first AR build (Read 26770 times)

Inspector

Re: first AR build
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2020, 12:16:27 PM »
Very nice shooting. We’ll say that low shot was a gust of wind. 😝
Actually, your comment is not far from the truth. I (used to) shoot a lot of .22 at 100 yards over on the right side of the rifle range. And it was quite obvious that a lot of my shots were being pushed down or pushed to the left when I let loose a shot during a windy period. When I let off a shot with no wind the shots grouped nicely. Being pushed to the left was a more common outcome but being pushed down happened often enough that I finally put a flag out by my frame and I'll be damned the wind really swirls around out there. Including swirling down. So a gust of wind? Absolutely possible.  :P :P :P
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

stangzilla

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2020, 01:09:33 PM »
Actually, your comment is not far from the truth. I (used to) shoot a lot of .22 at 100 yards over on the right side of the rifle range. And it was quite obvious that a lot of my shots were being pushed down or pushed to the left when I let loose a shot during a windy period. When I let off a shot with no wind the shots grouped nicely. Being pushed to the left was a more common outcome but being pushed down happened often enough that I finally put a flag out by my frame and I'll be damned the wind really swirls around out there. Including swirling down. So a gust of wind? Absolutely possible.  :P :P :P
Very nice shooting. We’ll say that low shot was a gust of wind. 😝

it was a gusty day.  rainy too.  could've been the rain pushing the projectile down. 
but I think it was just me.   :shaka:

Heavies

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2020, 05:10:48 PM »
finally shot the rifle
pretty good results.  I'm really satisfied with the outcome. If I were a better shooter, the results would be better. not bad for what I call a medium budget AR. 
5 shot group.  3 shots in the same hole.  throw out the low flyer and its a half MOA.  :geekdanc:

NICE!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

drck1000

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2020, 11:36:19 AM »
it was a gusty day.  rainy too.  could've been the rain pushing the projectile down. 
I revise to "rain pushing the projectile down"  ;D

I am looking forward to testing out FGMM and Black Hills with my LPVO upper.  It's not intended for uber-precision, but it's shown promise with some of my "range fodder" ammo.  I'll try to pick a day that is gusty and rainy.   :P

stangzilla

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2020, 11:54:30 AM »
I brought 69 gr GMM, 68 gr black hills, and 77 gr black hills. I was so happy with my results from the GMM that I didnt even try any of the black hills ammo. I'll save that for next time

drck1000

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2020, 12:54:56 PM »
I brought 69 gr GMM, 68 gr black hills, and 77 gr black hills. I was so happy with my results from the GMM that I didnt even try any of the black hills ammo. I'll save that for next time
I shot BH 77 gr OTM and I have some other BH stuff, but don't know the weights/heads.  I also have 69 and 77 gr SMK FGMM.  Really looking forward to trying the FGMM.  My barrel didn't seem to like the 77 gr OTM, but that was a box of seconds, or at least I wasn't particularly impressed. 

Interesting when a particular gun shoots the much cheaper Hornady American Gunner HP Match better than the more popular match rounds.  Now, I'm always on the lookout for sales on the bulk packs of that ammo.    ;D

WTF?Shane

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2020, 01:33:38 PM »
My 18" barrel didn't like the reloaded (blue box) 77gr OTM Black Hills .223. I haven't tried it in another gun, but didn't feel like buying more.

Gene at HGS told me to try out the Federal Lake City FC262. Same specs as the Black Hills 5.56 stuff. I liked it a lot, but I think Federal stopped making it.

Young Guns has a sale for 77gr IMI Razor Core 5.56. I heard decent stuff about it and will be trying it out as soon as I get some.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:38:57 PM by WTF?Shane »

drck1000

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2020, 03:40:24 PM »
My 18" barrel didn't like the reloaded (blue box) 77gr OTM Black Hills .223. I haven't tried it in another gun, but didn't feel like buying more.

Gene at HGS told me to try out the Federal Lake City FC262. Same specs as the Black Hills 5.56 stuff. I liked it a lot, but I think Federal stopped making it.

Young Guns has a sale for 77gr IMI Razor Core 5.56. I heard decent stuff about it and will be trying it out as soon as I get some.
I had the same blue box of BH (reloaded/remanufactured, not seconds like I mentioned above).  I mean it shot ok, but I had better results with 193.  I haven't shot any of the red box with this particular upper yet.  I'll have to check, but I think I have 69 gr SMK and 75 gr HP. 

stangzilla

« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2020, 08:57:27 AM »
first AR308 build
lower is Aero Precision.  upper is made by Veriforce Tactical using a 18" 10:1 Ballistic Advantage barrel, tank muzzle brake, LuthAR MBA5 stock
waiting on the scope mount to arrive soon
can't wait to shoot it.   :geekdanc:

used this vid for a reference on the build

crazy cat

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2020, 10:31:02 AM »
Rain pushes projectiles up, not down.  FWIW.

robtmc

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2020, 12:28:37 PM »
  rainy too.  could've been the rain pushing the projectile down. 
Think of the probability of even encountering one raindrop during the bullet flight.  The quantitiy of rain to increase the chance of encounter would be amazing.

