Ambidextrous Firearm Features - Preferences and Opinions (Read 16735 times)

drck1000

Re: Ambidextrous Firearm Features - Preferences and Opinions
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2018, 11:55:39 AM »
Did you install the safety as 45 degree throw or 90??
90. Didn’t try the 45, but that was something I wanted to try out though.

groveler

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2018, 01:59:50 PM »
Due to my assignment in the USAF, I was required to qualify right handed and left handed firing of  an M16.
Timed firing and accuracy.
The major problem is getting used to the brass flying out of the gun across your face.
I'm not fully ambidextrous but I can do everything left handed, albeit much slower.
I have broken my right hand many times so I had lots of practice going "lefty".

drck1000

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2018, 02:07:47 PM »
Due to my assignment in the USAF, I was required to qualify right handed and left handed firing of  an M16.
Timed firing and accuracy.
The major problem is getting used to the brass flying out of the gun across your face.
I'm not fully ambidextrous but I can do everything left handed, albeit much slower.
I have broken my right hand many times so I had lots of practice going "lefty".
So what you're saying is that you are your own ambidextrous firearm feature. . .  :thumbsup:  ;D

I have a few friends who are pretty close to true ambidextrous for athletic stuff and both of them broke their dominant side arm when they were younger and that forced them to do stuff with their "off hand".   

groveler

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2018, 04:51:35 PM »
So what you're saying is that you are your own ambidextrous firearm feature. . .  :thumbsup:  ;D

I have a few friends who are pretty close to true ambidextrous for athletic stuff and both of them broke their dominant side arm when they were younger and that forced them to do stuff with their "off hand".
I suppose that was my point, although I have not mastered left handed batting.

Surf

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2018, 08:19:44 PM »
Late to this party, but #1, I am EXTREMELY HAPPY to see guys excited about training here in Hawaii and doing a lot of mental push-ups in regards to their strengths and more importantly weaknesses and wanting to explore options.  I also appreciate guys "trusting", but wanting to "verify" information first hand.  Warms my heart!

As for ambi, I have always been fortunate to be reasonably ambi throughout my life in most sports, like baseball, soccer, golf, and shooting.  I have been a long time proponent of becoming more efficient with the support side, despite the old school dogma of "consistency of platform," and to "train for higher percentages."  While I generally agree, I am a bit more open-minded, and my answer has always been if you have the time to train more skills to proficiency the better off you are.  If time and resources are limited stick to the basics until you can pull them off in your sleep.  If you have the ability, mastering more skills increases your efficacy.   

robtmc

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2018, 10:39:39 AM »

Yabbut, it is a painful training method............. :shake:

drck1000

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2018, 01:00:19 PM »
Yabbut, it is a painful training method............. :shake:
Sometimes lessons are best learned the hard way. . .  :(

:rofl:

Rocky

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »
Recently installed an ambi charging handle (gift).   :love:
Still working on it.  :-\
Should be receiving an ambi safety today so I can work on a "New"' technique/requirement for reloading AR.   :grrr:
My thumb just didn't seem to reach the regular safety fast enough   :P  so with an ambi safety, I should be able to "sweep" the safety back with my dominant trigger finger but still drop it with my dominant thumb.   :D
(I'll bring your oil Saturday  :oops: )
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2018, 03:15:10 PM »
Recently installed an ambi charging handle (gift).   :love:
Still working on it.  :-\
Should be receiving an ambi safety today so I can work on a "New"' technique/requirement for reloading AR.   :grrr:
My thumb just didn't seem to reach the regular safety fast enough   :P  so with an ambi safety, I should be able to "sweep" the safety back with my dominant trigger finger but still drop it with my dominant thumb.   :D
(I'll bring your oil Saturday  :oops: )
You can't (eta) reach the safety with your right thumb?  Due to past injury?

Ok on Sat.  Is DJ going to be there too?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:13:13 PM by drck1000 »

zippz

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2018, 04:03:55 PM »
You can't safety with your right thumb?  Due to past injury?

I find flipping the lever to safe is a bit more difficult to do quickly when doing things like reloads and transition to pistol.  About an extra one or two tenths of a second for me.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Rocky

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2018, 07:07:52 AM »
You can't (eta) reach the safety with your right thumb?  Due to past injury?

Don't think it's due to my gloved past injury cuz  that's my left hand (non-dom)  :crazy:
I can reach it but just have difficulty pushing it up  fast enough to suit my needs for that particular drill.
It's  like I lack the motion or strength.
That " extra one or two tenths of a second for me"  is deemed unacceptable.

Additional practice made little improvement. :'(

Yup, along with our buddy who could not make the journey with us last time.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2018, 07:27:59 AM »
Yup, along with our buddy who could not make the journey with us last time.
Cool.  I'll have the AK that I was chatting with DJ about in the last class.  I had most of the parts then, but finally got around to putting it together. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:07:34 AM by drck1000 »

drck1000

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2018, 08:17:01 AM »
I got to fiddle with the Radian Talon in the 45 degree throw configuration last night.  Went over to a friend's house and he was showing off his Noveske rifle with Geissele trigger (the trigger seemed pretty sweet).  The way that the 45 degree throw works keeps the right side tab on the safety a little higher.  It still hit my trigger finger, but less than if it was in the normal 90 degree throw configuration.  So much to try.  Might have to install it on another lower and try it out this weekend too.  So much to try out, so little range time.  And so little ammo. . .

;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2018, 09:25:53 AM »
I got to fiddle with the Radian Talon in the 45 degree throw configuration last night.  Went over to a friend's house and he was showing off his Noveske rifle with Geissele trigger (the trigger seemed pretty sweet).  The way that the 45 degree throw works keeps the right side tab on the safety a little higher.  It still hit my trigger finger, but less than if it was in the normal 90 degree throw configuration.  So much to try.  Might have to install it on another lower and try it out this weekend too.  So much to try out, so little range time.  And so little ammo. . .

;D

It's good to practice with other peoples mods, this way if your life ever relied on picking up someone else's rifle, you minimize the "surprise" of the ergonomics of levers and buttons.  The 1st time I tried the Talon, it set me back a second or 2.  So imagine if under stress.

This is also why I power stroke and don't use the slide release.  On my wifes M&P9c, its a slide lock, not a release.  So when we were at a HDF pistol class, we all had to use each others guns.  When it came for others to use hers, they fumbled a lot trying to release the slide with the slide stop.  We had to shout "POWER STROKE".  This is even after telling them to power stroke prior to the evolution starting.  It was a timed team evolution.  So seconds matter.

drck1000

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2018, 09:55:48 AM »
I was surprised how the ambi safety rubbed my trigger finger.  I thought I had shot guns with ambi safeties before and I don't recall noticing that.  I assume it was because I had been reading about people's experience with ambi safeties and the impact of the trigger finger was something that came up often.  Wondering if I might not have really noticed if I hadn't read about it.  Well, will see this weekend if it really bothers me when shooting. 

The only other ambi features that I noticed messes me up is the BAD Lever.  Mostly because of the space it takes above the trigger guard.  I've also seen where people inadvertantly activated the level.  Something I think I assume I could get used to if I wanted to use that device, but so far, not one that is high on my list to try. 

drck1000

« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2018, 01:16:49 PM »
Shot with the KAC ambi safety yesterday.  Didn't notice the lever on the right side really at all when shooting.  I thought it might be a nuisance after trying some dry fire.  Didn't shoot lefty yesterday, so didn't get a chance to see if the ambi safety helped in that regard. 

I did shoot another gun with the Radian Talon with the 45 degree throw and that seemed interesting.  Something I'll have to try and compare against the KAC ambi safety. 

drck1000

« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2018, 10:48:25 AM »
Geissele ACH FINALLY arrived yesterday.  Almost 4 weeks after order.  Swapped out the BCM CH and was doing some dry manipulations.  Since I'm used to the BCM CH and similar one from LMT, the ACH felt a little different using the left side CH, but seemed ok.  Using the right side of the CH for the first time was awkward.  Not sure if my right hand isn't used to operating the CH or if I was pulling at a wrong angle, but seemed like I had a harder time getting the CH all the way back.  I think that's mostly from never having used an ambi CH before, but something that I noticed.  My overall first impression was somewhat of a MEH, but with the realization that I'll have to give it some time.  Not something that made me want to get one for my other ARs.   

I've not done malfunction clearance left that much.  When I did, I mostly used the over the top method since the latch is on the left side, and similar to how I envision most AR users work the stock CH.  Not one handed from the right side, mirroring what I would do when I shoot righty. 

Seems like a quality product, but just will have to see how it works for me.