ghost gun bill is dead so odds are the House version will die in the Senate too later on.  SB3053 .50 Caliber ban is also dead so your muskets and Desert Eagles are safe for now.

The turnout and testimonies from last week Thursday's senate hearing did make a difference.

Still waiting for the House reports to come in though the HB1600 loaning firearms ban is dead, probably thanks to Rep Buenaventura.  Companion SB2811 hasn't been in Senate committee so loaning is ban is probably dead.  HB1615 intoxication is dead which surprised me.   Also dead are HB2710 for unconstitutional search for firearms and HB2631 on having HPD check everyone's mental health record some more.

Unfortunately HIFICO's 2 sponsored bills are going to die without a committee hearing HB2479 and SB2728 reimbursing legal fees and lost wages for innocent due to self defense verdicts.  I was hoping it would get a good discussion and be accepted by a lot of people but not this year.  Still have 2 stand your ground bills which could come up later.
Good work Zips! I was quite impressed by the turnout for Senate and House. The NRA rep was quite good too. Awesome. Hope the trend of involvement continues. I have a bunch of notes that I planned on sharing, but been too damn busy. One key one was how the House committee, or at least a few members, seemed quite on the ball and asked pointed questions. Surprised me when Say and Bonaventura asked about “don’t these laws only impact law abiding citizens” (or something like that). That they were open, or seemed open to dialogue. Not like the Senate.  In the end, there were changes made in the Senate bills, so good to see impact there.

tillamook

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2020, 08:12:03 AM »
Exactly how are they going to serialize any magazines that are brought in to be registered?

My humble suggestion is 100% civil disobedience: Not one single person register one single magazine. Oh, wait, what was I thinking, this is Hawaii... not Virginia, or Texas, or Wyoming or....

If Rhoads changes it back to a total ban... same thing... don't turn any in. ANY.

I would call it civil ignorance.  Stopped by my local gun store yesterday and they had a list of these bills out and they said that everyone they were talking to (except me) had no idea any of it was coming.   If something like that gets passed 99% of people will have no clue, magazines will not get registered and the people will only find out when they try to buy a new magazine.  Some people I know who do get educated on laws are pumping out their own 80% when previously they were by the book.   So instead of reducing guns by squeezing harder on these laws, all they did was cause the locals to flood the supply with unserialized firearms.   Since the police here take 2 hours to show up for 911 (if at all),  Im thinking that this is the new trend.   Just like making all fireworks illegal in honolulu made it much worse than where they started. 

6716J

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2020, 08:50:53 AM »
SB2635 Ammo checks is watered down to the point of being useless(more so than before) where they just check your firearms training documents instead of firearms registration forms when buying ammo. 

Still gonna hurt the Boy Scouts, etc.. What if " I ", who does not have any of the listed docs because I don't have a P2A, a HG safety because I am just importing personal handguns in with a PCS and am not a hunter, want to buy .22 ammo for the shooting camps?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

tillamook

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2020, 09:41:59 AM »
Still gonna hurt the Boy Scouts, etc.. What if " I ", who does not have any of the listed docs because I don't have a P2A, a HG safety because I am just importing personal handguns in with a PCS and am not a hunter, want to buy .22 ammo for the shooting camps?

I bought my friend a box of ammo yesterday as a gift.  I only did it to prove that the law will be stupid.  I may have an active CHL in another state, I have had at least 50 background checks in my life including the federal one for a C&R FFL. I've been finger printed several times.     But I cant be trusted because I dont have a Hawaii approved BS requirement. 

So frustrated that there are basically zero bills this year to improve medical care in the state but we get 45 gun bills instead. 

zippz

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2020, 11:27:51 AM »
FYI when writing testimony for stuff like CCW and legalizing tasers.  You can oppose the bill, but next to it put you support CCW or whatever but oppose the heavy restrictions on it.

Or else it looks like you're opposed to CCW and Electric Guns.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 11:03:57 PM »
First lateral deadline hit, meaning bills with 2 or more hearings remaining are dead (except for joint committees) but there is a very small chance some could come back.