As to affecting the bullet flight, it would appear the drop could contact the bullet on top, bottom, or sides, so any deflection (if possible) would be random.  The drop is moving far more slowly than the bullet, so any contact would be totally random, regardless of the downward vector of rain.

Wind of course is not so random.

stangzilla

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2020, 01:45:37 PM »
Rain pushes projectiles up, not down.  FWIW.

Think of the probability of even encountering one raindrop during the bullet flight.  The quantitiy of rain to increase the chance of encounter would be amazing.

As to affecting the bullet flight, it would appear the drop could contact the bullet on top, bottom, or sides, so any deflection (if possible) would be random.  The drop is moving far more slowly than the bullet, so any contact would be totally random, regardless of the downward vector of rain.

Wind of course is not so random.

the rain was just a joke.   O0

crazy cat

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2020, 09:27:48 AM »
Rain interacts with the shockwave around the bullet, not the bullet itself.  Since most of the shockwave is behind the bullet, rain pushes it down, causing the tip to go up.  But unless your rifle shoots everything through the same hole, you're not going to notice the effects of rain.  Unless it fogs your scope....

stangzilla

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2020, 08:28:45 AM »
got it all together
hopefully test it out this weekend

drck1000

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2020, 08:45:28 AM »
got it all together
hopefully test it out this weekend

Nice!  Yeah, definitely not going to be shooting next to that brake.   ;D

stangzilla

« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2020, 07:58:27 AM »
tested it with 20 rounds of 150 grain Federal American Eagle and 20 rounds of 168 grain Federal GMM
this was the best group of the day, average was about 1.5".  which was pretty good considering was super windy Saturday morning, even blew my sandbag off the bench
among other parts, I used a JP Enterprise enhanced reliability trigger/hammer spring kit ($7) and a PSA nickel boron/Teflon milspec trigger/hammer ($30).  $37 for a 4 lbs single stage trigger.  it's pretty great for 37 bucks.  no light strikes with the 40 rounds I shot.
still got a couple other parts i'll swap out when they arrive shortly, just a couple minor parts. 
maybe i'll try some reloads next and see how it shoots

drck1000

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2020, 08:30:06 AM »
Awesome!

Yeah, it was pretty windy at the range Sat.  I was at the pistol range from around 11 ish and it was so windy that I could feel the wind pushing me off the line at times.  A squall came through and it was so windy that it was driving the rain probably 5-6 feet inside of the shooting counter/table!  Luckily I was finishing up about then, but the weather was wild! 

Have you tried the 175 gr FGMM?  I've read where many guns show a pretty distinct difference between the two.  I'd have to check my notes, but I've shot both the 175 and 168 in my Rem 700 and I recall them being pretty close. 

stangzilla

« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2020, 09:34:22 AM »
Awesome!

Yeah, it was pretty windy at the range Sat.  I was at the pistol range from around 11 ish and it was so windy that I could feel the wind pushing me off the line at times.  A squall came through and it was so windy that it was driving the rain probably 5-6 feet inside of the shooting counter/table!  Luckily I was finishing up about then, but the weather was wild! 

Have you tried the 175 gr FGMM?  I've read where many guns show a pretty distinct difference between the two.  I'd have to check my notes, but I've shot both the 175 and 168 in my Rem 700 and I recall them being pretty close.

I've tried the 175gr in my bolt gun.  I remember the 168 did slightly better.  but its worth another try in this gun.  different gun, maybe different results.  although the barrels are same length and twist.  18" and 1:10
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 09:40:25 AM by stangzilla »

drck1000

« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2020, 10:19:44 AM »
I've tried the 175gr in my bolt gun.  I remember the 168 did slightly better.  but its worth another try in this gun.  different gun, maybe different results.  although the barrels are same length and twist.  18" and 1:10
I also have Remington Match King 175 gr (I think) that did pretty well.  I got that when it was on sale at OGC.  I can give you some to try if you're interested.  Maybe we need a precision rifle day.   ;D

stangzilla

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2020, 10:43:06 AM »
I also have Remington Match King 175 gr (I think) that did pretty well.  I got that when it was on sale at OGC.  I can give you some to try if you're interested.  Maybe we need a precision rifle day.   ;D

I would be down for that.   :thumbsup: