Light for AR with Pressure Switch Setups & Recommendations (Read 4606 times)

drck1000

Light for AR with Pressure Switch Setups & Recommendations
« on: July 01, 2019, 09:33:17 AM »
Those of you who have lights with tape switches on your AR's (or have used them before), I would appreciate some examples of setups that you used. 

What light? 
Surefire M300 and M600 series?  Arisaka body?

What mount? 
Looking at Arisaka inline and offset mounts.

Pressure switch?
Any good package deals with lights?
Any lessons learned on what works for you or what didn't?
I recall a few mentions about this, but can't seem to find many.

I have X300 on a couple of guns and a Surefire G2x with Haley Thorntail mount on another.  Looking for something that has the light at in the 1-3 o'clock or 9-11 o'clock zones for use with an LPVO.  There are so many options and these lights seem to be much more pricey than the x300 series. 

changemyoil66

Re: Light for AR with Pressure Switch Setups & Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 09:54:52 AM »
Thanks for posting this, I was looking to add a light on my AR soon also (my bday coming up).  I'm not a fan of the zip ties on the handguard.  I like a more clean look.

Q

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 10:06:06 AM »
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 09:19:20 PM by Q »

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »
Olight PL-Pro
Thanks!  I found a couple of YouTube reviews, which one was by Mr. Gunsngear.  I'll watch when I have chance. 

I already have a few x300s and this seems very similar.  I envisioned putting an x300 on either side of the side of M Lok rail that this will go on.  I am ok with that, but I was looking at the Surefire M series setups.  Those are pricey, so that may end up steering me away.  But I was looking something other than my current setups with the x300 on top of the rail (12 o'clock) position, where I assumed it would conflict (at least some) with the LPVO. 

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 11:41:22 AM »
When it comes to budget: always streamlight protac rail mount. Pressure switch and basic mounting hardware is included.
The streamlight TLR-1 is also a good option for AR but wire pressure switch is a separate item.

For dedicated mounts if you don’t want to use the built in picatinny one: Arisaka or Haley strategic thorntail, proctor.
Inline or offset is based on your preferences. I like my lights sitting at the 1:00-2:00 side unless I have a laser.

Optional dedicated pressure switch mount: cloud defensive.

Other WML options: Surefire m300 or m600, Arisaka, Modlite, Fenix.

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 11:47:54 AM »
You can also pick up surplus Surefire M951 or M952 and get the malkoff conversion or whatever bulb upgrade.
The upside is that you will get 300-something lumens compared to the original 65 lumens, but you will lose the IR illumination function. 

Nostayhome

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 01:03:35 PM »
I have a streamlight protac on a shotgun and like it.

drck1000

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 01:24:21 PM »
When it comes to budget: always streamlight protac rail mount. Pressure switch and basic mounting hardware is included.
The streamlight TLR-1 is also a good option for AR but wire pressure switch is a separate item.

For dedicated mounts if you don’t want to use the built in picatinny one: Arisaka or Haley strategic thorntail, proctor.
Inline or offset is based on your preferences. I like my lights sitting at the 1:00-2:00 side unless I have a laser.

Optional dedicated pressure switch mount: cloud defensive.

Other WML options: Surefire m300 or m600, Arisaka, Modlite, Fenix.
Seems like Arisaka has a good reputation and a wide selection of stuff.  I just wish they has combo packages.  At least I haven't seen them.  I was looking into them for light bodies and mounts not that long ago and it seemed like I had to assemble what I wanted.  Rings, separate from the base plate (connector to Mlok, Keymod, pic, etc), and more.  At that time, I sold my upper with the Haley thorntail mount and light, so I just moved that over the the new upper and stopped looking.  The Cloud Defensive LCS does seem to have good reviews though. 

I have a streamlight protac on a shotgun and like it.
I have a bunch of Protac lights from the 1L-1AA, 2L-X, and HL, but all handheld.  They've all held up well.  Haven't used them mounted on a gun. 

Bota-CS1

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 10:32:32 PM »
Surefire 300 Scout hooked up to an SR-07

Surefire 600DF with just a thumb cap since it’s set up on my left side - easier to activate with my thumb.

