Jeff Cooper's thoughts on mindset (Read 2438 times)

Cougar8045

Jeff Cooper's thoughts on mindset
« on: September 04, 2011, 11:13:25 PM »
I'm reading the book On Killing by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.  It's a book about psychology and warfare, and it has much to say about soldiers in combat, and the general human resistance to killing another human.  It's kind of an interesting read, although he consistently claims that "the vast majority" of combat veterans eventually lapse into insanity, which I think is a bit sensational, and probably slanted just a bit.  Anyway, in the book, he quotes Jeff Cooper, and there's a pretty good takeaway there about the proper mindset for anybody who practices or intends to use their firearms for defense of themselves or others:

Any study of the atrocity list of recent years -- Starkweather, Speck, Manson, Richard Hickok, and Cary Smith, et al -- shows immediately that the victims, by their appalling ineptitude and timidity, virtually assisted in their own murders...
Any man who is a man may not, in honor, submit to threats of violence.  But many men who are not cowards are simply unprepared for the fact of human savagery.  They have not thought about it (incredible as this may appear to anyone who reads the papers or listens to the news) and they just don't know what to do.  When they look right into the face of depravity or violence they are astonished and confounded.

Good point, Mr. Cooper.  I shall endeavor to be prepared for the fact of human savagery, so that I may act quickly and decisively to defend myself and my family.
I'm just a fluffy white bunny rabbit who lost his way. 

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2

Heavies

Re: Jeff Cooper's thoughts on mindset
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 04:47:45 AM »
-- shows immediately that the victims, by their appalling ineptitude and timidity, virtually assisted in their own murders...

Scarey, sad, true...  Especially for the fact that in this state, the powers that be, enable the criminal with more rights than that of the victim.

If one needed to kill to defend, one needs to worry about being punished by the states plethora of confusing weapons and self defense laws.  No constants, no clear cut definitions!  Who can remember all that sh*t!  I'm sure even lawyers cannot!

This pause,  thus giving the bad guy enough time to do their dastardly deed. :'(

oldfart

Re: Jeff Cooper's thoughts on mindset
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 03:50:09 AM »
Posted on behalf of 2A brother Eric808.
This thread is worth keeping alive since many newbies here may never have heard of Col. Jeff.
Anyone who contemplates owning and/or using a firearm for defensive purposes should at least familiarize themselves with some of his basic principles.
Here is a wiki link to get an idea of what I'm talking about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper

What, Me Worry?