Defend Hawaii? (Read 21106 times)

Heavies

Defend Hawaii?
« on: October 04, 2010, 07:43:31 PM »
Excuse my ignoance, and at the risk of dating myself(not into the "in" things these days), what the heck is that Defend Hawaii thing all about?  Is it like a firearms thing?(the m16 on the sticker)  ???

Antithesis

Re: Defend Hawaii?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 07:50:31 PM »
Ya, I had the same question too.  Apparently it's a clothing trend from the mainland:
http://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=417.msg1761#msg1761
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
If you wish for peace, prepare for war

Heavies

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 09:06:10 PM »
^^  Oh I see. ^^

Hawaii’s Royalty Streetwear Company.
To Defend Hawaii, is to defend the spirit of aloha. It is the resolve, accomplishment and state of mind, that is perpetuated through our culture and traditions. So that generations to come will live in our footprint. No where on God’s green earth can mirror the unconditional acceptance and support we show to family and strangers alike. It is our duty to preserve this spirit. To Defend Hawaii is to defend aloha; by any means necessary.

But I still don't get the M-16 in the logo  ???   Do they mean to say if you don't have the 'Aloha Spirit' you'll be shot? Hehe  :rofl:

Well, I think I'll sport the 2aHawaii tee instead! :thumbsup:

stegosaurus

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 09:12:27 PM »

I think the M-16 is just something they thought was cool to put. Pretty trendy among streetwear these days. Do a quick Google search on brands like Rogue Status, Crooks & Castles and 10 Deep and you'll see what I mean. The kiddies love that stuff.
"When you outlaw guns, only the outlaws have guns."

nf9648

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 09:46:34 PM »
The logo idea was taken from the "Defend Brooklyn" tshirts...

kaylorinhi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheep, Sheepdog's, and Wolf's; which are you?
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:31:06 AM »
Kinda like kids in college studying business management but wearing a "Che" Guevara shirt I think? :wacko:
Buy your guns by yardline, not looks!

Deeeeviant

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 09:17:56 AM »
Personally I think it's retarded (no offense to anyone that does like the apparel), but to each their own.

Heavies

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 09:42:15 AM »
Personally I think it's retarded (no offense to anyone that does like the apparel), but to each their own.

+1 on that :rofl: , and also, I think it could be a bad thing for the 2A cause.  I was just thinking... I thought it was some sort of gun rights group, and if the kids, or whom ever, was acting like punks and such, That would give a bad impression to the public.  JMHO

Dregs

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 09:58:40 AM »
Yeah I always hated that defend hawaii thing. It gives the impression of several things. Something like a unofficial militia. Or (true story) as some people came up to me, they were afraid it meant anti-haole/"foreigners". I mean come on. You can't put crap like that up where tourism is the lifeline of the economy.

So it definitely puts a negative image on the 2A community of Hawaii.

octomon

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 02:44:18 PM »
To Defend Hawaii, is to defend the spirit of aloha. It is the resolve, accomplishment and state of mind, that is perpetuated through our culture and traditions. So that generations to come will live in our footprint. No where on God’s green earth can mirror the unconditional acceptance and support we show to family and strangers alike. It is our duty to preserve this spirit. To Defend Hawaii is to defend aloha; by any means necessary.

So I take it that a bunch of sharks teeth lashed onto a 2x4, just wouldn't do?

Antithesis

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 04:13:02 PM »
Yeah I always hated that defend hawaii thing. It gives the impression of several things. Something like a unofficial militia. Or (true story) as some people came up to me, they were afraid it meant anti-haole/"foreigners". I mean come on. You can't put crap like that up where tourism is the lifeline of the economy.

Yeah that's what I took it to mean too.  Namely because a number of people wearing the "Defend Hawaii" shirts seem to have that same, hate haoles/foreigners chip on their shoulders. 
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
If you wish for peace, prepare for war

Alex Europa

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 02:14:57 AM »

Yeah that's what I took it to mean too.  Namely because a number of people wearing the "Defend Hawaii" shirts seem to have that same, hate haoles/foreigners chip on their shoulders.

Ahem, that seems to fly in the face of the Defend Hawaii site!

No where on God’s   green earth can mirror the unconditional acceptance and support we show   to family and strangers alike.

Are you trying to say that there are people who DON'T unconditionally accept strangers?!  >:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist!  :shaka:

- Alex
Americans don't retreat...they reload!

"It's just natural to want to shoot someone when you don't agree with them" - Joan Peterson, Million Mom March Chapters’ national representative to the Board of Directors of the Brady Campaign

Alex Europa

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 02:19:29 AM »
As an aside, I can imagine how bad it would look if "The Man" authorized open carry and you saw people walking around Waikiki in Defend Hawaii shirts with BFGs strapped to their hip.

- Alex
Americans don't retreat...they reload!

"It's just natural to want to shoot someone when you don't agree with them" - Joan Peterson, Million Mom March Chapters’ national representative to the Board of Directors of the Brady Campaign

Dregs

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 05:50:54 AM »
As an aside, I can imagine how bad it would look if "The Man" authorized open carry and you saw people walking around Waikiki in Defend Hawaii shirts with BFGs strapped to their hip.

- Alex

I might as well quit my job and look for another line of work. lol.

BMWRider

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 08:48:37 AM »

Dregs

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 09:24:45 AM »
lol