How Many Women Here? (Read 20109 times)

Funtimes

Re: How Many Women Here?
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 11:47:31 AM »
Ahh, the caliber war starts :P

If you go .40 s&w, you might as well go .45acp. From what I have seen, it is much easier to shoot for women than .40 is. Of course you could always use a 9mm with hollow points or bonded ammunition. Just my opinion.

I would have went with a .45. I got such a good deal on my Glock 22C though it was to good to pass up.  I paid 395 for the gun, night sights, a rubber grip, two magazines, and a laser max in gun laser =p. Plus 50 bucks for FFL shipping +Transfer from Florida to Georgia.  I think anything is better then nothing, even its a .22 pistol, I would just prefer larger caliber =p. I also think the use of hollow / hydrashock is beneficial.

Heavies

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 03:01:42 PM »
For .22 SD, high velocity solids, or hollow points?  I would think solids for penetration.
What's you guys take?

vooduchikn

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »

AHHH..the good old caliber war....

Shot placement under duress vs available rounds is what counts for me.  We have all seen "that" guy with the giant revolver or Desert Eagle in .50AE that couldn't hit the target if it was duct-taped to the barrel.

9MM is fine IMHO with appropriate ammo (ammo that you have run through the gun and shoot reliably... I think this goes for ALL guns). I would steer clear of ball ammo for anything other than the range. Make sure you practice with your defense ammo as well in any semi-autos to ensure your gun likes that ammo brand.

I have all 3 calibers (9MM, .40SW, .45ACP) and like them each independently for certain reasons.

I like the SIG 9MM in the home (large capacity/DA-SA/wife and I both shoot it very well)
I like the GLOCK 40SW on the carry (decent capacity/not to heavy, ease of operation--RELIABILITY)
I like my 1911 in .45ACP (because its badass! ;D  ) )
Relax, I've banned myself..

Old Guy

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 07:55:35 PM »
Any firearm the Lady can shoot well can be Her SD gun.  Caliber really doesn't matter UNLESS the BG is high on Drugs and is
majorly pumped up.  In which case even 12 ga slugs won't work unless it's a Central Nervous System hit.

Jim Cirillo of the NYPD stake out squad hit a robber with 3 rounds of 12 ga before the BG went down.

Here in Honolulu, a Large male person of South Pacific ancestry(begins with an S) took 3 good chest hits at close range from a
HPD officer's AR15.  "Stop, I gotta rest"  sat down and then expired, but not immediately.

Motorcylce Officer Stan Cook put 17 rounds from his issue 9mm in another large person of South Pacific ancestry(on drugs), he was
shooting at Officer Cook with an AK-47.  Officer Cook was hit 7 times, either directly or by ricochets.  As I was told
Cook REloaded and put # 17 into the Head.  That ended the fight.

Point is, under Normal non drug situations, almost any caliber will do as long as the BG has an ounce of thinking brain.

Put it this way,  Is there any one of you who laugh at a small caliber(25 auto not includer), be willing to take 10+ shots from a 22?

As long as the woman doesn't loose it like in TV, ANY gun in her hands is better than none.

vooduchikn

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
Any firearm the Lady can shoot well can be Her SD gun.  Caliber really doesn't matter UNLESS the BG is high on Drugs and is
majorly pumped up.  In which case even 12 ga slugs won't work unless it's a Central Nervous System hit.

Jim Cirillo of the NYPD stake out squad hit a robber with 3 rounds of 12 ga before the BG went down.

Here in Honolulu, a Large male person of South Pacific ancestry(begins with an S) took 3 good chest hits at close range from a
HPD officer's AR15.  "Stop, I gotta rest"  sat down and then expired, but not immediately.

Motorcylce Officer Stan Cook put 17 rounds from his issue 9mm in another large person of South Pacific ancestry(on drugs), he was
shooting at Officer Cook with an AK-47.  Officer Cook was hit 7 times, either directly or by ricochets.  As I was told
Cook REloaded and put # 17 into the Head.  That ended the fight.

Point is, under Normal non drug situations, almost any caliber will do as long as the BG has an ounce of thinking brain.

Put it this way,  Is there any one of you who laugh at a small caliber(25 auto not includer), be willing to take 10+ shots from a 22?

As long as the woman doesn't loose it like in TV, ANY gun in her hands is better than none.

OG. I agree. Each situation will be different.  Drugs (Meth/Coke/etc) require an extra degree of "punch" or shot placement.  I read a story on about a police officer that fired nearly two clips of .40SW (PD ammo) and struck the BG in vital areas multiple time during the exchange. The guy was sober, but amped up on adrenaline for fear (possibly, noboby was able to ask him!) of being caught on an attempted murder charge in another state. He wounded the Officer badly via return fire (9MM), but shot placement and the ability to find cover and distance finally ended the episode. I guess he eventually shut down from trauma.  Think this was on the truth report.

I personally know someone who was accosted by two amped up meth heads in an attempted carjacking that were armed.  Both BGs were imobilized instantly by the exchange of fire, but were still moving after the gun was emptied, even with multiple head shots and center mass shots. Speer Gold Dot was the round of choice and it did its job.

I had a friend that was killed in High School by a shooting from a .22  fired from Luger pistol... range 50 yards..hit was in the back of the chest through a winter coat. Died from internal bleeding. The round entered under the left shoulder blade and went up and fragmented and nicked the Aorta. He took a couple of steps and died.

Knew another guy that took a .357 center mass and it lodged in the base of his lower spine/pelvis. He was wearing a Tee shirt and he still carries this round too this day. The only thing he is carrying is the round and the entry wound scar.

Both rounds were hollow points.

I dont laugh at .22 or any caliber and I agree, any gun is better than none when its needed.
Relax, I've banned myself..

HiCarry

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 09:09:56 PM »
OK, since we're talking "knock down" ability.....

California Highway Patrol officer does a routine traffic stop and while sitting in the patrol car running the plate and getting info immediately after the stop, the occupant of the vehicle exited and began advancing on the officer in a very aggrssive manner while making threatening remarks. Officer opens door, draws down on the guy and tells him to stop. He doesn't and continues to advance. Officer empties his 357 on him, reloads and shoots 6 more time. While slowed somewhat, the driver continues to advance. Fearing the driver was under the the influence of the drug dujour, PCP, grabs his shotty and empties it on the still advancing driver. Before the CHP can grab his revolver, the driver relieves the officer of the shot gun, smacks him in the head, knocking him to the ground, and proceeds to dry-fire it at the officer, now lying on the ground. Fortunately, the driver slumps to the ground after a few of those dry-fires. When the driver came into the ED he literally hung over the ends of the gurney, he had to be close to 7 foot tall.....scary. Fortunately the officer's injuries were just a nasty gash to his head.....

So, nothing is going to work all the time, especially when drugs are involved. So, carry/use the biggest caliber you can comfortably shoot and practice so you can hit what you shoot at.....

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »
Wow, that story is unreal. I guess you should be prepared to run after shooting as well.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

HiCarry

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 09:16:24 PM »
Wow, that story is unreal. I guess you should be prepared to run after shooting as well.
When I talked to the officer that night, I asked him why he didn't move away from the vehicle to get away. He said he was in shock that after several good impacts with the 357 and the shotgun and felt like he was immobilized and couldn't move. Good lesson about not letting yourself get lured into thinking what you're going to do is going to work....you should always reassess and be ready to change your tactics as the situation dictates.....it wasn't long after this that the CHP and other California agencies began to change their policies on shooting center mass and allow head shots in similar instances where the aggressor wasn't put down by the COM shots...

Antithesis

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 02:05:34 PM »
Guys, I think we need some perspective here.  These horror stories about invincible criminals are the exception to the rule and not the norm which is why they are such fascinating stories.  The majority of criminals will fall down or flee upon being shot.  The majority of criminals will attempt to flee so they don't get shot.  Criminals willing to charge headlong into gunfire are few and far in between. 

The number one concern for a home defense gun should be the ability to fire the weapon safely, both for the shooter and for innocents around.  The bigger and more powerful the bullet the further it goes and the greater penetration it gets.  So with a bigger caliber bullet you may have better knockdown power against the badguy, you've also potentially shot through your wall, through your neighbor's wall, possibly through your neighbor, and into whatever or whoever else may be beyond depending on where the shooting happens.  This is especially true in Hawaii because homes are built right next to each other and are made out of thinner materials and have a lot of windows because of our warm climate.  It'd be such a shame for you to successfully stop a criminal only to kill or injure an innocent person by accident. 

Stopping the criminal is important, but so is ensuring that the bullet stops without hurting anyone else.  So while some people may argue you need a 357 or a 45 for sheer takedown power, I suggest that a 9mm can be just as effective with a lot less liability and risk. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:43:12 AM by Antithesis »
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
If you wish for peace, prepare for war