Did pistols have to be registered 30 years ago? (Read 3675 times)

Jbaroune

Did pistols have to be registered 30 years ago?
« on: May 02, 2015, 05:39:49 PM »
My aunty showed me her revolver she bought roughly 30 years ago she claims. She bought it them took it home and been in storage ever since.  She said she doesn't remember ever taking it to the PD to register it so i wanted to know if registration was required back then.  She never took a safety course so  has no firearm affidavit.  Can she legally have this gun? Does she need to get to take a safety class then go get it registered?

mauidog

Re: Did pistols have to be registered 30 years ago?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 05:56:02 PM »
My aunty showed me her revolver she bought roughly 30 years ago she claims. She bought it them took it home and been in storage ever since.  She said she doesn't remember ever taking it to the PD to register it so i wanted to know if registration was required back then.  She never took a safety course so  has no firearm affidavit.  Can she legally have this gun? Does she need to get to take a safety class then go get it registered?

I think that's the right answer.  I have a feeling she'll either need the training document, or she'll need to apply for a long gun permit so they can run the background check.

Rifles and shotguns acquired pre-1994 are grandfathered and not required to be registered.  All handguns, with the exception of black powder and 1899 vintage or older, must be registered.

That's the way I understand it, anyway.  Best thing is to call the Firearms Section at the PD and ask.
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

suka

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 06:01:39 PM »
pistols have always been required to be registered. It wasn't really enforced back them.

she'll need to complete the training course or transfer it to someone with a completed course or FFL dealer.

RSN172

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 07:12:05 PM »
I bought my first handgun in 1971 and this was the procedure back then.  Go to gun store and select gun you want to buy.  Pay for it and take receipt to HPD to get the permit.  Take permit back to gun store and get your handgun.  Take it back to HPD to register.  Since SEC was right across HPD, everything could be completed in about an hour.  Long guns could just be purchased with no permit and no registration. So the answer to your question is yes in Hawaii even 40 years ago. 

xer 21

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
pistols have always been required to be registered. It wasn't really enforced back them.

she'll need to complete the training course or transfer it to someone with a completed course or FFL dealer.
couldnt she "bring it from the mainland"?

suka

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 09:24:45 PM »
oh course!

nobody knows!!! ::)

Jbaroune

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 11:21:22 PM »
she bought from SEC right across hpd and took it straight home. Maybe she just doesn't remember registering it. I'll call hpd on Monday to see if it's registered. If it's not  I wonder if they're gonna make her take the safety course. I'm going to make her take anyway since she has no idea how to use the gun.  She bought it 30 years ago and today she asked me to teach her how to use it. Smh...

Barrett808

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 01:35:24 AM »
she bought from SEC right across hpd and took it straight home. Maybe she just doesn't remember registering it. I'll call hpd on Monday to see if it's registered. If it's not  I wonder if they're gonna make her take the safety course. I'm going to make her take anyway since she has no idea how to use the gun.  She bought it 30 years ago and today she asked me to teach her how to use it. Smh...
Yikes...
If she didn't registered it....
Most likely get confiscated by HPD.
Hope it doesn't create any problems for your family.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 02:03:54 AM by Barrett808 »

Super Dave

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 09:28:54 PM »
Turning your aunt in to HPD? 

Mynah

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 07:47:24 PM »
I'm curious what the out come was; did you get the hand gun registered? 

Jbaroune

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 09:10:22 PM »
I'm curious what the out come was; did you get the hand gun registered?

Next time i go to my aunties house i have to get the serial number so i can have HPD run it.  PD said she probably just don't remember registering it.

Super Dave

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 11:05:19 PM »
Dont do it.  Let it be bro. 

jc2721

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 04:41:58 PM »
I just bought a used .22 pistol that had the original 1948-dated Territory of Hawaii registration paper in the box.  So, yes, pistols did have to be registered, even before HI became a state.

Before the two-week waiting period was instituted, I remember that you had to take the S/N of the pistol down to HPD, you filled out the paperwork and they gave you the form right then and there.  You took the form back to the gunshop, completed the 4473, then returned to HPD with the completed permit and they registered it to you then and there. 

Can't help you with your aunt's memory though, but she would have had to get the permit from HPD in the first place.  If she didn't register it afterwards the cops would have called her about it.