Self Protection (Read 23319 times)

1voyager1

Self Protection
« on: April 10, 2015, 01:16:55 PM »
Several people in our sub division, while bicycling around the residential area, have felt threatened by dobie type dogs running loose.in the streets.
I had an encounter with a group [pack?] of 3 of them today.

When I made my decision to move here from AK., I knowingly gave up my right to defend myself from attack with a firearm.
So, my question:
Will I run into problems caused by carrying a RTAK knife while bicycling around the sub division?
If not that, what about a regular hunting knife?

They are both tools, but can double as defensive weapons.

An armed society is a polite society.

talula

Re: Self Protection
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »
Pepper spray works wonders on dogs. We use it in the postal service.
Every ones a good person. You just might be catching them in a bad time of their life.

Bcspy

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »
Guava stick strap to your bike. Light and very hard.

rellik

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 03:06:33 PM »
Try one of these.

http://www.topairgun.com/repeating-pcp-air-pistols

It will kill and is not a firearm.  Pricey, but hey, it's cheaper than
the emergency room.   I'd paint the barrel orange just in case.
been too many Americans beat up and shot lately.

s197

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 04:56:44 PM »
Call the humane society

1voyager1

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 05:33:01 PM »
Thanks guys for your responses.
But, no one has answered my question.

I'll rephrase it:
What are the state's and/or county's regulations regarding the open carry of things on a belt and in a sheath ranging from knives to machetes?
Are they viewed and regulated similarly to the way open carried handguns are?   

Q

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 07:47:45 PM »
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 02:27:22 AM by Q »

pantyhamster

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 06:22:34 AM »
Call the humane society

As anyone who has had issues with neighbors letting their dogs run loose knows, this is as useless as t!ts on a bull. ???

RSN172

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 06:59:44 AM »
From calling HPD directly about 5 years ago, they told me there was no restriction on blade length.  Specific types of knives are prohibited, such as daggers, switchblades, butterflies and those others listed under the HRS.  My friend's 23 yr old son started carrying his Cold Steel Kopis machete in his backpack after that.  I personally like to carry 2 Spyderco Street Bowies, one on each side.  I personally think a long blade like a machete will be too slow to deploy in most self defense situations, although it would be great if it was already in your hand.

one2boost

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 07:14:24 AM »
Good to know, I guess I should hit up my pops for one of his cane knives.

Q

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 08:33:05 PM »
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 02:27:52 AM by Q »

1voyager1

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 12:18:31 AM »
Thanks for your input folks.
Haven't seen those dogs since.
The owners may have heard my squawking around the area.
They had been reported a few times before that.

Anyway, I can still carry the RTAK knife if needed.
It is shorter than a machete and easier to wield.
But, I think that I have found the perfect thing, a 3' assegai.
The only shortcoming I can think of is if against multiple dogs trained to attack hands with weapons.
But, I don't think these dogs are that finely tuned.
I will feel secure with this if it is needed.

Q

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 02:19:38 AM »
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 12:44:21 PM by Q »

RSN172

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 11:28:01 PM »
A Cold Steel shambok would also be an excellent choice to inflict severe pain but not kill the dog. 

mauiboi9

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 11:57:31 PM »
I have had run ins with lose dogs around my house. neighbor has a pitbull that gets loose at times. The dog mangled some stray kittens that were living in our bbq shack. So i was afraid that one night ill be out smoking a cig and this buggers gonna come in and bite me. So i asked a cop whos a friend. He said when you see him loose call and make a report. If there is a track record and the reports are proof that its happening. When and if you do do something to protect yourself it makes you look better that its been an ongoing problem that you tried to solve by making a report. Vs taking it upon yourself and just doing something. Might make it seem malicious on your end. Its your word vs theirs. Just my 2 cents. ive made numerous reports and at night ill carry my pistol on me if i smoke late at night at my house. Just hope dont have to use it.
Im a recoil junkie

BigBlue

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 12:10:52 AM »
So I grew up in 3rd world countries with packs of semi-wild dogs everywhere.

I am going to ignore your knife question because a knife is a poor tool for defense against a dog. I've been attacked by dogs and you don't want to let them that close. Would you defend yourself against wolves with a knife?

As a kid I always used a big stick and a stare. Body language is very important. Pepper spray should also work but you need to have it handy at all times. That's why sticks are great - you carry them, they're cheap, cops won't give a shit.

Q

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 04:34:27 PM »
A Cold Steel shambok would also be an excellent choice to inflict severe pain but not kill the dog.

The cold steel sjambok is garbage, unless your intention is pissing off the dog. The design is flawed in that it's too stiff, and you can't really generate a whip/crack effect. I also have the CS sjambok and it was a waste of $25; wish the real ones were still available. I only saw a real hippo hide sjambok in person once and I can tell you I definitely would not want to be hit by that thing, because the crack had the potential to slice.

So I grew up in 3rd world countries with packs of semi-wild dogs everywhere.

I am going to ignore your knife question because a knife is a poor tool for defense against a dog. I've been attacked by dogs and you don't want to let them that close. Would you defend yourself against wolves with a knife?

As a kid I always used a big stick and a stare. Body language is very important. Pepper spray should also work but you need to have it handy at all times. That's why sticks are great - you carry them, they're cheap, cops won't give a shit.

That's why my grandfather modified old golf clubs into spear walking sticks. Probably wouldn't be able to stop a 200# wolf hybrid, but works just fine as a penetration weapon and for keeping distance on normal sized dogs.

paka808

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 10:59:54 PM »
I agree with talula.Pepper spray is a good choice, make sure your down wind. :thumbsup:

one2boost

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 07:00:07 AM »
How about a can of CarbKleen?  It burns the eyes.  I got a lot of that sitting on the shelf.

paka808

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 05:22:27 PM »
How about a can of CarbKleen?  It burns the eyes.  I got a lot of that sitting on the shelf.
we talking from experience.lol. :D