Surefire 300 Scout  hooked up to a Surefire dual pressure pad.

Surefire has a good reputation for quality. All of these are mounted on Arisaka mounts that put the ligh as close to the handguard as possible.  I don’t like lights hangin out on the 3 and 6 position where they increase the overall width of the rifle.  I’ve never gotten my lights hung up on anything when I did have them setup that way, but would rather have the peace of mind.

The Arisakas are good quality, it’s just that they don’t have the run time as the Surefire. 

If budget isn’t an obstacle check out the Modlites and the Cloud Defensive OWL.  All good options if you just need visible lights and you’re not running nods.  They’re expensive since they’re new, but they seem to be worth it. 

Try not to get hung up on lumens as candela is more of a factor as to whether you’ll be able to see something distinctly in the dark.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:42:02 PM by Bota-CS1 »
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 02:12:51 PM »
Surefire 300 Scout hooked up to an SR-07

Surefire 600DF with just a thumb cap since it’s set up on my left side - easier to activate with my thumb.

Surefire 300 Scout  hooked up to a Surefire dual pressure pad.

Surefire has a good reputation for quality. All of these are mounted on Arisaka mounts that put the ligh as close to the handguard as possible.  I don’t like lights hangin out on the 3 and 6 position where they increase the overall width of the rifle.  I’ve never gotten my lights hung up on anything when I did have them setup that way, but would rather have the peace of mind.

The Arisakas are good quality, it’s just that they don’t have the run time as the Surefire. 

If budget isn’t an obstacle check out the Modlites and the Cloud Defensive OWL.  All good options if you just need visible lights and you’re not running nods.  They’re expensive since they’re new, but they seem to be worth it. 

Try not to get hung up on lumens as candela is more of a factor as to whether you’ll be able to see something distinctly in the dark.
Thanks!  So far think it's between the 600 DF and Arisaka M600 latest model (higher lux), but still researching.  Gonna wait at least until 4th of July sales.  One thing I did note was that the Arisaka lights listed on SKD seem to be an older version.  The output seems to be much lower, but for same list pricing. 

I have a bunch of Surefire lights as well, but none of the scout lights.  Have a bunch of X300 (older and early ultras).  One is actually going back to Surefire soon. . .  :( 

For the mounts, my initial preference was something in the 11 o'clock position.  One gun has the M lok slots at the 45 degree faces (BCM KMR) and another doesn't (Geissele). 

Looked at the Modlites.  They are pricey, but not too bad.  Surefire and Arisaka are leading for now because of dual fuel.  Saw some videos on the Cloud Defensive OWL as well. 

Noted on the lumens vs candela, and lux as well.  Learned about those with the various lights I already have.  Mr. Gunsngear's videos also show the differences pretty well.  It's amazing at how the lights have changed over the years.  From Maglites, which I thought were awesome when I was a kid and even the 150-180 lumen Surefires. 

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 04:55:40 PM »
Mounted the light on my LPVO setup

Surefire M600 DF (it’s bright!)
Surefire DS07 switch assembly
Arisaka offset mount
Cloud Defensive LCS

Mocked up a few different configurations and this is that I settled on, at least for now. Not sure if I like it as the switch is quite a bit taller than I thought. Will have to shoot this setup some and see. Love the light though and will likely stick with that. Just not sure about the switch. Also a little concerned about the weight, but not sure how much lighter other options would be.

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 09:36:41 AM »
Do you know if there are any issues with the wire melting?  Or is it made from a special rubber that's more heat resistant than normal.

macsak

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 09:46:52 AM »
Do you know if there are any issues with the wire melting?  Or is it made from a special rubber that's more heat resistant than normal.

i think if there were issues, we would have heard about them from others

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 10:39:10 AM »
No

I’ve shot guns with the cable near the barrel in AR, Tavor, Scar, etc. Some have been shot to the point where it’s painful without gloves and I haven’t personally seen an issue. Like you mentioned, I’m sure it would have been caught if it did. A quick google search turns up some threads discussing this concern and perpetuation of it via various sources (gun shop and others).

