Must Have Tools for Range Bag (Read 7500 times)

drck1000

Must Have Tools for Range Bag
« on: July 07, 2019, 03:03:26 PM »
What are your must have tools for your range bag? What are some tools that you have found yourself needing while at the range (and you may or may not have at home)? What are some tools that you are wanting to get for your range bag?

I almost always have a plier type multi-tool in my bag. That’s come in handy many times. Beyond that, I usually have tools for what I’m shooting, mostly in a ziploc bag. I’ve recently added a small socket type screw driver with an assortment of bits. The standard bits as well as hex and torx. All have come in handy.

If rifle, stuff like coin for adjusting the optic, optic wrench or adjustment tool, iron sight tool. Can improve most of those though.

If handgun, I had been at the range before and didn’t have a hex for the set screw for the rear sight and was SOL when no one else had it. Otherwise, handguns haven’t needed many tools. Holsters in the other hand always seem to need some tweaking.

I’ve seen some folks who bring tool chests to the range. Personally, I like to keep my tools in a smaller pouch about the size of a travel toiletry kit, or smaller.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 04:00:39 PM by drck1000 »

zippz

Re: Must Have Tools for Range Bag
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 03:14:41 PM »
Bit Set

Torque screwdriver

leatherman multitool
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Lihikai

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 03:26:46 PM »
+1 on the driver & bit set.   Sectional cleaning rod is good to have when you need to knock out a stuck case.

macsak

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 03:32:55 PM »
intruments...

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 03:36:45 PM »

Tom_G

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 04:59:02 PM »
Driver and bit set, but HOLLOW GROUND. (Emergency repairs are no reason to bung up your screws!)
Allen keys (if not included in the bit set).
Dry, clean rag.
Another dry, clean rag.
Oily rag.
Small container of lube (I use silicon grease).
Small container of cleaner (I have teeny spray can of Ballistol).
Surplus ear plugs (I give these away with some regularity).
Magnifying glass.
Pen.
Another pen.
Tiny spiral notebook.
Non-marring hammer.
Weedeater line (for checking for obstructed barrels).
Surplus eye protection.
Toilet paper in a ZipLoc bag.
2" paint brush (better than anything else for getting dust out of crevices).
Drift punches.
Sectional cleaning rod.
Small flashlight (usually this is in my pocket).
Spam musubi.
Another spam musubi.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 06:21:04 PM »
Bit Set

Torque screwdriver

leatherman multitool
I have a Vortex torque driver for scope mounts, but don't keep it in my range bag.  Just keep the standard ratchet driver.

+1 on the driver & bit set.   Sectional cleaning rod is good to have when you need to knock out a stuck case.
I have a USGI M16 cleaning kit that has a sectional rod.  Luckily haven't used it for the stuck case, yet. . . I had planned on shooting more steel case, so if/when I do, would be good.

drck1000

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 06:26:36 PM »
Driver and bit set, but HOLLOW GROUND. (Emergency repairs are no reason to bung up your screws!)
Allen keys (if not included in the bit set).
Dry, clean rag.
Another dry, clean rag.
Oily rag.
Small container of lube (I use silicon grease).
Small container of cleaner (I have teeny spray can of Ballistol).
Surplus ear plugs (I give these away with some regularity).
Magnifying glass.
Pen.
Another pen.
Tiny spiral notebook.
Non-marring hammer.
Weedeater line (for checking for obstructed barrels).
Surplus eye protection.
Toilet paper in a ZipLoc bag.
2" paint brush (better than anything else for getting dust out of crevices).
Drift punches.
Sectional cleaning rod.
Small flashlight (usually this is in my pocket).
Spam musubi.
Another spam musubi.
I've found that torx and both metric and SAE hex are useful.  I actually do have a hollow ground set.  :D
Have punches and hammer when shooting handgun, but not always.  Usually if I'm checking sights.  But probably good to have anyways. 
Good point on the extra ear plugs.  Often forgotten item.  Unfortunately me included.  :(
Spare eye pro usually covered if I drove since I have a few pairs in the car.  If I didn't drive, then I better not forget.  Haha
Flashlight and pen. . . check
Maybe a spam musubi, but no extra. . .
Good point on the weedeater line.  I'll have to throw some in my bag.  I have plenty around my dad's house.  That or zip ties.  Can always use zip ties. 

Tom_G

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 08:33:25 PM »

Maybe a spam musubi, but no extra. . .

