Gun Bill Hearing. 01/29/2013 @2pm (Read 29064 times)

Heavies

Re: Gun Bill Hearing. 01/29/2013 @2pm
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2013, 06:32:04 PM »
 :thumbsup: :shaka: O0 :shaka: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :shaka: :shaka: :shaka: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Awesome job folks!!!!

WE NEED THIS TYPE OF SUPPORT ON ALL THESE BILLS!!  MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!! :thumbsup: :shaka:

drck1000

Gun Bill Hearing. 01/29/2013 @2pm
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2013, 06:53:24 PM »
Outstanding!

I got an email from Rep Saiki, probably from one of his staffers saying that I'll get a response to my email within a week. They were flooded with emails!  Then it was awesome to hear that this bill died in committee!

Lets keep on top of this. This was just the first probe. The big ones are coming up! 

Jaydawg

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2013, 07:23:43 PM »
Just reviewed the testimony.  Overwhelmingly opposed with 2 in support.  1 of the 2 in support, I think, made a mistake because his testimony was against the bill.

HiCarry

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2013, 07:53:22 PM »
GREAT Job!!

I have heard that the bill was killed in committee, but am waiting for official verification (although with so many reporting in, I suspect it's true...), but regardless, it was a great showing. We flooded the hearing room, we buried them in testimony, and we showed them that we are a united, and powerful, group of voters!

And, while I truly thought everyone did a wonderful job, this was the "easy" one. We can't sit back and gloat now....I say that because on the more "hot button" issues like the "Assault weapons" ban, ammunition ban, etc., the opposition groups will be larger and better organized. There was basically only one group that supported this measure, and it was the plaintiff's attorneys that make their living over suing over things like firearm accidents. When we go up against the AWB folks, they will have more info and they will attempt to use what they so often do, emotion.

So, don't think we have reached our high water mark. And, this is not a comment on everyone's efforts, as they were great, but we need to do more. When the AWB bill comes up, we need to send in thousands of pieces of testimony. We had 600 signatures on the HRA petition to reform the firearms registration process, we should be able to get at least that much for the AWB.

I strongly suggest that you review the list of antigun (and progun) bills and begin writing your testimony now. Don't let an unexpected change in scheduling (yours or the legislature's) be the reason you couldn't submit testimony.

Once again, GREAT job every one!

macsak

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2013, 07:57:55 PM »
great news

but you are correct in that the big battles are to come
in addition to having your testimony ready, be sure to keep all your 2a friendly friends and relatives informed via email text phone FB twitter
make sure they know what to do when
we don't stand a chance if we don't stand together

GREAT Job!!

I have heard that the bill was killed in committee, but am waiting for official verification (although with so many reporting in, I suspect it's true...), but regardless, it was a great showing. We flooded the hearing room, we buried them in testimony, and we showed them that we are a united, and powerful, group of voters!

And, while I truly thought everyone did a wonderful job, this was the "easy" one. We can't sit back and gloat now....I say that because on the more "hot button" issues like the "Assault weapons" ban, ammunition ban, etc., the opposition groups will be larger and better organized. There was basically only one group that supported this measure, and it was the plaintiff's attorneys that make their living over suing over things like firearm accidents. When we go up against the AWB folks, they will have more info and they will attempt to use what they so often do, emotion.

So, don't think we have reached our high water mark. And, this is not a comment on everyone's efforts, as they were great, but we need to do more. When the AWB bill comes up, we need to send in thousands of pieces of testimony. We had 600 signatures on the HRA petition to reform the firearms registration process, we should be able to get at least that much for the AWB.

I strongly suggest that you review the list of antigun (and progun) bills and begin writing your testimony now. Don't let an unexpected change in scheduling (yours or the legislature's) be the reason you couldn't submit testimony.

Once again, GREAT job every one!

Jaydawg

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2013, 08:22:56 PM »
wait what??
The committees on JUD recommend that the measure be PASSED, WITH AMENDMENTS. The votes were as follows: 5 Ayes: Representative(s) Rhoads, C. Lee; Ayes with reservations: Representative(s) Belatti, Brower, Wooley; 6 Noes: Representative(s) Har, Ito, Kawakami, Tsuji, McDermott, Thielen; and 2 Excused: Representative(s) Cabanilla, Carroll. The recommendation was not adopted.

macsak

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2013, 08:38:11 PM »
recommendation was to pass
nos were greater that yesses
so the recommendation was NOT adopted
meaning it did not pass

wait what??