I’ve also seen mounting solutions with zip ties, rubber bands, etc. Haven’t seen or heard of issues with those elements and they aren’t designed or made with that specific application.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 02:52:49 PM by drck1000 »

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 02:11:57 PM »

I dont talk to others about their flashlights...fleshlights yes, but flash, no.

aieahound

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2020, 10:13:57 PM »
TLR-1 no pressure switch.
Magpul forend with a rail or any railed forend.
You can run it super easy with your thumb either temporary on as you need it or just on.
It intuitively goes where your thumb goes.
And it’s easy to mount on and off.
I’ll try to post a pic.
(Poor man’s suggestion but works)

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 03:51:07 PM »
TLR-1 no pressure switch.
Magpul forend with a rail or any railed forend.
You can run it super easy with your thumb either temporary on as you need it or just on.
It intuitively goes where your thumb goes.
And it’s easy to mount on and off.
I’ll try to post a pic.
(Poor man’s suggestion but works)
What side of the hand guard do you have yours on?

I don't have any guns with the Magpul hand guard, but they seem quite popular.  Same with the TLR-1.  I know many who have that light on their pistols and rifles, both ARs and AKs.  A couple of those are "ranch rifle" types that take a beating.  One buddy has the high lumen version and it's plenty of bright for long guns.  I've noticed that the "heat zone" of the TLR and x300 isn't as focused as say the Surefire Scout lights, their throw is quite good. 

And if it works for you, it works for you.   :thumbsup:

WTF?Shane

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 12:00:33 AM »
What side of the hand guard do you have yours on?

I don't have any guns with the Magpul hand guard, but they seem quite popular.  Same with the TLR-1.  I know many who have that light on their pistols and rifles, both ARs and AKs.  A couple of those are "ranch rifle" types that take a beating.  One buddy has the high lumen version and it's plenty of bright for long guns.  I've noticed that the "heat zone" of the TLR and x300 isn't as focused as say the Surefire Scout lights, their throw is quite good. 

And if it works for you, it works for you.   :thumbsup:

Sounds like on the support hand side, so 9 o'clock position if right handed.

I have a X300 on the 3 o'clock position. Kind of ass backwards, but because I copied a picture of a military M4 setup. With a little LARPing around my house, the switch position works pretty good. Operate the light paddle switch with the index finger and laser with the thumb. Same for shooting on non-dominate side.

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2020, 09:28:18 AM »
Sounds like on the support hand side, so 9 o'clock position if right handed.

I have a X300 on the 3 o'clock position. Kind of ass backwards, but because I copied a picture of a military M4 setup. With a little LARPing around my house, the switch position works pretty good. Operate the light paddle switch with the index finger and laser with the thumb. Same for shooting on non-dominate side.

SNIP
Looks like a solid setup.  :thumbsup:  I know at least two well respected shooters (at least I very much respect them) have the same setup on at least one of their guns.  My preferred is the X300 at 12 o'clock in front of a fixed front sight.  No laser for me. . .  :( A least on any gun currently. . .  ;)  For your particular setup, I think I would have it the same way. 

For the gun with Surefire G2 on Haley Thorntail, I have the light at 10:30 position.  It's slightly out in front of my support hand when shooting, but I can easily hit the tailcap button from either side. 

For the gun with the Surefire M600 and pressure switch, the light is at 1:30 position.  I have the tailcap with the activator button along with the pressure pad.  I tried putting the light at 10:30 first, but the cable coming out of the tail cap messed with my support hand when shooting righty (dominant side).  I think I could push the light out further to mitigate that, but I wanted to keep the light a little further back for now.  I have the pressure switch with the Cloud Defensive LCS, which does a good job of securing the switch and routing/securing the cables, but it also raises the pressure switch a little.  Just enough that I can see my hand ever so slightly through the LPVO.  It doesn't obscure the reticle at all and I don't think it will bother me, but I did notice it when LARPing.  I'll have to shoot with this setup and see.  When I shot the LPVO setup in a carbine class, it was without the light and pressure switch.