No new hearings

Some house reports with amended bills are up. 

HB1902 incorporated elements of HB2232 regarding taking into account of mental health of minors.
HB2292 Electric Gun legalization was amended with the same permitting and registration as the senate version while removing sellers from having to retake safety training every 3 yerars.
SB2518 Carry permits was amended to requiring instead of authorize the granting of carry licenses under EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES.

Some hunting reports with amendments too.

Expect to have a Senate JDC with Sen Rhoads sometime within the next 2 weeks.

6716J

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2020, 02:16:30 PM »

SB2518 Carry permits was amended to requiring instead of authorize the granting of carry licenses under EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES.

Now that you're dead, you now have proof that there is an EXCEPTIONAL CASE for you to have a CCW, we shall be granting it to you.

zippz

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2020, 11:10:56 PM »
Very little movement lately on firearms and hunting bills.  Expecting Rhoads Judiciary (JDC) committee to hear the Senate bills sometime next week so prepare to take some time off work to attend.  We want another good showing as this is our last reasonable chance to stop .  Odds go down a lot after this.  There's still a chance to see Stand your Ground and changes to the long gun permit in the Lee's Judiciary, but the window is closing.

HB1902 magazine ban has had an unusual journey as McDermott spoke and voiced his opposition to merging of the 2 bills (HB2232) and the vote was delayed for floor amendments.  For 2nd reading it had 14  yes w/reservations and no votes which is pretty high, but still short of the 26 needed to stop a bill.  It would be very difficult to turn all 11 reservation votes to noes, and add 12 more noes for the third reading floor vote which was delayed to 2-27-20.  There are some gains to be found such as the republican votes and other moderate democrats such as Kong and Quinlan and others we can turn.  But we'd still be far short.  Perhaps someday when we can get thousands of people to support to win.  We still have to try our best to support those that want to help us but face enormous pressure not to.  Also to show that we are gaining in power and unity. There were some amendments to it, the main one changing the implementation date to 2050 to ensure it gets into conference committee at the end.  I still have to review the bill and see what else changed in it.

HB2709 Firearms and estates was also floor amended with a 2050 date.

HB2744 gun violence commission and HB2736 ammo checks are headed for 3rd reading too.  Perhaps I could get HB2744 shelved for not going through the Finance committee which it should have since there are appropriations for 2 full time staff.

All these bills 3rd reading floor votes will be on Thursday 2-27-20 due to the 5 day recess (no floor sessions during that time).  There's still other House gun bills that need a 3rd reading vote.

Heavies

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2020, 12:22:48 AM »
What kind of pressure are they having to pass these unconstitutional laws?  It's not pressure from the overwhelming opposition we've been putting on them.  Its obvious it money pressure. They are all bought and paid for.  Damned be the Constitution and liberty to these SOBs!

Freaking pissed....

MassConfusion

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2020, 11:12:14 AM »
I've only got 2 cents.... they taxed the rest.
I've been thinking, how many 'representatives' do we have in the house and senate?  Is that really enough? What is representation per capita?
Is there anyway maybe we could double the numbers of 'representatives' in each body?  I do realize it could be a double edged sword.  I for one do not feel like I am being represented. Not sure recall would help if that is even an option.
Pretty sure it is a mission impossible, not even sure how you would go about it.  Referendum? Thousands of people at the capitol?(yeah right)
Maybe we could get some people in there that will actually represent us and our opinion. 
It seems that working through the system as is now is a dead end. 
Here is another idea.  We should have them issued sport jackets with the names of their 'sponsors' embroidered on them. Have fun with that one, might run out of room.  Of course the more money you 'donate' to them the larger their font will be.  Pretty sure their districts will be small on located somewhere near the tails of the coat.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 11:21:58 AM by MassConfusion »
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
 “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” ― Mark Twain

zippz

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2020, 07:38:55 PM »
Going to have lots of activity this coming week.  A couple hunting bills early in the week, electric guns, then Senate firearms bills on Thursday at the Capitol.

zippz

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2020, 10:11:37 PM »
Not sure if this helps, but it describes all the opportunities to provide testimony for the committee and readings for each active bill, including the 2 hunting related ones at the end.