Jl808

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2013, 08:45:58 PM »
The committees on JUD recommend that the measure be PASSED, WITH AMENDMENTS. The votes were as follows: 5 Ayes: Representative(s) Rhoads, C. Lee; Ayes with reservations: Representative(s) Belatti, Brower, Wooley; 6 Noes: Representative(s) Har, Ito, Kawakami, Tsuji, McDermott, Thielen; and 2 Excused: Representative(s) Cabanilla, Carroll. The recommendation was not adopted.

It means the committee brought it up for voting... 5 ayes and 6 noes.

2 Ayes: Rhoads, Lee
3 Ayes with reservations: Belatti, Bower, Wooley
6 Noes: Har, Ito, Kawakami, Tsuji, McDermott, Thielen

2 Excused: Cabanilla, Carroll

That was a close one!  Great job everyone!   There are more bills to fight! 

Maybe a good time to say thank you to the Reps that voted no. 
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

macsak

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 08:54:39 PM »
it is telling that even with an avalanche of opposition, the vote was so close
we've got an uphill battle when the tougher bills come up
please everyone, look at what we're up against and double your efforts

It means the committee brought it up for voting... 5 ayes and 6 noes.

2 Ayes: Rhoads, Lee
3 Ayes with reservations: Belatti, Bower, Wooley
6 Noes: Har, Ito, Kawakami, Tsuji, McDermott, Thielen

2 Excused: Cabanilla, Carroll

That was a close one!  Great job everyone!   There are more bills to fight! 

Heavies

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2013, 09:05:26 PM »
These pompous bastards! They voted  that close with all but a couple of supporting views. Goes to show how these people represent the constituent.   I hope this makes some sort of news and they point this fact out!  Anyone know any reporters?

RKBA

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2013, 09:12:57 PM »

Good idea. It's important to show support to those who support us.

I'm also firing off an e-mail to those who still supported the bill in spite of its overwhelming opposition. They'll probably ignore it since I'm not a constituent of theirs, but I don't care. I agree with those saying we need to continue keeping the pressure on. There are thousands and thousands of firearm owners across this State. Legislators like taking the path of least resistance. With anti-gun bills, they've been getting away with it for too long. The paradigm has to shift and this is a good start. Good job to all of those that submitted testimony. It's easy and it does work.  :shaka:

macsak

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2013, 09:35:04 PM »
good point, RKBA
those who voted yes, even with reservations, should be reminded that they are responsible to the people, and voting yes in the face of overwhelming opposition is not responsible
they need to be informed that they are being watched

Good idea. It's important to show support to those who support us.

I'm also firing off an e-mail to those who still supported the bill in spite of its overwhelming opposition. They'll probably ignore it since I'm not a constituent of theirs, but I don't care. I agree with those saying we need to continue keeping the pressure on. There are thousands and thousands of firearm owners across this State. Legislators like taking the path of least resistance. With anti-gun bills, they've been getting away with it for too long. The paradigm has to shift and this is a good start. Good job to all of those that submitted testimony. It's easy and it does work.  :shaka:

pastordennis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Isaiah 55:11
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2013, 09:43:34 PM »
The democrats really have contempt towards us citizens. But the locals keep voting them inn......

clshade

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2013, 10:51:15 PM »
Dennis, here in Hawaii that is about like saying "The democrats really have contempt towards themselves. But they keep voting themselves in..."

hnl.flyboy

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2013, 12:18:12 AM »
I heard HiCarry, Funtimes, PastorDennis, and a few others' names as they were calling out all the written testimony.  It was amazing that we had overwhelming opposition to this bill!  We need to keep this up and squash the other anti-gun bills and overwhelmingly support the pro-gun bills as well.  If we can do this over and over again, we can definitely make changes here in Hawaii!

Tapping out a paragraph or two and clicking "Send" wasn't so hard, now was it?  ;)
LEX MALLA, LEX NULLA

FPC, SAF Life, HDF Life, GOA, HRA, Fun Factory VIP

ross1459

« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2013, 01:09:46 AM »
Chairman Rhoades tried to gut and replace the bill right before the vote, killing other exemptions to absolute liability. Thielen stopped him by asking for the amendments in writing and postponing a vote.

