Pertaining to 50 cals: Best rhetoric to defend them? Anybody hunt with one? (Read 2123 times)

changemyoil66

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/hawaii-lawmakers-looking-to-ban-50-caliber-guns-ammunition/

KHON2 asked Rhoads why .50 caliber weapons should be banned if criminals do not often use them.

“Because it’s a weapon of war,” Rhoads said, “all these gun bills are drawing lines. There’s a kitchen knife on this side and there’s a nuclear weapon on this side. So, where is it that you allow civilians to keep having it?”

SCOTUS drew the line with Heller. "In common use" and thats minimum of 200,000 (Cayetano SCOTUS taser ruling).

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

macsak

he stated today a mile and a half...

The main guy (Karl RHodes) who has been pushing this a few times now thinks its easy for someone to shoot at a target from a mile away with this gun.

eyeeatingfish

Its about shooting down airplanes.

Does he know something about a terrorist threat that we don't? Sure, a .50 cal would do a lot of damage to an airplane but I wouldn't want to be on a plane during takeoff with even just a .308 being shot at either.

RSN172

Regarding hunting with a .50 cal, my cousin on Molokai hunts deer with a .50 cal, but his is a suppressed PCP rifle, not a firearm.

I don’t know anyone using a powder burning .50 cal for hunting in Hawaii.

Mr Rhoads is an idiot for thinking anyone who buys a .50 cal rifle can just go out and hit a target a mile away.

rpoL98

The main guy (Karl RHodes) who has been pushing this a few times now thinks its easy for someone to shoot at a target from a mile away with this gun.

he stated today a mile and a half...

he must've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express that night.  Improved his knowledge.

Teichi

Was Rhodes around when we had the Tyke the Elephant incident? The community needed a 50 cal readily available back then.

kkhawaii

Does this include 50cal muzzleloaders? It’s very common for muzzle loaders to be 50 cal

macsak

affirmative

Does this include 50cal muzzleloaders? It’s very common for muzzle loaders to be 50 cal

randay

muzzleloaders not included.

".50 caliber rifle" means a centerfire rifle capable of firing a .50 caliber cartridge. ".50 caliber rifle" does not include any antique firearm, any shotgun including a shotgun that has a rifle barrel, or any muzzle-loader which uses black powder for hunting or historical reenactments."

macsak

ah
no focus...

muzzleloaders not included.

".50 caliber rifle" means a centerfire rifle capable of firing a .50 caliber cartridge. ".50 caliber rifle" does not include any antique firearm, any shotgun including a shotgun that has a rifle barrel, or any muzzle-loader which uses black powder for hunting or historical reenactments."

Begle1

of course, 9mm Glock is the most popular choice for the saggy-pants gang-banger population segment.  and Glock-with-switch being the most sought-after.  But Glock switches are already extremely illegal-as hell, six ways to Sunday, banning them would be like beating the dead horse after it came out of the soap factory.

My understanding is that full-auto firearms are no more illegal than any other firearm for felons to possess...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haynes_v._United_States

So if you're already legally barred from owning a gun and you're going to break the law by having a gun anyways... Ought as well go the whole nine yards and convert it to full-auto.

I don’t know anyone using a powder burning .50 cal for hunting in Hawaii.

I'm tempted to get a 50 Beowulf upper just to prove the use case.

808Hunta

To answer op ? Yes, I've used 50 bmg n some 50 bmg variants to hunt here. Also hunt with 50 beowulf as well for a long time now since AA created it.

Begle1

To answer op ? Yes, I've used 50 bmg n some 50 bmg variants to hunt here. Also hunt with 50 beowulf as well for a long time now since AA created it.

Why? I am intrigued to hear some elaboration.

groveler

Probably nobody here in Hawaii hunts with that large a caliber.
Game here is so small here there would not be any meat left!
Here on the big island we have lots of wild cattle, nobody hunts them
Too remote and a big pain to hike out the meat.
Have you every hiked out a 800 pound Elk 400 yards up hill?
you get the idea. Cattle weigh lots more.
This is simple, Democrat politicians are worried about their butts.
They have become so obnoxious and disliked they are worried.
And they recognize this.
The bad news is Hawaii is still at the bottom of the list when it comes to voter turnout nationwide.
so less than a majority of possible Hawaii voters elected these idiots.
 :wave:

« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 01:43:04 AM by groveler »

rpoL98

whether or not 50BMG is used for hunting here in Hawaii or not, is totally off the point.

this is about your right to exercise the 2nd Amendment, and if you think that it's okay to ban 50BMG just because it's useless for hunting here in Hawaii, then you're falling for the Dems trap.  "The 2A isn't about duck hunting" somebody once said.  That means you're willing to sacrifice that to appease Karl Rhoads.  Every year it's a new carve out.

I'd guess there's probably less than 100 Barrett 82's in Hawaii, at the most, maybe 200.

you're throwing those firearms enthusiasts under the bus, just to appease the anti-2A.  I'd bet anybody with a Barrett 82 is a very firm believer in the 2A.

No criminal is ever going to rob the 7-Eleven, or the local Savings & Loan, with a 50BMG rifle.  Ever.
Unless it's a comedy movie.

randay

Why? I am intrigued to hear some elaboration.

Everything is based on the hunter's skill level. If you have a 50bmg, and can hunt with it ethically, you should not need any other special reasons to go hunting with one. Theres also no legal reason as to why you shouldnt be able to do it if you wanted to, unless this bill passes.