Best I can explain it since people are getting confused on how many times and which bills they have to testify on.  Any suggestions welcome

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:22:59 PM by zippz »

zippz

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2020, 08:17:57 PM »
I attended hearings for HB2292 Electric Guns w/restrictions and HB1748 forfeiture of firearms today.  Very few testimonies for or against, mainly government departments.  HB2292 is low on the priority list as we focus on the Senate bills.  This bill will likely die on it's own anyways in the House or Senate.  The Senate version will likely die since Rhoads didn't schedule a hearing for it yet so House version would likely share the same fate.  I did get quite a few questions from the committee members as my testimony revolved around the overblown dangers of Tasers.  I did get one funny one when I explained you could buy a Taser on Amazon.  One of the reps tried searching for electric guns on Amazon and said there was one that shoots BB's.  I'm trying not to laugh and stay respectful so I said I dunno.  She was probably looking at airsoft.

HB1748 received the same concurrence from the Hon Prosecutors office as companion SB2188 to remove the 1st firearm forfeiture and focus on ivory trafficking.

Got a small ray of sunshine today where SB2417 "Recognize game animals as a food source" was saved from the trash heap and got scheduled for a WAM hearing on Wednesday.  It took quite a bit of work to get that done but it paid off.

ren

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2020, 09:59:26 PM »
these elected officials aren't listening to us. I'm surmising that because we have the lowest voter turnout in the nation they can shove legislation like this against our constitutional right. They think they can get away with it because voters are too busy trying to make ends meet here in Hawaii.
Deeds Not Words

zippz

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2020, 08:36:40 PM »
these elected officials aren't listening to us. I'm surmising that because we have the lowest voter turnout in the nation they can shove legislation like this against our constitutional right. They think they can get away with it because voters are too busy trying to make ends meet here in Hawaii.

The bigger problem is a lot of voters aren't educated in Constitutional rights and why they're important.  You get very complacent in today's society without the imminent fear of losing a war, starvation, tyranny, etc.

zippz

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2020, 01:11:36 AM »
Tracker updated, lots of bills died, others on 3rd reading on Tuesday, and the rest crossover to the other chamber.

More updates later when I get a break.  updates are a little slow as I'm burned out from all of this.

tillamook

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2020, 07:47:47 AM »
So the electric gun bill is dead.  Supreme court has already said that banning them is unconstitutional and the state is ignoring that.  So I guess that means the president has to enforce the supreme court decision which is not going to happen. 

So there is really no avenue for fighting a law in Hawaii then.  you cant use the courts, you cant get the state rulers to overturn their decisions...

So I guess that means why follow the law if it all gets ignored in the end anyway?

on a side note, I wanted to test a patient yesterday for coronavirus and the department of health wont allow it because the patient did not travel to china....I guess they havent noticed the virus in 80 other countries.     we are so screwed.   

6716J

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2020, 09:43:03 AM »
So the electric gun bill is dead.  Supreme court has already said that banning them is unconstitutional and the state is ignoring that.  So I guess that means the president has to enforce the supreme court decision which is not going to happen. 

So there is really no avenue for fighting a law in Hawaii then.  you cant use the courts, you cant get the state rulers to overturn their decisions...

So I guess that means why follow the law if it all gets ignored in the end anyway?

on a side note, I wanted to test a patient yesterday for coronavirus and the department of health wont allow it because the patient did not travel to china....I guess they havent noticed the virus in 80 other countries.     we are so screwed.

Essentially then, you have to do what is Constitutionally and lawfully protected, get arrested, lose your rights, then sue and hope to get to The Supreme Court before you are broke, dead or both