Indoor Range in Hilo (Read 3704 times)

BUD

Indoor Range in Hilo
« on: August 02, 2014, 10:38:24 AM »
Heard there is an indoor range open in Hilo now.  I don't have anything to do with it but pretty cool that there is another place to shoot.  Check em out.  White Shark Arms.  Right now book apt online, maybe walkins at a later time.   :shaka:
It is what it is.

robtmc

Re: Indoor Range in Hilo
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 10:45:21 AM »
Lucky for the Hilo side guys.

Heard a rumor quite a while ago about someone opening up an indoor range near Kona up by Costco, but nothing since then.

Sucks, now with the liberals from Honolulu and Waikoloa resorts conspiring to kill the public range at Pu'u  Anahulu.

All this land, and nowhere to shoot formally.

BUD

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 11:02:13 AM »
Lucky for the Hilo side guys.

Heard a rumor quite a while ago about someone opening up an indoor range near Kona up by Costco, but nothing since then.

Sucks, now with the liberals from Honolulu and Waikoloa resorts conspiring to kill the public range at Pu'u  Anahulu.

All this land, and nowhere to shoot formally.

They don't seem to understand that if you give people a legal place to shoot, a lot of the dangerous stuff that goes on goes away.  Short sighted. 
It is what it is.

robtmc

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 11:32:11 AM »
They don't seem to understand that if you give people a legal place to shoot, a lot of the dangerous stuff that goes on goes away.  Short sighted.
I strongly suspect the goal is to choke out all shooting opportunities, then all you Neanderthals will see the light and get rid of those scary guns!

Walena

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 02:55:09 PM »
IMO West Hawaii complains and protests a lot, so there's either lots of delays or they get nothing. East Hawaii rarely complains or protests, so they get a lot done faster.

Stopped by White Shark Arms on Friday morning before they opened. Met Doug the owner, who gave us the tour of the place.

Not quite set up yet, but people can rent or bring their own firearms to shoot.

Ammo hasn't arrived yet, so one needs to bring their own.

Neighboring businesses seem to be fine with the range there (industrial area).

Prices are good, that's why the place has been busy so far.

I'll be visiting there more because it's only a couple of miles from home, and it's great when it's been raining like it has.

SOLEsource684

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 06:31:01 PM »
I went by on their first day open. It's a great place to go, they're still getting everything situated but this is an awesome win for the 2A community on the Big Island. Stop by if you're in Hilo and check them out the staff is friendly!

yurcarmeean

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 07:53:30 PM »
with all that space an outdoor range would be nice on the Big island, nonetheless, congrats Hilo!   does anyone know how many lanes?
If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.

RSN172

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 11:02:59 PM »
I recently bought a home on the Big Island, 3 acres fully fenced ag land, closest neighbor 550 ft away with forest reserve in the back.  I have been shooting every now and then on my property and no one has said anything.  I met one neighbor before moving there and she told me, "we all watch out for each other here and all of us have guns."  This is without me telling her anything about being a gun enthusiast.  I love it here where you might have one vehicle pass by your home every 2 hours, can't even see your closest neighbor and they all like guns.  On Oahu I had to be careful about shooting my air rifle and pistol on my tiny 7500 sq ft lot.  Still haven't had a chance to check out any of the gun shops here.

SOLEsource684

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 01:17:02 AM »
3 dedicated lanes as of now not entirely too sure if they are going to add more but I spoke to the owner he said the have rolling additions that can brought out and set up if need be.

GreenStomper

• Trade Count: (+83)
  • If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 10:11:57 AM »
Congrats Hilo!
A step in  the right direction for the islands.
God, guns, and guts made America. Let's keep all three!

Walena

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 12:24:22 PM »
with all that space an outdoor range would be nice on the Big island, nonetheless, congrats Hilo!   does anyone know how many lanes?

They can accommodate up to 12 lanes with up to 2 shooters per lane. There are 3 fixed lanes with partitions. For some unknown reason, Doug said that the county inspector told him that that's all that's allowed. The rest of the partitions can be rolled out and locked in place as needed. Back in the 90's, Kona had an indoor range. It had 12 lanes, the storefront and a lounge with large windows where everyone could sit and watch the shooters and or matches.

Seigii

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 12:52:06 PM »
robtmc
There was an indoor range in kona in building right below the Costco parking lot.  It closed around 2000.  Last owner was cool, more of a gun guy than a businessman.  He said the insurance for it was insane.  The building is still there, don't know what's in there now though.

paulb3

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 09:07:08 AM »