Hunters hunt for many different reasons like strictly for meat, for trophy or for sport, extermination, etc. There is a term called fair chase which has to do with ethical hunting. But you decide for yourself what is fair chase, because its kind of based off of your own ability and skills.

You cant honestly state that a certain gun is "too heavy for hunting" or "does too much damage". Its the same kind of thing when they say you dont need an AR for this or that, or you dont need a 30 round magazine, etc...

QUIETShooter

whether or not 50BMG is used for hunting here in Hawaii or not, is totally off the point.

this is about your right to exercise the 2nd Amendment, and if you think that it's okay to ban 50BMG just because it's useless for hunting here in Hawaii, then you're falling for the Dems trap.  "The 2A isn't about duck hunting" somebody once said.  That means you're willing to sacrifice that to appease Karl Rhoads.  Every year it's a new carve out.

I'd guess there's probably less than 100 Barrett 82's in Hawaii, at the most, maybe 200.

you're throwing those firearms enthusiasts under the bus, just to appease the anti-2A.  I'd bet anybody with a Barrett 82 is a very firm believer in the 2A.

No criminal is ever going to rob the 7-Eleven, or the local Savings & Loan, with a 50BMG rifle.  Ever.

I might be a bit off subject but this is why for me personally I believe Bills like SB3196 is blatant and illegal government overreach.  They are being discriminatory as to what I can and cannot legally possess as a private citizen.

This whole 50 cal. fiasco is a good example that shows people like Rhodes are not even trying to understand and learn about firearms.  It is because he and people like him don't really care.

It's not even about public safety and an effort to curb gun violence.  They say so but they are full of shiite.  Their agenda goes past their so called scary and dangerous Assault Weapons.  They aim to disarm all law abiding citizens of ALL firearms.

That is their agenda.  Power and absolute control of the people.

"WE THE PEOPLE"  scares the sh*t out of them.

Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Begle1

At the end of the first hearing on SB3196, Karl Rhoads said that nobody hunted with a 50 cal, so that was part of his rhetoric in favor of his bill.

Section 17 and the 2nd Amendment aren't about hunting, but I don't think it would've been a bad thing, to respond to Rhoads with pictures and anecdotes of Hawaii residents hunting with 50 Alaska/ 500 S&W lever actions, 50 Beowulf, 50 caliber buffalo rifles, etc.

When the task at hand is arguing against a new bill, I ask myself what sort of rhetoric would be persuasive to the undecided voter.

Ideally, I'd want to oppose a bill by pointing out it's fundamentally flawed; it contradicts itself, it's ambiguous, it's demonstratively unconstitutional and is just going to cost the state money in legal fees to defend it, etc. This sort of argument is effective regardless of whether somebody agrees with the intent behind the bill.

Then for a gun prohibition bill, if I can't argue flaws in the legal language, I'm happy if I can argue that it'd affect traditional cultural activities like hunting, small caliber target shooting, or shotgun sports. For whatever reason, "hunting" is often more revered in our culture than a right to self-defense, and fence-sitters who may be afraid of "assault rifles" often aren't afraid of Grandpa's hunting heirloom. Gun grabbers also know this, and usually go out of their way to reassure people that Elmer Fudd-style hunting weapons are not going to be targeted. 

When it comes to opposing things like magazine capacity limits or bans on firearms that don't have traditional "sporting" uses, then it's time to argue fundamental gun rights and self-defense rights. And I'm happy to do so, but I don't expect it to be a winning argument among the masses, in the way it's a winning argument among those on this forum. In my experience, once the argument gets down to quoting the second amendment, undecided eyes glaze over.

I'd say it's still important for some people to argue against ALL firearms regulations with the good ol' Pro-2A rhetoric. It's important to always have that voice, and that's probably the steady voice that'll over time do the most to slide the Overton window. But in the near term, pragmatically speaking, I believe other arguments are more effective to the ears that matter the most.

Everything is based on the hunter's skill level. If you have a 50bmg, and can hunt with it ethically, you should not need any other special reasons to go hunting with one. Theres also no legal reason as to why you shouldnt be able to do it if you wanted to, unless this bill passes.

Hunters hunt for many different reasons like strictly for meat, for trophy or for sport, extermination, etc. There is a term called fair chase which has to do with ethical hunting. But you decide for yourself what is fair chase, because its kind of based off of your own ability and skills.

You cant honestly state that a certain gun is "too heavy for hunting" or "does too much damage". Its the same kind of thing when they say you dont need an AR for this or that, or you dont need a 30 round magazine, etc...

I'm really just curious now about this story behind hunting in Hawaii with a 50 bmg. I would love to hear details about how, when, why this was done. Not from any sort of activist perspective, but because there must be an interesting story behind it.

changemyoil66

At the end of the first hearing on SB3196, Karl Rhoads said that nobody hunted with a 50 cal, so that was part of his rhetoric in favor of his bill.

The anti 2A's only argument left is stuff like this,  You need to show a reason why you want X.  Nevermind the fact that it could be protected by the 2A.

I don't need a reason to own a 50.

hvybarrels

The anti 2A's only argument left is stuff like this,  You need to show a reason why you want X.  Nevermind the fact that it could be protected by the 2A.

I don't need a reason to own a 50.

That's way too much power for someone without the proper...oh wait...

https://honoluluexotics.com/
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”