Ito brought up that the exemptions were only passed six months ago and it has not been tested by time yet, so even hearing the bill is a waste of time. Also that it is suspicious that the bill was referred only to JUD, and not public safety. Mr. Gerwig testified that the only result of the exemptions was to increase the number of LIFE instructors from 10 to about 30. This was very convincing for the committee.

Belatti was indifferent, and appeared to be playing a game on her laptop the entire time.

Vice chair Har spoke about her experience taking a course from LIFE and what a great job they do.

It was also brought up by Thielen and McDermott that the committee represents the people and the huge number of people that cared enough to show up and testify in opposition to this bill was the key influence in their deciding to vote nay.

Up until HB 426 came up, the room was packed! Standing room only. After testimony finished, there were only about 5 people in the room.

Vice chair Har said that there were more than 360 testimonies opposed and only one supporting.

To me, this means that packing the conference room when these bills come up for hearing is more important than packing the grass fronting the capitol. I also think they will try to make the more serious measures like HB30, SB36, and SB219 will go to hearing quieter, with less warning for people to get off work. Sending the bill to JUD instead of public safety will only be the beginning of the politico tricks.

I also got to hear an HPD brass testify about replica firearms right before the committee recessed to vote. He said that "any criminal in the right circle can buy a stolen glock for 5-600 dollars, whereas they could only buy a stolen airsoft gun for around 100 dollars." I can't believe HPD came to testify that gun control is completely ineffective. If anyone can FOIA the tape, I would love to see it again.

Jaydawg

« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2013, 04:37:09 AM »
Thanks for the updates everybody.

Colt808

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2013, 06:02:54 AM »
If anyone can FOIA the tape, I would love to see it again.
It's public record and was aired live on 'Ōlelo and will repeat later in the week.  TiVo it or request a copy from Capitol TV (info@capitoltv.org) or maybe 'Ōlelo (www.olelo.org).

Not sure how much the charge these days, but the Beta tapes of my testimony from the 80's an 90's were $10.
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. ~Thomas Paine

And I still see stupid people.

Colt808

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2013, 06:13:50 AM »
The democrats really have contempt towards us citizens. But the locals keep voting them inn......
I wouldn't go as far as saying that...Some might, but most don't. Regardless of party alignment, it's just politicians being politicians.
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. ~Thomas Paine

And I still see stupid people.

Surf

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2013, 07:29:20 AM »
I made it for the hearing and it was nice to see a large turn out.  I was able to speak and I am glad I did so.  While I do not teach the public, I am a certified NRA instructor in multiple disciplines and it is patently obvious for the need for quality education in regards to being a responsible and safe firearms owner when mandated by the State for a safety course being required in the instance of handguns.  Overall, especially after the comments from ITO, HAR and Thielen, I am quite surprised to see such a close split in votes.  It was my impression that as ITO mentioned, that there was no legitimate reason for this to be in consideration before the committee.  I would have thought that the vote would not have been so close.  IMO, if not for the large turnout it may have easily gone the other way.  This just goes to show how deeply entrenched the attitude is here in Hawaii.

As Jaydawg mentions law enforcement, do not be surprised at how many in LE actually oppose more restrictive firearms legislation.  What is often misunderstood is the support in LE.  What needs to be clear is that any administration where the CLEO is put into place by say a Commission, that CLEO will tend to have the same stance as the local majority.  If they don't they will adopt one or they will not last beyond one term.  What also needs to be understood is that once an individual becomes an administrator and no longer covered under any union support they often become a part of that administrative system.  At this point they usually support the command staff especially if they wish to progress any further up the rank structure.  I would venture a guess that the majority of those in LE, particularly those guys on the streets, actually oppose the most restrictive types of legislation such as those proposed here in Hawaii or by the current President.

I have mentioned before that LE can be an asset, however there is definitely seems to be a negative relationship with the local Hawaii firearms enthusiasts / groups and LE in general.  That is obvious especially when just reading threads on this site.  I have also experienced it in person on several occasions, however a great number of my interactions are indeed positive.  While there are those that fully support LE and voice it, the negative interactions are always the ones that cut the deepest and are not easily forgotten.  Now is the time for enthusiasts to come together no matter what job they do and show support on these topics.  Hope to see continued support in the future and if you can make it to these hearings, it does make a difference.