Dude, with no extra musubi, how you gonna give one to your bud?
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 08:40:15 PM »
Always go shooting with people who bring everything plus the kitchen sink.  Then you'll never be without.    :geekdanc:

If this sounds like you, be sure to bring extra food, drinks and ammo as compensation.    :thumbsup:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Bota-CS1

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 08:57:44 PM »
Stapler and staples....lots of staples just in case you run out of bullits.  Bird seed to feed the chickens  :shaka:
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

Tom_G

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 09:02:45 PM »
Stapler and staples....lots of staples just in case you run out of bullits.  Bird seed to feed the chickens  :shaka:

FUnny... my OTHER range bag has targets, staples, stapler, 'nocs, and spotting scope. Plus a couple of clean, dry rags. But if I'm not punching paper, I don't want to carry that extra weight, so... second bag.

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 10:09:19 PM »
Dude, with no extra musubi, how you gonna give one to your bud?
Usually coffee and donuts and maybe a mini bento. If I’m meeting the black powder guys, more donuts.  ;D

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 10:12:22 PM »
Yup on the stapler and staples. Also need to be the right “caliber” staples for the stapler. I’ve done that before where I brought an older stapler that takes narrower staples and the regular size staples. :facepalm:

Heavy duty staples can also be used to repair shot up target stands. Especially useful when shooting with newbies. Or Mac  :rofl:

rklapp

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 11:12:42 PM »
Mags... extra mags...
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

stangzilla

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 05:27:24 AM »
A digging tool for the target stand holes. Can also use their tool at kokohead too, but sometimes my own tool comes in handy
I use a thick knife I dont mind getting dirty
If too much dirt, I'll use the kokohead tool

Squeegee for wet table

Ziploc bags

Microfiber towel

Water

Sunscreen

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 08:23:08 AM »
A digging tool for the target stand holes. Can also use their tool at kokohead too, but sometimes my own tool comes in handy
I use a thick knife I dont mind getting dirty
If too much dirt, I'll use the kokohead tool

Squeegee for wet table

Ziploc bags

Microfiber towel

Water

Sunscreen
Luckily I haven't had the need to really clean out the stand holes.  Usually just need to pick out some splintered sticks. 
Thick knife I don't mind getting dirty?  Most of my knives, but mostly the Kershaw ones.   ;D

I usually have microfiber towels in my bag as well.  Especially when shooting in the action bays as the dust there can be really bad.  Also usually have regular towels as well.  Always have a lot of water when at the range.

Any particular tools that you've found (or other revolver gurus) useful for revolvers?  I think most of mine have slotted screws of various sizes.  I don't envision doing much to my revolvers other than maybe changing out grips.  I have a few that have adjustable sights, but if anything else went wrong, I'd probably be looking for help anyways.   :crazy:   

changemyoil66

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 10:29:08 AM »
1) IFAK (2 TQ, Quikclot , Israeli Bandage, athletic tape, bandaids, gauze, 2 sets of blue rubber gloves)
2) Star wrench for SIG Romeo5 (in butt stock compartment on AR)
3) Extra battery for above (in butt stock compartment on AR)
4) Towel for face ( I swear plenty)
5) 2 Sharpies (someone always needs 1)

I was looking into buying a Leatherman/multi tool.

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 10:42:35 AM »
1) IFAK (2 TQ, Quikclot , Israeli Bandage, athletic tape, bandaids, gauze, 2 sets of blue rubber gloves)
2) Star wrench for SIG Romeo5 (in butt stock compartment on AR)
3) Extra battery for above (in butt stock compartment on AR)
4) Towel for face ( I swear plenty)
5) 2 Sharpies (someone always needs 1)

I was looking into buying a Leatherman/multi tool.
Was mostly referring to tools to work on guns, but I also always have an IFAK w/TQ in my range bag as well as usually have a smaller one kit and TQ on my belt if I'm shooting in the action bays (not for USPSA/IPSC though).  I also have a "fuller" one in my car.  Which is a good reminder since it's been a while since I've checked and replaced items in that one.  Always wary that being in the hot sun during the week will degrade some of the items. 

I too usually have extra batteries for my rifle optics as well as electronic ear pro.  I have found that I need to change the batteries of my ear pro much more often than anything else since I use it often.  I recently bought a bunch of lithium AAA and AA, so may be good time to switch out just because. 

You "swear plenty"?  And how does the towel help that?   ;D  Just kidding.  I get pretty sweaty as well.  While I've somewhat gotten used to the sweaty hands and shooting, certainly good to have towels on hand. 

Sharpies always come in handy.   :thumbsup:

Leatherman tools are great, but can also be pricey.  Gerber is an economical alternative.  I have both and I am able to put Gerbers in my range bag, car bag, etc since they aren't that expensive. 

macsak

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 10:59:18 AM »
Heavy duty staples can also be used to repair shot up target stands. Especially useful when shooting with newbies. Or Mac  :rofl:

I put the target all the way on the right side of the frame, so I do less damage to the frame
lol
heads